The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV getting a free pass

kassian 09

Hear me out,

So i've never been a fan of AV's line juggling and mismanagement of our D, and I'm sure we all agree he should be fired. But what about the media? I'm hearing nothing on Spoetsnet,TSN or anything online about why AV should be fired. If it was any other canadian market with our skill level, or even without the skill, the media would be all over a possible coaches change.

What do you guys think? Too early or are we just wrong?

Sry if already posted found nothing.

All the above is rubbish............other than I do agree he tends to juggle too much.

We have been badly hit by injuries to key players, others have lost form. However the main reason we are struggling imo is the lack of scoring below the 1st line.

That is NOT AV's fault that is GMMG's fault. I will be very annoyed if Gillis spins this down to being AV's fault and fires him.

First of all that's a huge misjudgement to suggest that we ALL agree AV should be fired. It's my contention that the players Gillis have brought in recently are poor decisions. Ballard, Booth and the last time I watched Garrison he was unspectacular. Schroeder was not a good pick. All in all he has failed to surround the core group with quality players. And last but likely most important is when his heart told him to sit Malhotra ( against his own wishes) he had done nothing to replace the guy. The Canucks and AV system likely more than any other team depends on who takes the face off's in which zones. They're loosing more than they're winning and a well developed strategy adopted with great success by the Canucks is suffering. Gillis knows this and yet continues to sit on his hands and lets AV take the brunt of the blame. Gillis problem is the Ballard/Booth/Garrison cap hit has left him no space to solve the problem and that my friend falls on MG shoulder square and fair. Gillis understand the reason for the success the team has enjoyed so now he's fundamentally screwed himself and the club with bad signings and no cap space. AV can only shuffle the deck he's been given so many times. Bringing Ebbett back lets face it is a desperation move, he's cleared waivers twice and no one wants him but the Canucks.

The sad part is the core players are showing a drop off, age or what ever. The Cup...think in terms of another 5-7 years from now

All the above is rubbish............other than I do agree he tends to juggle too much.

We have been badly hit by injuries to key players, others have lost form. However the main reason we are struggling imo is the lack of scoring below the 1st line.

That is NOT AV's fault that is GMMG's fault. I will be very annoyed if Gillis spins this down to being AV's fault and fires him.

Firstly, this is exactly what CDC needs.....another coach-bashing thread.

Seondly, the reason you don't hear guys like McKenzie and LeBrun calling for AV's dismissal is that they're not whiny, entitled Canuck fans.

And none of those sports panel guys know coaching like the CDC braintrust...

First of all that's a huge misjudgement to suggest that we ALL agree AV should be fired. It's my contention that the players Gillis have brought in recently are poor decisions. Ballard, Booth and the last time I watched Garrison he was unspectacular. Schroeder was not a good pick. All in all he has failed to surround the core group with quality players. And last but likely most important is when his heart told him to sit Malhotra ( against his own wishes) he had done nothing to replace the guy. The Canucks and AV system likely more than any other team depends on who takes the face off's in which zones. They're loosing more than they're winning and a well developed strategy adopted with great success by the Canucks is suffering. Gillis knows this and yet continues to sit on his hands and lets AV take the brunt of the blame. Gillis problem is the Ballard/Booth/Garrison cap hit has left him no space to solve the problem and that my friend falls on MG shoulder square and fair. Gillis understand the reason for the success the team has enjoyed so now he's fundamentally screwed himself and the club with bad signings and no cap space. AV can only shuffle the deck he's been given so many times. Bringing Ebbett back lets face it is a desperation move, he's cleared waivers twice and no one wants him but the Canucks.

The sad part is the core players are showing a drop off, age or what ever. The Cup...think in terms of another 5-7 years from now

Actually, I rarely if ever hear the sports media talk about any coach that way. How often do you hear them call for a coach to be fired in any circumstance? Basically never.

The law of averages suggests that eventually the Canucks will win again......and as long as AV sticks with the same ridiculous decisions until they do, he can then justify his existence as a head coach by saying they worked.

He is in many ways now a lame duck coach who has to make sure at all costs he defends and validates earlier coaching decisions instead of trying new things that might get results. It is all about survival right now. And if the GM was not in exactly the same situation, AV would already be fired.

(1) Every season is full of ups and downs.

(2) We're missing 2 of our best players (Bieksa and Kesler).

(3) MG has yet to resolve the goalie situation.

These are all factors that affect the team hugely, and none of them are within AV's control. He's got his problems (powerplay, line juggling, Garrison), of course. Consider how crap this team has looked recently, though, and we're still tied for 1st in our division.

Let's try to resist the urge to trade all the players, fire all the staff, demolish the arena, and slit our wrists.

Archived