The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Province unveils options for Massey Tunnel replacement

aGENT

http://www.news1130....el-replacement/

Possibilities include maintaining existing tunnel or new bridge or tunnel.

A replacement of the Massey Tunnel may not involve a tunnel at all.

The province is looking at five options, which have been unveiled in Phase 2 of public consultation. The options include building a new bridge or new tunnel. But another suggests maintaining the existing span. A new crossing would be wider, with HOV lanes and accommodations for pedestrians and cyclists. The status-quo option would still involve improvements at either end of the crossing.

Any proposal would involve a complete overhaul of Highway 99 and its interchanges from the Oak Street Bridge to the US border.

If it’s approved by the provincial government, what’s the time frame?

“It would be similar to the Port Mann,” says Transportation MinisterMary Polak. “A project of this size, you start you consultation and by the time you’re at completion of the project… it’s around nine years.”

Other replacement options include building a new crossing beside the existing tunnel only for HOV drivers, transit users, cyclists and pedestrians.

There could also be a new span, crossing the Fraser along the Number 8 Road and 80th street corridor between the East West connector in Richmond and the new Highway 17 in Delta.

We have no details yet on cost or how the project would be paid for.

“It’s something that would have to be discussed but it’s too early to say,” Polak adds. “We don’t know what we’re looking at in terms of an overall cost. We don’t know if there are partners involved or not.”

A brief overview of the five options the province has outlined:

Scenario 1: Maintain existing tunnel

- better lighting and seismic upgrades

- new interchanges at Steveston Hwy and Highway 17 to improve flow

Scenario 2: Build a new bridge

- would have traffic lanes, hov lanes, bike lanes and pedestrian accomodations

- improves all of Highway 99 and interchanges from Bridgeport to border

Scenario 3: Build a new tunnel

- tunnel with traffic lanes, hov lanes, bike lanes and pedestrian accomodations

- improves all of Highway 99 and interchanges from Bridgeport to border

Scenario 4: Twin the tunnel, with the new crossing for HOV, transit, pedestrians, and cyclists only

- improve all of Highway 99

Scenario 5: Maintain existing tunnel, build new crossing elsewhere

- a new crossing upstream along No 8 Road corridor between Highway 91 and the new South Fraser Perimeter Road

- Highway 99 improvements

Three open houses are going to be held this week:

Richmond – Wednesday, March 13 Richmond Oval 6111 River Rd. Richmond 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Surrey – Thursday, March 14 Sullivan Hall 6306 – 152nd St. Surrey 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Delta – Saturday, March 16 Coast Tsawwassen Inn 1665 – 56 St. Delta 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Related Stories:

http://www.news1130....ffect-farmland/

http://www.news1130....-massey-tunnel/

http://www.news1130....tunnel-project/

I always thought that tunnel was effing retarded. I mean they would always open up 3 lanes heading 1 way, and 1 lane heading the other, instead of the more practical 2-2 split.

I think option 2 (new bridge) makes the most sense, while option 4, twinning the tunnel is retardation at it's finest.

and let me guess.... toll it?

Yes they should toll it... they should spend tax dollars on building it then toll it... That's what I believe that's what I clearly meant for people to infer in my post :rolleyes:

I always thought that tunnel was effing retarded. I mean they would always open up 3 lanes heading 1 way, and 1 lane heading the other, instead of the more practical 2-2 split.

I think option 2 (new bridge) makes the most sense, while option 4, twinning the tunnel is retardation at it's finest.

It's called traffic flow. It flows predominately North in the morning, South in the afternoon. If they didn't utilize the counter-flow lanes (similar to the Lions Gate bridge). Traffic would be that much worse.

Yes they should toll it... they should spend tax dollars on building it then toll it... That's what I believe that's what I clearly meant for people to infer in my post :rolleyes:

By adding a new structure without removing the existing infrastructure will likely result in a toll. (i.e. the Golden Ears bridge)

A new river crossing connecting No. 8 Road in East Richmond with Delta—an option proposed to alleviate tunnel congestion—is being flatly rejected by Richmond council.

"I think it's very destructive to Richmond itself, and particularly to East Richmond, and our council is dead set against it as am I," said Mayor Malcolm Brodie.

On Monday council formalized its opposition to one of five options pitched by the province to improve traffic flow at the George Massey Tunnel. Provincial officials revealed the options Monday, ahead of a second round of public consultations on

An open house is set for March 13 at the Richmond Olympic Oval.

The option for a new crossing at No. 8 Road calls for the existing tunnel to be maintained. A new bridge or tunnel would link East Richmond with 80th Street in Delta and offer connections to Highway 91 in Richmond and the South Fraser Perimeter Road in Delta.

Brodie said although there's long been fear of an East Richmond bridge—which would link to Port Metro Vancouver's land—the city didn't know it was a real possibility.

"I am very disappointed that option would be actively considered," he said. "This has been a suggestion that has been rejected by Richmond a number of times in the past."

Other options include replacing the tunnel with a new bridge, replacing the tunnel with a new tunnel, maintaining the tunnel and building a new adjacent crossing, and simply maintaining the existing tunnel.

All options include upgrades to the Highway 99 interchange at Steveston Highway.

Of the options presented, replacing the existing tunnel with a new tunnel has the most appeal aesthetically and logistically, said Brodie.

