The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What can AV even do with this team?

Sixteen W's

This team has had problems scoring since the second half of the last season but managed to keep winning with some spectacular netminding. Now that Schneider and Luongo have been looking average at best and the powerplay is dead, it's no wonder this team's fighting for a playoff spot instead of the president's tropy.

There's a lot of talent down the line up, but most players have pretty average shots. This is why everyone hates shootouts or why I don't get that excited even on breakaways.

I don't like AV that much, but putting Ballard on the powerplay or whatever people have been suggesting won't make much difference at this point.

The team's been playing with no urgency without any encouraging signs. There's still Kesler and Bieksa injured but that's not an excuse for the rest of the team looking like they've given up.

It's AV's job to find a way to create some urgency. The players should already be motivated, and we know MG won't make a trade to get them going.

I agree though, I don't get excited on breakaways anymore. Hell, I don't get excited at all anymore. The team is just not fun to watch when they don't give it their all.

what scares is me is that we don't even have that much to trade... was trying to think of a way to get John Tavares or Corey Perry.. we can't trade the Sedins obviously, Kelser is injury prone, Edler is currently doing terrible, Burrows is useful to us but not sure if other teams would even want him, Booth won't get much return, can't trade Bieksa, Hamhuis, Higgins, Hansen, Tanev otherwise we have no players. If Schneider continues to lose momentum, what's left that other teams would actually want?

I agree. A point I haven't seen is how many 'contenders' this year are tanking as much as if not harder then us. Philly, Tampa, Washington, Rangers... I think its an issue of burn out. I just think the mentality of always trying to be the top dog all the time burns a team out. Add to the mix that the lower teams are trying even harder to pass you, eventually its going to happen. I don't think its something AV can control, maybe just something that the team has to manage and work through. I think Av is doing the best he can with what he has. Ever since he got that penalty for talking to the refs he's been easily agitated it seems. I will give this group some time, let them play it out. We will likely squeak into the playoffs who knows, but I trust MG to make the appropriate changes when necessary. I doubt we are winning a cup this year, so we aren't under extreme pressure to make a move.

what scares is me is that we don't even have that much to trade... was trying to think of a way to get John Tavares or Corey Perry.. we can't trade the Sedins obviously, Kelser is injury prone, Edler is currently doing terrible, Burrows is useful to us but not sure if other teams would even want him, Booth won't get much return, can't trade Bieksa, Hamhuis, Higgins, Hansen, Tanev otherwise we have no players. If Schneider continues to lose momentum, what's left that other teams would actually want?

So.....is Scott Arniel thinking of heading to Vancouver ? I like AV but without his one major weapon ( face off's and zone starts ) he's like a fish out of water. If MG can't bring in some one like Antoine Vermette 61% or Paul Gaustad 60.8% to allow him to control the game better he's toast. Gillis knows what makes the system works so if no face off guy turn up in a trade it mean Gillis has given up on AV as well. I'm not so concerned with the PP as long as they have a plan to change it up come the play-offs why show your hand now, just get into the play-offs and then go to a one goalie and ride him, this back and forth has both their heads screwed up and Gillis knows that to. Keslers return will undoubtly help.

Funny how back in 06-07 when AV became the Canucks coach he was given the Jack Adams award for being the so called best coach, even though it was the first year Luongo was here, and played one of his best years ever. The Canucks back then were not as solid as they are today, so there wasn't big expectations so everyone figured AV was this great coach and deserved the Jack Adams.

Funny how he is kinda in the same situation this year, the team isn't as solid as it was last year, with injuries, and he's not getting the goaltending to bail him out like he did in 06-07. Without the goaltending like Luongo was in 06-07 AV is useless, and it's defintially showing now. If the goaltending was as sharp as Luongo was back in 06-07 everyone would be bowing down to AV and still saying how good of a coach he is, but goaltending isn't bailing him out and he can't do anything else because he sucks.

Funny how back in 06-07 when AV became the Canucks coach he was given the Jack Adams award for being the so called best coach, even though it was the first year Luongo was here, and played one of his best years ever. The Canucks back then were not as solid as they are today, so there wasn't big expectations so everyone figured AV was this great coach and deserved the Jack Adams.

Funny how he is kinda in the same situation this year, the team isn't as solid as it was last year, with injuries, and he's not getting the goaltending to bail him out like he did in 06-07. Without the goaltending like Luongo was in 06-07 AV is useless, and it's defintially showing now. If the goaltending was as sharp as Luongo was back in 06-07 everyone would be bowing down to AV and still saying how good of a coach he is, but goaltending isn't bailing him out and he can't do anything else because he sucks.

This team has so many holes, its not even funny... don't even know where to start but the damage started over a year ago(almost two) and don't think its all AV's fault.

Team needs to be cleaned and sadly the players making some big $ are not worth a lot due to average to sub average play... Ballard, Booth, Edler, Garisson and sadly even our goalies are not performing to their potential.

Archived