The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goal Scoring in the NHL: Too Few, Just Right or Too many?

OrrFour

Scoring in the NHL  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bigger nets or smaller goalie equipment.

I'd prefer smaller goalie equipment but with protection issues due to sticks I guess it would have to be bigger nets.

They should just go back to basics though. Wooden sticks and smaller goalie equipment period.

I want high scoring hockey, where 7-6, 6-5 games are the norm. When a goaltender plays spectacularly, he TRULY plays spectacular. Where shutouts are as rare as perfect games in baseball...where it's a truly special feat. Plus, you wouldn't be able to sit back on a lead like 3-0 or 4-0 the same as now.

• 27 Mar 2013

• WAYNE SCANLAN POSTMEDIA NEWS

Who’s to blame for low-scoring games?

Big and tall goaltenders along with massive equipment have left skaters hungry for twine

OTTAWA — With 18,000-plus looking on at Scotiabank Place, Patrik Elias skated in alone on Ben Bishop, looked for an opening and … more or less gave up. He shot the puck meekly into Big Ben’s big pads — and skated back to the New Jersey Devils bench.

The Senators went on to win their fourth shootout with Bishop in goal (he’s 4-0 with just three goals allowed on 19 shootout shots!) and the Devils left town Monday grumbling about a missed opportunity in a game they dominated for large stretches.

Final score: Ottawa 3, New Jersey 2, a typical low-scoring game in what has become a stingy league.

Getting pucks past the six-foot-seven Bishop was just part of the Devils’ problem.

They directed 34 shots at Bishop, had 15 shots blocked by Senators other than Bishop and then missed with another 18 shots.

Is it any wonder there are only a handful of teams that score at least three goals a game on average? Shooters have to run a gauntlet to get to the net, then face a behemoth when they get there.

When he first broke into the league 20 years ago, Martin Brodeur was a big goalie at 6-foot-2, 220. Today, he’s just average in size and he may soon be below average. The Senators three goalies, for example, are six-foot-two (Craig Anderson), sixfoot-four (Robin Lehner) and sixfoot-seven (Bishop).

NHL general managers don’t care to shrink their goalie prospects — they’re the ones drafting and signing them, after all — but they would like to reduce the size of goalie gear so that their team can score once in a while.

Bishop believes they should leave the gear alone and just make the nets bigger, if the NHL is “serious” about giving shooters better odds.

“I don’t know what they want the scores to be. Do they want them to be 10-10, 10-8?” Bishop asks.

“I think the only thing is to maybe make the net a little bit bigger — maybe an inch or two higher, or an inch or two wider, that might increase the scoring and wouldn’t screw up the goalies too much.”

Bishop believes the goaltenders need their large gear for protection because modern players shoot the puck so hard. But Kay Whitmore, the NHL’s goaltending supervisor, says that enough goalies play safely in smaller gear to prove it doesn’t need to be super-sized.

Johan Hedberg, Brodeur’s backup with the Devils, agrees with Whitmore that the gear is too big, but while Whitmore seems focused on leg pads, Hedberg believes other gear needs shrinking.

“Not so much with the pads and gloves, but it’s in the chest protectors and pants where there’s plenty of room to move,” Hedberg said.

“Some guys look like they’re 250 pounds when they’re really 175.”

According to Hedberg, reducing the size of leg pads could be dangerous.

“Take an inch away and there’s going to be guys getting hit in the side of the leg. And we don’t want that.

“Anything that isn’t there for protection shouldn’t be allowed, is my point.”

Johan “The Moose” Hedberg will be 40 in May. His nickname can be traced back to the AHL Manitoba Moose mask he brought with him to the NHL Pittsburgh Penguins, and is not a reference to his size.

For this “Moose” is 5-foot-11, a relic from an era when goaltenders were small and athletic, patterned after acrobats like Mike Vernon, Roger Crozier and “Tiny” Thompson.

Today’s young goalies are taught from the early stages of minor hockey to play angles, drop to the butterfly and fill space. This “technical” method of goaltending only works if goalies are big enough to prevent those vast openings that used to get Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux drooling.

Hedberg finds it sad that the sense of adventure in the position has been lost.

The high-flying Edmonton Oilers of the early 1980s averaged more than five goals per game. Today’s wunderkind Oilers of Jordan Eberle, Sam Gagner, Taylor Hall et al average 2.4 per game.

The number of goals DOESN'T MATTER, the quality of play is what is important. Unfortunately that is being negatively affected by the lack of quality in the reffing. The NHL needs to stop obsessing about the number of goals and get the standard of reffing up to snuff, right now it makes the WWE reffing look good.

Number of goals does matter.

If the nhl continues with the present rules then in five years the average number of goals per game could be 4, with more OT and shootouts than ever.

I assume you blame the refs because they are again letting interference, hooking, etc to happen without penalties.

I blame the league for letting it happen, but that's the problem with letting the refs be the main determiner for the play in the league.

This is the reason some changes need to be made that are not affected by the refs.

For example, changes like floating bluelines, bigger nets, smaller equipment.

I am sick of changing rules that don't need to be changed, only to follow up with more rule changes to fix problems created by the previous set of rule changes. Football players are bigger and faster than years past, I don't hear a cry to make the field bigger or end zones larger, Basketball players are taller, yet I never hear calls to raise the net. If you keep changing rules to create offense, coaches will focus on creating defenses to stop it, defense wins championships. Too many overtimes and shootouts for you, when you try to force parity what do you expect?

Can you give me an example of 'changing rules that don't need to be changed, only to follow up with more rule changes to fix problems created by the previous set of rule changes'?

The NFL has made changes to create more offense. QB's are throwing for record yardage. One thing they did is make it easier to throw over the middle. Two changes were made: receivers running thru the middle of the field are not allowed to be interfered with as much or hit recklessly as in the past.

The NBA doesn't want to make it more difficult for players to dunk! It's one of the most entertaining aspects of their game.

In fact, they instituted rules to spread defences to create more offense.

they added the three point shot and the illegal defense rule.

As a side note, the women's game in both college and pro basketball are talking about lowering the rim to create more offense.

Archived