In a report to council, transportation director Victor Wei said a new East Richmond crossing would
and is contrary to the city’s long-term vision. A similar plan was also rejected by the city more than two decades ago, he told council.

“As this option was not indicated as a key demand from the public through Phase 1 of public consultation, the rationale of reviving it for Phase 2 for the current public consultation is unclear to staff,” noted Wei.

Coun. Harold Steves told
The Richmond Review
he favours a rapid transit line to alleviate tunnel congestion, along with new rules for trucks.

The expansion of Deltaport—the largest container terminal in Canada—will boost container capacity by one-third in 2015. Further proposed expansion of the terminal would double total capacity—leading to more truck traffic at the tunnel.

Steves suggested trucks should be banned on highways during rush hour, a measure long in place in Los Angeles.

“There’s no need to build a bridge in the short term. Get the trucks out of there and people would be amazed of how the traffic changes,” said Steves.

More roads is not the answer. Smarter roads along with alternatives is.

Coun. Harold Steves told
The Richmond Review
he favours a rapid transit line to alleviate tunnel congestion, along with new rules for trucks.

The expansion of Deltaport—the largest container terminal in Canada—will boost container capacity by one-third in 2015. Further proposed expansion of the terminal would double total capacity—leading to more truck traffic at the tunnel.

Steves suggested trucks should be banned on highways during rush hour, a measure long in place in Los Angeles.

“There’s no need to build a bridge in the short term. Get the trucks out of there and people would be amazed of how the traffic changes,” said Steves.

More roads is not the answer. Smarter roads along with alternatives is.

I would LOVE to see the truck suggestion implemented regardless of what, if anything, gets built. Maybe the NDP will have the balls but I doubt the Liberals with all the work they've done to increase shipping capacity will want anything to do with limiting that.

The rapid transit suggestion is laughable though :lol: If we're stuck debating on whether there should be a UBC line built (it should) and who's paying for it, having one along the 99 corridor is actually not even laughable.... It's beyond ludicrous in comparison.

By adding a new structure without removing the existing infrastructure will likely result in a toll. (i.e. the Golden Ears bridge)

Any new crossing anywhere in the lower mainland will be tolled. It is the new reality.

It's called traffic flow. It flows predominately North in the morning, South in the afternoon. If they didn't utilize the counter-flow lanes (similar to the Lions Gate bridge). Traffic would be that much worse.

2 very different situations. The Lions Gate is a 3 lane bridge, so you are constantly looking at a 2-1 split. With the Massey, at worst a 2-2 split means the compression of 3 lanes into 2, which is really nothing considering the 3rd lane is HOV.

You don't drive anywhere then?

You stay within the same city AT ALL times.

I rarely use the Massey Tunnel - but I still disagree with any tolling of major causeways.

You have a better idea for funding needed road and transit upgrades?

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/591596/george-massey-tunnel-pricey-upgrade-plans-zip-along-as-transit-stalls/

Rush hour traffic may crawl through the George Massey Tunnel, but plans for a massive makeover of the aging infrastructure are zooming through government processes.

The province released its
for the tunnel’s future on Monday, just five months after it announced plans to replace the tunnel within 10 years.

TransLink, meanwhile, took three years to study rapid transit options along Vancouver’s Broadway corridor and in Surrey before releasing its final options last week.

All projects, both transit and the tunnel from Delta to Richmond, will come with price tags that end in billion.

While the tunnel’s cost ultimately depends on the final design, recent local experience has shown crossings of this magnitude cost “in the billions, not millions,” government spokeswoman Kate Trotter said in an email.

Choices for the tunnel include upgrading it and adding new crossings, or destroying it and replacing it with a bridge or tunnel.

The tunnel will only last 10 to 15 years and must be fixed to deal with growing congestion. More than 80,000 vehicles use the route daily, according to the province.

The tunnel opened in 1959 and cost $29 million. The original Port Mann Bridge, built five years later, cost $25 million and was replaced for $3.3 billion. About 115,000 to 125,000 vehicles cross the Port Mann daily.

The upgrades come as mayors around the region clamor for more transit.

Instead of the province making decisions on huge projects in isolation, there should be a regional discussion at Metro Vancouver’s Transportation Committee, Vancouver Coun. Geoff Meggs said.

The province’s basic approach seems to be “we’ve got it, let’s build another one bigger,” Meggs said, adding such decisions should be people and goods oriented rather than car oriented.

TransLink’s options are based on a “much more comprehensive analysis of where people are coming from and the regional needs” than the tunnel options, he added.

The province will host public meetings on the tunnel in Richmond, Surrey and Delta this month (details at
).

Both
and the
have expressed support for getting rid of the tunnel, as it makes the river too shallow for large ocean vessels to navigate.

You don't drive anywhere then?

You stay within the same city AT ALL times.

I rarely use the Massey Tunnel - but I still disagree with any tolling of major causeways.

Wow I am sure the Province of BC cares that you think things shouldn't be tolled, maybe instead of posting and whining about it here you should send them a letter letting them know how you feel.

Edit: Sorry never answered your question... I do drive and no I don't stay within the same City at all times, I actually even use the Massey quite frequently. I don't care about tolls because I realize that it costs money to create and care for the things we take for granted each day. We are very lucky to live where we do and if me paying a toll cuts off 20 minutes from my commute that is 20 minutes I can spend doing what I want. Time with my family etc. and that time adds up and to me a buck or two is easily worth that.

Archived