The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tired of people defending of Cory.

VMR

I'm tired of people defending Luongo.

Cory hasn't been awesome this year, but he's only played 14 games and the Luongo Fan Club is chasing after him with torches and pitchforks.

Luongo was given so much more slack before anyone gave up on him, so very much more, but Cory gets 14 regular season games and he's a write off?

Personally I'll give Cory the same benefit I gave Luongo before I gave up on him. 5 full seasons, 4 playoff appearances, 4 series implosions.

Some of these fans make me sick. Baggins, I'm appalled at what you're saying about the best goalie this city ever saw.

Get your head out of your a$$ and face the facts. At the end of the day, after all the chokes and godlike games, Luongo is the best goaltender in the history of the Vancouver Canucks. Yet, the management (and the fans) treat him like a scrub goalie who is supposedly a failure and a choker because he couldn't score 3+ goals a game on top of what he did to win the cup.

Sure, Schneider is showing promise. But if you decide to unceremoniously run out a star player like Lu in favor of a goalie who has POTENTIAL to be a star player, well, I'm out. This fanbase is seriously making me consider to stop watching Vancouver hockey. I'm out of here.

This entire team has sucked so far except for a few players:

Bieksa - brilliant goal scoring and surprisingly sound defensively, plus some amazing defensive play.

The Sedins - still scoring at a point-per-game and leading this team

Luongo - far better than Schneider, don't even bother arguing this

Mason Raymond - not consistently great, but he's exceeded expectations

That's the Vancouver Canucks core leadership players and right now they're the only ones playing well. We have a few star players who are underperforming and bringing this team down, namely:

Alex Edler - probably one of if not the worst Canuck to date

Dan Hamhuis - been brutal in his own zone, far from a defensive stalwart, but is chipping in assists

Booth - lots of great physical play and more chances than anyone else, but no finish

Schneider - the biggest disappointment so far. People's expectations were always too high for him, and he has not handled the pressure of playing as a starting goalie well at all. Luongo is playing behind the same defence and has a GAA better than Schneider by more than half a goal. Schneider clearly isn't ready for a starting role, and meanwhile Luongo is just hitting his prime.

Quite simply - Luongo gives the Canucks a FAR better chance to win games right now. I'm sure Schneider will end up being a star goalie in this league, but in 2013 he is definately not one of them. The problem is, this team doesn't have 2 or 3 years to wait for him to develop into that star - we need a star goalie now, and that man is Roberto Luongo.

It still baffles me that people think Cory is our starter when all he's done is consistently let in bad goals all season, especially at bad times. Meanwhile Luongo throws 1 bad game and plays clutch hockey in every single other game with huge timely saves when it matters most. In terms of playoff hockey, guess which type of goalie will win us more games - the consistently bad goalie or a goalie that blows the occasional game big time but is stellar in every other game? A loss is a loss in the playoffs, Luongo knows how to bounce back better than anyone else on this team and he's the reason we should stick with him, not Schneider. The stats don't lie.

God the irony is incredible here, roberto has the most support, and most defenders, and most insane outspoken loyal fans i have ever seen. You say one bad word you have legions of people jumping down your throat.

And your tired of corys fans defending him?

Cory has been taking a beating, bashed, and blamed by lou's fanbase the minute he started playing well last year. He should be so lucky to have the luxury like roberto has who was given numerous chances and post season meltdowns to prove his worth, fans cant even give cory some regular season games without complaining about him. If we gave schneider the same amount of opportunities roberto had it would be a god send.

Are the owners and CDC ok with giving CS a few regular season to prove himself even at the cost of missing the playoff each year? Luongo was already a proven player before he came to Vancouver and he's proven over and over again he can at the very least carry the team into the playoff.. in the playoff he's been godly at times and mediocre at others.. CS meanwhile haven't proven he can at the very least carry the team into the playoff his play this year is average at best and i don't think gillis or av can afford to play him every night and hope they can get into the playoff with CS. CS really only had that game against chicago where he stole us a point.. and it's not even the team not showing up.. Vancouver played well say maybe the defense.. but CS haven't really had a game where he stole us a game by standing on his heard when the ENTIRE TEAM is playing like crap. as a matter of fact i don't recall CS stealing a game for the canucks when they are playing absolutely abysmal. he might have played great and kept us in the game. but he didn't steal us a win out of it. i'm interested to know.. how many games have CS won where the score is 1-0 2-0 with and empty net or even 2-1 with him absolutely standing on his head? how many games have CS won where the canucks have scored 2 goals or less?

Both goalies have been okay. Not amazing. But pretty good. Luongo's been less rattled.

They haven't stolen many games, but they've bailed out and kept the team in alot of games.

To be fair, Lundqvist/Rinne/Price etc.... would also look pretty garbage, the way this D has been.

Here's what I think: I think our fans have unrealistic expectations at times. NO goaltender will be perfect and play lights out every game. ALL goaltenders will have off games and let in bad goals. But, under the glaring microscope here, people determine based on a game to game basis as to "good/bad". Sure, there'll be good/bad performances - doesn't determine overall that they're good or bad goaltenders. You need a bigger sample size with an overall look at things to make that assessment. Mine is that we currently have two good goaltenders.

