The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Manny Curse? The Canucks have tanked since Malhotra was placed on IR

gradin123

Is there a Manny Curse?

The Canucks looked like they were running away with the division the day the rather shocking news that Malhotra was out for the year came out.

Pre-Malhotra announcement the the Canucks were 8-2-2

Post-Malhotra announcement the Canucks are 3-5-4

Is that a coincidence? Now I don't think Malhotra was playing that good for the Canucks this year but he is a very respected player in the dressing room and the way this situation was handled may have caused waves in the dressing room that weren't immediately obvious. Could it be that the players lost respect for the team's management team with the way they just tossed Manny aside when Kesler was ready to come back?

I personally think that not only have the players started tuning out AV but they also may be disgruntled with the way Gillis has handled both Malhotra and possible even the Hodgson situation. It seems to me a negative vibe has been hanging around the team every since Manny went on IR.

He probably brought something to the dressing room that is lacking now. I don't think its a curse that we are losing now for. We are losing because our power play sucks, 3rd line and 4th line are not producing, kesler and Bieksa are injured, goaltending has been just ok.

Things probably won't be much better when the next game our 4th line will be full of plugs

Sestito-Ebbett-Weise

I don't think losing Volpatti helped either lately. He was I am sure also a big hit with the team with his unassuming manner and his big heart. These guys (Sammy, Salo, Rome Malhotra, Volpatti) are more than just the sum of their parts.

I agree with the OP I am not enamoured with MG's overbearing influence, combined with twisted logic, in some matters and total inertia in others. He says he "doesn't sweat the small stuff"............that's all he sweats imo

Is there a Manny Curse?

The Canucks looked like they were running away with the division the day the rather shocking news that Malhotra was out for the year came out.

Pre-Malhotra announcement the the Canucks were 8-2-2

Post-Malhotra announcement the Canucks are 3-5-4

Is that a coincidence? Now I don't think Malhotra was playing that good for the Canucks this year but he is a very respected player in the dressing room and the way this situation was handled may have caused waves in the dressing room that weren't immediately obvious. Could it be that the players lost respect for the team's management team with the way they just tossed Manny aside when Kesler was ready to come back?

I personally think that not only have the players started tuning out AV but they also may be disgruntled with the way Gillis has handled both Malhotra and possible even the Hodgson situation. It seems to me a negative vibe has been hanging around the team every since Manny went on IR.

Kesler looked pretty mediocre when he was back. And let's not forget, he was pretty mediocre all of last season as well, so it's not really just the injury. He doesn't put the effort or heart into his shifts that he use to. He puts more of it into embellishment and trying to one man it up the ice and taking poro shots.

Our defense is always one injury away to looking like crap, regardless to where the injury happens. People didn't even like Bieksa and he's been mediocre defensively but even when he's out we just look that much worse. Salo was our best defensemen by a mile last year, and you need no further proof than to look at how TERRIBLE Edler is without him. And not only that, we lost Ehrhoff and replaced him with nothing. Even with his sketchy defense he was still likely an easy first pairing defender here. Which really might not say much about the rest of our defense..

Malhotra is by all accounts very well respected in the Canucks room, perhaps even more so than any other player on the team. I do believe that the way his situation was handled has had an impact on the team.

I also think that there could be a widening division in the dressing room based on the haves and the have nots in AV's plan. You have to think that certain players seeing that no matter how hard they work they never get an opportunity to advance while others play like crap and get more minutes has to be start taking a toll on locker room cohesion.

The players look like they do not believe in what they are doing. And they almost look fed up with not being able to play with any emotion.

What you guys don't understand is that this is all a matter of projection. No, the Sedins and Burrows aren't under-performing because Volpatti was put on waivers. To suggest this has some long-lasting negative emotional resonance would imply these players are incapable of emotionally handling the inevitabilities of the business they work in. Very few players last on the teams they were drafted by--ESPECIALLY THE CANUCKS!

CDC overrated Volpatti to astronomical lengths. Had he scored more than 3 goals in a Canucks shirt, lord knows we'd be seeing Volpatti threads for years, like Torres.

Half of CDC wanted Malholtra's name in the rafters when his eye was popped out, and then a year later, they wanted him traded. Now he's provided a curse for the team. Once again, I think people are overstating his importance and value due to sentimentality. If a team as experienced as the Canucks seriously needs to look to Malholtra for leadership at this point, then there's yet another problem with the team.

To me, this is just more classic absurdity from fans on CDC. People looking for a reason to justify their prejudices and their anxieties over the team. In this case, it's just a way to deflect all the fans' negative energy onto Gillis.

We all have our own ways of coping with the garbage team this year. I, for one, turn into a racist and blame all the heartless Americans on the team. No real justification for that, mind you. And I'm not sure I even believe it myself. Just like I hope the OP doesn't actually believe his post, too.

Not to make excuses for the team, and not to say that what we are dealing with is unique to only our team, there's been a chain of events that have taken place that have manifested itself into the slump we're currently in...in order, the following have occurred:

(1) Manny was put on ice for the season and probably his playing career...

(2) Kesler made his return...

(3) Hansen was suspended...

(4) Goaltending started to become "average"...

(5) Flu bug ran through the team...sounds like Schneids was one of the worst hit...

(6) Kes broke one of thousands of bones that we all have in our feet in Dallas...

(7) BXA pulled his groin in Nashville...

(8) Lost Volps on waivers...

(9) Picked up Tito on waivers...

All of these events have created disruptions to the line-up and team chemistry...the injuries in particular have forced certain players into roles that they may not be familiar or comfortable in...

IF we want to be a championship team, none of this stuff should matter...we should have the mental toughness to overcome these challenges and maintain a high level of competitiveness. These two things have been lacking for the past 2-3 weeks but I'm not about to give up on our boys and believe that we'll be able to pull ourselves out of this slump and agree with Hammy when he says that this adversity could very well make the team tougher to play against in the near future...

With the parity in the western conference, a prolonged slump is the kiss of death, especially in shortened season..so the Canucks have a short window of time to start playing like contenders and stop playing like a bunch of Schmucks.

take away

Ehrhoff

Salo

Kesler

Bieksa

Malhotra from the 2011 team....

this is what you will see.... the 2013 version of the Canucks. Lacking a bunch of players, that being said, I do not wish to blame it on injuries, as overall, even as a team, they've been playing bad. No excuses. Look at Ottawa. 2 points behind Montreal for first in the East, their injuries is equivalent to us losing Henrik Sedin, (Spezza) Erik Karlson (Dan Hamhius) for us.

There is just no excuses actually. Goaltending has been a let down this year. Nuff said. It really has. Anyone who thinks otherwise is dreaming. There is time, plenty of time still, and there I do believe we can start playing like we did last year with the current make up of the team. It can still be done.

Good posts by wallstreetamigo and GlassJaw - enjoyed ithem.

IMO, one cannot blame MG for his call on Malhotra. In fact, I admire the guy for having the balls to make a decision that was anything but easy. Just imagine Manny losing his vision on his weak eye after a big hit in the playoffs - what could anyone say at that time to Manny and his family? He was incredibly lucky to save his eye, why on Earth would he push it?

@GlassJaw - I disagree with other MG decisions, the most recent on Edler. Next year and until 2019, his salary ($5M) is in the same range with what Bobby Ryan, Jeff Carter and Marian Hossa are making ($5.1M - $5.3M). But this is the Canucks Ownership fault, guys. Just compare cap space and results between VAN and ANA-LAK-CHI (the Western teams to beat this year, IMO). it becomes clear that MG has been uninspired, slow and tentative. Sad to say it, as I used to love this guy.

Archived