The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What can AV even do with this team?

Sixteen W's

And I really get sick of people thinking it is enough of an accomplishment to not change things that are quite obviously not working anymore. The PT is fine. But if you turn around and play like crap in the playoffs, what was the point of winning it? So you have something to be proud of when you lose?

I never said winning the cup was easy. Just like I think the injury excuse is pretty pathetic too. Sure getting injuries has an impact. But like with most AV supporters, it comes down to excuses and sitting on past achievements. A coach who makes a difference would have had all 23 guys and more confident, feeling like they were important to the team, and ready to play when the injuries inevitably came calling. AV instead chose to rely on what was left of his regulars.

And please, Luongo is the only reason the SCF even made it to 7 games. Without him it would have been a sweep for Boston. But let's blame his bad games and injuries solely for the loss. AV also got badly outcoached by someone who is not as stubborn......simple as that.

Unlike the actual AV haters, I have never said he is a bad coach. I just think he is a bad coach for this team after this long when things are going the way they are. There really is a difference there.

I also never said the Canucks even had a chance last year. They didn't. And they won the President's Trophy without playing well enough to really deserve to if you ask me. FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY. But the fact that they thought they had a chance with the deficiencies they had - much the same as they think they are playing well now when they are not - should really concern us. How many more chances will this team have to win a cup? Looks like none at this point unless there are changes.

Rup, it's getting past the point of ridiculous now. It's not about getting a chance for Alberts and Barker to cycle in and get some starts.

It's about the fact that the coach hasn't done that with a single one of his other top 5 D all season. The only reason Barker got any games at all was because Bieksa got injured. In a short season like this there's no reason not to give another player a night off in a back-to-back if they seems to be fatigued or struggled the previous game. If AV's only answer to cycling the D is to sit Ballard then he has no more tools in the toolbox.

They didn't even rest Bieksa, coming off of an injury , to play LA. They sat Ballard in favour of Alberts and Bieksa got pushed too far and re-injured himself. It's absolutely brutal personnel management. I can't understand how anyone would defend it, and I can't see a single coach in the NHL doing the same thing under the same circumstances.

If our D is tired for Round 1 this will be the primary cause. Our only rested D will be Barker, Ballard and Alberts. Do you see AV suddenly switching it up and leaning on them if our legs aren't there? I don't and it wouldn't be wise to expect those three to be able to step into the role when they haven't had any minutes doing it all year.

I certainly hope this does not happen a second time........if it does though I think that raises some questions about Av and Gillis as well. They have all this depth so there is no need at all to rush a guy with a groin injury.....

Didn't Bieksa sort of hint last time that he was not 100% but AV said he looked fine and sure enough he was in the lineup?

Archived