Posted Image

#32 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

I wonder if that Connor McDavid kid is going to be the next Crosby, or come close to it.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#33 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

I hear he's pretty good.
Posted Image

#34 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Well, those of us who thought he was on the decline and going dormant that even the Sedins were better... we ain't seen nothing yet!

#35 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

And he is still only 25. Be afraid... be very afraid.
Doesnt seem like Gretzkys records will ever be broken, but Crosbys pace this year is 1.73 ppg.
Gretzkys career is 1.9.

Different eras, could you one day perhaps make the arguement that Crosbys the best player to ever play?
Lebron vs MJ, and I'm going for Lebron.

People can add up the numbers and awards and compare teams etc...and Gretzky beats Sid up and down in most categories.

Taking that all away, here's a point to ponder.....

The LA Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2012. If Gretzky had not been traded to LA back in 1988 (He was later given the choice to back out, but he decided to go anyway) I'm not so sure the Kings would still be there today. Hell, a lot of teams might not be here today, and I'm not just talking about the Sun Belt ones either.

As much as the NHL tries to market Crosby as their premier player in the league, the Gretzky trade was responsible for much of the success the league had south of the border, and that impact alone puts him higher on my list IMHO.

It's all opinion I guess, but I believe Gretz was the greatest human to wear skates and play the game. Maybe one day, if Sid plays until he's 40, he might beat some of his records. It's the Brodeur/Roy argument all over again.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#36 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

What a phenomenal hockey player.
Posted Image

#37 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

It's so much fun, but also virtually impossible to compare great players from different generations. Everything has changed so much, that the numbers just don't translate. As far as comparing greatness, I think the fairest approach is to measure how successful each player was compared to their peers within their own era.

Gretzky in the 80s:

- Regularly scored about 50% more points than the league's next best scorer
- 4 Stanley Cups in 5 years. Easily could have been 7 in a row (84-90) if not for Steve Smith (86) and The Trade (88).
- Non-stop Hart and Art Ross trophies

Crosby so far:

- Generally about Top 3 in scoring. Hasn't played a full season in 3 years, but it feels like he's 10-20% ahead of the next best scorer now.
- 1 Stanley Cup
- Will likely collect his 2nd Hart and Art Ross trophies in 7 years

Crosby is amazing, but Gretzky did two things that Crosby has yet to touch: (1) sustained #1 status, and (2) a measurable performance gap between himself and the next best player. He's had to share the spotlight too often with players like Ovi, Sedin(s), and Stamkos. Until Mario came along, no one came close to challenging Wayne's numbers until 1988.

#38 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

Just amazing what he's done to Kunitz. Malkin turned a very skilled James Neal into a 40 goal scorer, Crosby is turning a 2nd/3rd line checker into a superstar.
Posted Image

#39 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Gretzky in the 80s:

- Regularly scored about 50% more points than the league's next best scorer
- 4 Stanley Cups in 5 years. Easily could have been 7 in a row (84-90) if not for Steve Smith (86) and The Trade (88).
- Non-stop Hart and Art Ross trophies

Crosby so far:

- Generally about Top 3 in scoring. Hasn't played a full season in 3 years, but it feels like he's 10-20% ahead of the next best scorer now.
- 1 Stanley Cup
- Will likely collect his 2nd Hart and Art Ross trophies in 7 years

Yes! Like you said the game has changed and is constantly changing and, as a result, you can't accurately compare points over the generations. How you compared Gretzky and Crosby is the best way to compare cross generational players in my opinion.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.