The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Manny Curse? The Canucks have tanked since Malhotra was placed on IR

gradin123

Even half-blind his faceoffs were still key in getting this team out of d-zone jams.

Now with no Kesler, and with Henrik taking mostly o-zone draws, it's been all Lappy, who can only do so much.

When we had Manny and healthy rh Kesler, we could win draws cleanly on both sides.

Now we can't win cleanly on either.

No wonder this team can't buy a win.

Good posts by wallstreetamigo and GlassJaw - enjoyed ithem.

IMO, one cannot blame MG for his call on Malhotra. In fact, I admire the guy for having the balls to make a decision that was anything but easy. Just imagine Manny losing his vision on his weak eye after a big hit in the playoffs - what could anyone say at that time to Manny and his family? He was incredibly lucky to save his eye, why on Earth would he push it?

@GlassJaw - I disagree with other MG decisions, the most recent on Edler. Next year and until 2019, his salary ($5M) is in the same range with what Bobby Ryan, Jeff Carter and Marian Hossa are making ($5.1M - $5.3M). But this is the Canucks Ownership fault, guys. Just compare cap space and results between VAN and ANA-LAK-CHI (the Western teams to beat this year, IMO). it becomes clear that MG has been uninspired, slow and tentative. Sad to say it, as I used to love this guy.

Even half-blind his faceoffs were still key in getting this team out of d-zone jams.

Now with no Kesler, and with Henrik taking mostly o-zone draws, it's been all Lappy, who can only do so much.

When we had Manny and healthy rh Kesler, we could win draws cleanly on both sides.

Now we can't win cleanly on either.

No wonder this team can't buy a win.

epic fail. What do you expect Mike Gillis to do? So the team starts losing and now Gillis as a GM? But if we win 5 in a row, he's the greatest GM? I don't get the gillis haters.

You guys call him out, want him gone, but are not smart enough to say who should be his replacement. Unbelievable.

Bah. Bad GM's don't get Ehrhoff for free. But those kinda trades are rare. It would be nice if he could get some more players for free, but teams might not want to help us out anymore.

To be fair when Gillis won the GM of the year, I came on these boards the next day and said that was a joke and that the Canucks success was mostly do players left over from the previous regime. I have been saying Gillis is a bad GM for quite a while.

I'd get Burke to replace him. Of course I don't think that will ever happen with this ownership and I aslo believe the Aqulinis are part of the problem here but of course you can't fire owners.

Here's the thing ! The system installed with great success depends more than any other team in the league on zone face off's...unless some haven't noticed that is the system...maintain control of the game. AV instituted it and it has served the club very very well. Well MG has failed to square the circle after getting rid of Malhotra... he hasn't replaced that face off prowess this team lives on and the reason for this failure by MG is simple he's capped himself and the club out of any plan "B". Now fans look around and wonder why Malhotra meant so much and why the team suffers so badly without him.....ask MG he knows why

epic fail. What do you expect Mike Gillis to do? So the team starts losing and now Gillis as a GM? But if we win 5 in a row, he's the greatest GM? I don't get the gillis haters.

You guys call him out, want him gone, but are not smart enough to say who should be his replacement. Unbelievable.

Hope we can agree on one thing - I truly want Lord Stanley, and I imagine so do you. We just happen to have different points of view on what is wrong - I apologize for not raising to your level of understanding of such complex matters.

You call a bunch of us "not smart enough". Not saying anything would probably encourage you, so here is a quick thought: if your thinking and attitude are what intelligence is, then I am happy to be in the opposite camp.

I used to love MG. However, you have to be blind to not notice that we are cornered - second smallest cap space this year and next, bad contracts, average results. We have little room to maneuver this year, even if we wanted to - we would be easily out-bid for real talent by teams with plenty of cap and real chances at the Cup.

What I want first and foremost is for the Canucks Ownership to care about the ultimate goal - bringing the cup to Van-city. Right now they are acting as if nothing else matters except keeping the sellout streak going.

To be fair when Gillis won the GM of the year, I came on these boards the next day and said that it was a joke and that the Canucks success was mostly do players left over from the previous regime. I have been saying Gillis is a bad GM for quite a while.

I'd get Burke to replace him. Of course I don't think that will ever happen with this ownership and I also believe the Aqulinis are part of the problem here but of course you can't fire owners.

Can you elaborate as to why the Aquillinis are part of the problem? Maybe an explanation would help me understand, since they have done a lot to provide the Canucks fans with a pretty entertaining product on the ice since they took over the ownership...they've spent to the cap...supported building a strong culture from within...strong community presence...have made their product accessible to all of their fans...

Or is it that every aspect of the team is to be blamed when the team goes into a slump? I'm mad as hell at the vendor who sold me my hot dog at the Canucks v. Kings game because it wasn't piping hot...he's part of the problem!!!

I personally think that not only have the players started tuning out AV but they also may be disgruntled with the way Gillis has handled both Malhotra and possible even the Hodgson situation. It seems to me a negative vibe has been hanging around the team every since Manny went on IR.

I wasn't talking about the trade in general. I was talking about the way he threw Hodgson under the bus after the season ended in order to try and justify the trade.

Remember according to Gillis, Hogdson was the guy with the bad attitude but the only person who has commented about this situation on record is Gillis. Neither Hodgson or his agent have ever said anything at all about how the Canucks handled his situation. They have taking the high road which seems strange since he was a suppose pain in the butt according to MG

The Aqulinis are not good character people IMO. The manner in which they even acquired the Canucks was a bit shady. It is rumored that Nonis was fired largely due to the fact he supported the Gaglardi ownership and not due to his performance as GM.

The Aquilinis got the largest WCB fine last year due to sending blueberry pickers out to the farm on defective buses with drivers who have no license. http://www.theprovin...3053/story.html

The Aqulinis are now being sued again by a sports psychologist who was recruited by Francesco and then allegedly dumped him and tried to put the blame on visa issues which they created. http://www.cbc.ca/ne...l?autoplay=true

Archived