The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Booth either getting bought out or traded

Exactly... does MG know he's about to get fired soon and wants to screw up the Canucks or something? lol

I'd rather trade Booth for anything, then try out Jensen on the 2nd line.

Versteeg is a very very good 3rd liner, but he's not a top 6 forward. Hopefully BobMac is just BS'ing

Playoff numbers are all that matters. Booth has one point. If we can upgrade Booth for Versteeg in the short term, it makes sense.

Another underlying number that trumps all of Booth's is Vertsteeg has 15 game wining goals in the last 4 and a half seasons. The guy knows how to score when the pressure's on. Booth has never demonstrated that ability.

Taking on new contracts are a risk whether you trade for players or sign them in the summer. We took a risk on Booth's contract and he just hasn't fit in here. Time to admit the mistake and move on.

Would Versteeg be my first choice to replace Booth? No, but something's gotta give in our top 6, and if he's a available for the right price, I'd be happy to take a chance on him. At least he has a resume that proves success.

Versteeg throws a hit every couple games, blocks a shot every couple games, like Weiss and Fleischmann, gets a whole lot of ozone starts - not very good underlying numbers (and not terribly impressive scoring stats either) for a guy who gets first line minutes and top unit pp time - not going to be much of a physical or two-way presence, and playing with Kesler and Booth, I don't see him getting any more impressive than the context of his play in Florida.

Versteeg's been a career 22 goal scorer playing in opportune circumstances. Not sure what all the hype's about.

I personally would take a pass whether or not cap space had to be created/cleared to fit him in.

I wouldn't give up Booth one for one for him, let alone dump Booth and give up additional assets for him.

I disagree. Booth would be traded to what team, for starters?

And sorry, but you're underrating Samuelsson and Burr while overrating Kopecky. And at 31, Kopecky has tapped his upside already.

But it's the spending of all this cash on non-centers for 3-4 more years that's the real problem. That and Versteeg's status for this season. He might or might not be 100%, so why rush into acquiring him?

We should not sell the farm for more wingers, certainly. Wtf is that when our problem all season long has been at center and maybe even defense.

We wouldn't buy out Booth, we would trade him. And at this point Versteeg's value is low because of his 1 point in 9 games. That's when you acquire players. He wouldn't cost us more than a 3rd and a prospect at this point, which we might be able to get in a Booth trade.

Samuelsson and Burrows are not superior players. Both were 30-40 point guys before being put with the Sedins, just like Kopecky is a 30-40 point guy. Except for this season, where he's getting more ice time and on pace for a 50 point season.

He could do as much as Burrows offensively, and not get pushed around playing with the Sedins. He's a much better option than anything we've got in our top 6 outside of the Sedins right now. That shows how poor our guys have been up front.

I'm telling you right now, if we don't dump Booth and find an upgrade somewhere, we're gonna have another floater in our top 6, and struggle to score in the playoffs.

We wouldn't buy out Booth, we would trade him. And at this point Versteeg's value is low because of his 1 point in 9 games. That's when you acquire players. He wouldn't cost us more than a 3rd and a prospect at this point, which we might be able to get in a Booth trade.

Samuelsson and Burrows are not superior players. Both were 30-40 point guys before being put with the Sedins, just like Kopecky is a 30-40 point guy. Except for this season, where he's getting more ice time and on pace for a 50 point season.

He could do as much as Burrows offensively, and not get pushed around playing with the Sedins. He's a much better option than anything we've got in our top 6 outside of the Sedins right now. That shows how poor our guys have been up front.

I'm telling you right now, if we don't dump Booth and find an upgrade somewhere, we're gonna have another floater in our top 6, and struggle to score in the playoffs.

^^^ Are you drooling?

Versteeg will cost a good prospect and a 2nd minimum IMO. I'm not sold on it as a move but he has sure grown into some consistency. He's not a bad option.

Saying that, this would need to be one of about 4 moves for the team as it's lateral for our needs.

No way Booth is bought out either. He's still a useful chip for another team if his time here is over.

DeNiro, on what line do you expect Versteeg to play on?

You bring up his GWG, and you truly believe he'll be a shoot first player on the 1st line? No, absolutely not. On the second line with Kesler? Think again pal, if you really think Kesler's gonna become a playmaker for Kris Versteeg, then you're wrong. 3rd line? Nope, Hansen's not moving up or down.