We have a lot of bipolar fans who need immediate answers. It's an era of instant gratfication but a career is just that - one game does not make/break it. Other goaltenders are hot right now and they get compared against ours, but there are none who never falter, so it's important to take the bad with the good.

I'm a Lu fan - first and foremost, but have resorted to the fact that he's likely leaving (would love if he didn't). With that, I throw my full support behind Cory...he's certainly earned our respect and patience for how he's conducted himself throughout this entire goaltender ordeal.

As to blaming Lu and not Cory...I think, at first, Lu was afforded the same luxury and let off the hook more, but people turned on him. Which they tend to do here (they also have short memories in a "what have you done for me lately?" way)

God the irony is incredible here, roberto has the most support, and most defenders, and most insane outspoken loyal fans i have ever seen. You say one bad word you have legions of people jumping down your throat.

And your tired of corys fans defending him?

Cory has been taking a beating, bashed, and blamed by lou's fanbase the minute he started playing well last year. He should be so lucky to have the luxury like roberto has who was given numerous chances and post season meltdowns to prove his worth, fans cant even give cory some regular season games without complaining about him. If we gave schneider the same amount of opportunities roberto had it would be a god send.

Here's what I think: I think our fans have unrealistic expectations at times. NO goaltender will be perfect and play lights out every game. ALL goaltenders will have off games and let in bad goals. But, under the glaring microscope here, people determine based on a game to game basis as to "good/bad". Sure, there'll be good/bad performances - doesn't determine overall that they're good or bad goaltenders. You need a bigger sample size with an overall look at things to make that assessment. Mine is that we currently have two good goaltenders.

We have a lot of bipolar fans who need immediate answers. It's an era of instant gratfication but a career is just that - one game does not make/break it. Other goaltenders are hot right now and they get compared against ours, but there are none who never falter, so it's important to take the bad with the good.

I'm a Lu fan - first and foremost, but have resorted to the fact that he's likely leaving (would love if he didn't). With that, I throw my full support behind Cory...he's certainly earned our respect and patience for how he's conducted himself throughout this entire goaltender ordeal.

As to blaming Lu and not Cory...I think, at first, Lu was afforded the same luxury and let off the hook more, but people turned on him. Which they tend to do here (they also have short memories in a "what have you done for me lately?" way).

That Chicago game was one of the best goal tending performances i've seen from a goalie in long time. Cory was unbelievable.

VMR you have to remember the value Cory brings on top of just his game play. He also comes with a $1.33 million cap hit less than Luongo. Luongo is that much more under the micro scope since his salary is a bigger percentage of the overall teams cap hit. He's expected to be that much better. 1.33 mil is a much more dramatic number than people realize. Compare what you get from a $4 million defense men to $5 million one. The cap pie is only so big. Can Luongo really hold his value on this team for the next 9 years? Or will we get the best value for him at this point in his career. (think of flames and Iginla)

Now look at things from a business point of view, since that’s what this hockey team is. Luongo is making 6.617 compared to Schneider 3.5. Is Luongo and is contract really worth almost double that of Cory’s. Has Luongo play really been that much better if at all then Cory that he deserves double? I am a business owner and there’s no way I’d be happy to pay two employees with relatively the same skillset, completely different wages. My value would be in the cheaper employee.

You're appalled I posted last seasons stats? Boo freakin' hoo. Those stats are the facts.

Where have I treated Lou like a scrub goalie? I simply believe Schneider to be the better goalie. Don't like it, go ahead and get out. Both won't be here come next season. We won't miss you when you're a fan of Lou's new team.

Btw, nobody expected Lou to score. We only expected him to stop the puck. When you put your team down four or more in the playoffs you won't win many games even if everybody is completely healthy. Also, I've said many times that I blame injuries more than anything for the finals loss. So get over self righteous self.

Hey, if you tell half the story then I can do the same right? You stats and facts seem to conveniently forget Luongo's good games, which actually far outnumber his bad ones.

You still believe Schneider is the better goalie? What has he done so far to prove that? Not really anything. Even with the small sample sizes shown in this season, Schneider has not proven that he is the better goaltender. Actually, I get worried a lot when Schneider plays because he continuously makes boneheaded plays with the puck (actually cost us a goal) and also when he continues to cheat on tight angles (something people used to flame Luongo for).

Both won't be here next season? I'm not even going to bother answering that.

Well, he did stop the puck, more than enough to give this team a chance. The forwards, however, were expected to score, and they pretty much failed to do that the entire playoffs except most of the Sharks series.We got to the SCF from goaltending, face it. This team has terrible offense and you simply can't blame Luongo.

Deb I agree. Great Post!

I am a Lou fan and would like it if he stayed, but I know he is likely not going to.

Cory will be a star, I know he has it in him. In my opinion, he has been built up by fans/media as a saving grace fair or not and so far he has not lived up to these expectations. I want to see better if he is taking over.

I know it has been a small sample size of games, but last season when he was the backup and "took over" as people say, he did not play that many more games and had better outcomes.

Anyone, has he played any lights out game this season? I don't think he has maybe The shutout he had? To the die hard supporters, why does this not scare you a bit?

IF/WHEN he is given the net fully, I want to see better play than this.

As to blaming Lu and not Cory...I think, at first, Lu was afforded the same luxury and let off the hook more, but people turned on him. Which they tend to do here (they also have short memories in a "what have you done for me lately?" way).

Archived