The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crosby

It's kind of sad how the Ovie/Sid debates no longer happen, heck its not even a conversation anymore. Crosby is clearly a step above everyone else in the league as on overall player

You could make arguments that Malkin is a better goal scorer but you can't deny Crosby makes other players superb

Crosby is by far the best player in the league. Not only does he have insane talent but he also makes anyone that plays with him better. Now THAT is an elite skill that you can't teach. Look at all the "elite" centres in the league: Crosby, Tavares, Toews, Stamkos, Henrik, Giroux, etc.

Anyone that plays with them immediately gets better (look at Moulson and Tavares, Hartnell and Giroux)

I don't mean to bring Kesler into this thread but he has to use his linemates more if he wants to be considered "elite" in the league. This year he has been average defensively and offensively and his passes look weak and forced.

Top 5 picks in a pool me and my friends did this year

1.Stamkos

2.Malkin

3.Giroux

4.Bieksa

5.Crosby(Me)

I am currently in first place by about 25 points.

Person who took Bieksa is about 40 points out of 2nd last

And he is still only 25. Be afraid... be very afraid.

Doesnt seem like Gretzkys records will ever be broken, but Crosbys pace this year is 1.73 ppg.

Gretzkys career is 1.9.

Different eras, could you one day perhaps make the arguement that Crosbys the best player to ever play?

Lebron vs MJ, and I'm going for Lebron.

It's so much fun, but also virtually impossible to compare great players from different generations. Everything has changed so much, that the numbers just don't translate. As far as comparing greatness, I think the fairest approach is to measure how successful each player was compared to their peers within their own era.

Gretzky in the 80s:

- Regularly scored about 50% more points than the league's next best scorer

- 4 Stanley Cups in 5 years. Easily could have been 7 in a row (84-90) if not for Steve Smith (86) and The Trade (88).

- Non-stop Hart and Art Ross trophies

Crosby so far:

- Generally about Top 3 in scoring. Hasn't played a full season in 3 years, but it feels like he's 10-20% ahead of the next best scorer now.

- 1 Stanley Cup

- Will likely collect his 2nd Hart and Art Ross trophies in 7 years

Crosby is amazing, but Gretzky did two things that Crosby has yet to touch: (1) sustained #1 status, and (2) a measurable performance gap between himself and the next best player. He's had to share the spotlight too often with players like Ovi, Sedin(s), and Stamkos. Until Mario came along, no one came close to challenging Wayne's numbers until 1988.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Gretzky in the 80s:

- Regularly scored about 50% more points than the league's next best scorer

- 4 Stanley Cups in 5 years. Easily could have been 7 in a row (84-90) if not for Steve Smith (86) and The Trade (88).

- Non-stop Hart and Art Ross trophies

Crosby so far:

- Generally about Top 3 in scoring. Hasn't played a full season in 3 years, but it feels like he's 10-20% ahead of the next best scorer now.

- 1 Stanley Cup

- Will likely collect his 2nd Hart and Art Ross trophies in 7 years

Archived