Jagr > Versteeg on almost all accounts.

This is one angry fan

- TOP PROSPECTS?!?! AHAHAHAHAHA THE IDIOT NAMED GILLIS -- WHO ALL OF YOU SAID WAS A GENIUS UP UNTIL JUST A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO -- TRADED ALL THE CANUCKS' TOP PROSPECTS AWAY!!

- GETTING RID OF ONE ONE CRAP FLORIDA PLAYER FOR ANOTHER CRAP FLORIDA PLAYER?!?! AHAHAHAHAHAHA

HOW'S THAT HODGSON/KASSIAN TRADE WORKING OUT, GILLIS?

HOW'S GETTING RID OF GRABNER WORKING OUT, GILLIS?

HOW'S LETTING SALO AND EHRHOFF WALK WORKING OUT, GILLIS?

HOW'S LETTING IMPACT GUYS LIKE MITCHELL AND TORRES WALK, GILLIS?

HOW'S THAT GARRISON SIGNING WORKING OUT, GILLIS?

HOW ARE MOST OF THE GUYS THAT YOU'VE CHOSEN TO KEEP AROUND PERFORMING, GILLIS -- EG, LAPIERRE, WEISS, BOOTH, RAYMOND, KASSIAN, SCHROEDER, ETC.?

HOW'S YOUR GREAT SCOUTING AND DRAFTING WORKING OUT, GILLIS?

THIS IDIOT WHO NEARLY EVERY ONE OF YOU COMMENDED NON-STOP UNTIL AS RECENTLY AS LAST MONTH HAS BEEN SLOWLY F***ING DESTROYING THIS TEAM HIS ENTIRE TENURE AS GM. AND IT'S SOOOOOOOO HILARIOUS THAT YOU'RE ALL JUST REALIZING THIS NOW. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BE PREPARED TO SAY HELLO TO YOUR VANCOUVER BLUE JACKETS FOR YEARS TO COME, PEOPLE!!

It's looking more and more like this isn't the year for us.

We should be tanking and planning for the summer rather than making some half-baked trades for more overpaid wingers.

Or at least 'getting younger', like what Gillis mentioned at season start.

Versteeg and Kopecky aren't bad. But the cap hits are killer for next season. And they do nothing to address the key issues facing this team.

If Gillis aquires those caphits, it means we're essentially calling that 2011 run a one-off and we're going the Cgy, TO route to oblivion.

Basically, we're becoming the same as every other Canadian team: Around to subsidize the mistakes made by Southern US teams and to keep goons and scrubs employed when US markets ditch them.

'Oh we're lucky to have gotten Sestito.'

'Oh Vandermeer is great depth on D, even though SJ only used him as a 4th line forward sparingly.'

'Oh yes, Cam Barker's gonna get a REAL opportunity here.'

Groan...

I disagree. Booth would be traded to what team, for starters?

And sorry, but you're underrating Samuelsson and Burr while overrating Kopecky. And at 31, Kopecky has tapped his upside already.

We should not sell the farm for more wingers, certainly. Wtf is that when our problem all season long has been at center and maybe even defense.

Another $4+M player for the next 3 yrs from Fla? No thanks.

I don't see how he brings anything more than Booth does. Both have very similar underlying numbers. He's not going to get the TOI in Van that he does in Fla, def not the high PP TOI either. His ability to replicate what he did last yr in Fla in Van is likely non-existent for those reasons.

Gillis has to stop using the teams future to acquire these type of guys IMO. There are some decent UFAs this summer, sign one of them to a contract that's more affordable and you won't have to trade away the teams future.

It's looking more and more like this isn't the year for us.

We should be tanking and planning for the summer rather than making some half-baked trades for more overpaid wingers.

Or at least 'getting younger', like what Gillis mentioned at season start.

Versteeg and Kopecky aren't bad. But the cap hits are killer for next season. And they do nothing to address the key issues facing this team.

Luongo for Versteeg and Campbell

Sauve and Florida's 3rd for Jagr

Booth, Ballard, 2014 1st or 2nd for Stastny

Sedin - Sedin - Jagr

Stastny - Kesler - Versteeg

Burrows - Raymond - Hansen

Higgins - Lapierre - Kassian

Hamhuis - Campbell

Edler - Tanev

Garrison - Bieksa

Schneider

Not sure if that's cap friendly but hoollllyyyyyyyy is that team stacked