The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we really want to be "buyers" at the deadline?

Once everyone is fit I think we need 2 players, good ones.......a big gritty 2nd line D and a sniping centre OR winger who can chuck the mitts.

We are not in a place where we should trade, other than say Cory or Lu (I prefer to keep Lu) because nearly all our players are under performing. I would like to have got van Reimsdyk but I think that bus has left. Bobby Ryan/Clowe perhaps and Komisarek would see us fine for the journey imo.

I keep saying, it is MG's job to identify the players and then set about acquiring them. But we certainly need these two holes filled and quick imo. Many of us have been saying that for over a year now.

I would be okay with moving Edler only in a limited sense. It would have to return us a top-four caliber defender, preferably a right-handed shot, or a blue-chip prospect of the same description. Eddie is having a poor season so far, but I don't necessarily believe that his play right now is indicative of his ability. I believe that he'll eventually return to the form a=that garnered him his current contract.

What "garnered" him his current contract was MG's decision to jump the gun for reasons I will never be able to understand. When I think that Edler's salary next year ($5M) goes head-to-head with what Hossa, Jeff Carter (both $5.3) and Bobby Ryan ($5.1M) are making, I get a terrible headache.

MG has a tough job, I know. Unfortunately, he has made several errors lately, between procrastinating and pulling the trigger on the wrong deals (e.g. Edler's). But the Canucks owners don't seem to either understand or care.

What "garnered" him his current contract was MG's decision to jump the gun for reasons I will never be able to understand.  When I think that Edler's salary next year ($5M) goes head-to-head with what Hossa, Jeff Carter (both $5.3) and Bobby Ryan ($5.1M) are making, I get a terrible headache.  

IMO I think we should be a little of both. For once I would like to see MG gamble a little bit. For the last 2-3 years all he has been doing is making little tweaks here and there. I'm not counting the Cody H. trade as a gamble. Just like in any game there comes a point when you have a GAMBLE. It takes only one good BOLD move to make a good team GREAT.

I say enough tinkering around. Go after the big fishes and trade the little ones away. That's the only way to win. On a side note for the people who are so concerned about our future players; how about we win a cup first and then worry about that later? I would like to see the Canucks hoist up a cup before I die. I don't want to see President's Trophy winners year after year!

ps- MG needs to start micro managing AV. On some nights like tonight I wonder to myself what AV must be thinking to sub Barker for a presumably healthy Ballard. Wow!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with this.

It's easy to sit back and criticize Gillis' decision based on Edler's play so far this season, but unfortunately, he did not have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

The fact is, Edler finished last season tied for 6th in scoring amongst NHL defensemen. 5 million per is actually less than the going rate for guys in that class. In fact, the only player in the top 8 with a lower Cap hit than Edler is Alex Pietrangelo, but he won't be anywhere near that when his current deal runs out.

I don't think we are going to be buyers nor sellers.

Specially with our palyoff spot not guaranteed, we can trade Raymond, Schroeder, Higgins, without some NHL level player to fill their shoes.

With that said I don't we are going to be buyers. What i Mean is I don't think we will go after a rental player like Morrow and Iginla, but I think we'll go after signed players, or players we intend to sign for years to come. I don't think we get a Pahlsson, unless it's really cheap 4th pick and up

I respect your opinion. But you're wrong assuming that I am judging Edler based solely on this season - I have never liked him, since I have always observed his numerous frustratingly weak defensive plays. OK, I loved his hit on Doughty in the 2010 Playoffs, gotta' admit that :-)

Yes he sometimes scored quite a bit, but I would personally have settled for a less "cardiac player" than him (less scoring, but more solid defensively), for a smaller salary. Good luck moving him now, IMHO he is becoming less marketable every day.

Hope you're right, 'cause my scenario sucks.

Archived