The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NYC Ban on Large Sugar Laden Drinks Struck Down by Court

Wetcoaster

Not sure what "go from there" means. Do we go after salty foods next? How about fatty foods? Do we fine people for laying out in the sun too long and exposing themselves to skin cancer? You simply can't tax people for being foolish.

Or just tax sugar period. X amount per gram of sucrose/fructose. Any processed food already knows how many grams of sugar is in it simply from the nutritional information.

Any unprocessed food, like an apple or orange or corn, which will have sugar in it, is fine. But you so much as squeeze it into juice, well, pay the tax man.

No need to micro-manage it.

Personally I have no problem with limiting setting around pop/soda, the stuff is poison, and if we can set legal limits around marijuana and alcohol, we should be able to on pop as well.

Coke and Pepsi, like big Tobacco, knows what their stuff does to people, and yet they still deny and lobby government with their own agenda.

I do also agree with taxing, especially in Canada where taxpayers pay for health care. If you are going to drink those drinks, you pay, and the government (hopefully lol) puts it toward health care.

• 2 weeks later...

We do.

Just commenting that it's sad that the manufacturer feels the need to pile in HFCS, soy lecithin etc in to freaking croutons. It's seasoned stale bread for jebus' sake!

Unfortunately my parents (and vast swaths of the general public) are not as well educated on processed "groceries" as my wife an I are.

Except that it's not just sugar that makes people fat....excess consumption of any food makes you fat.

And not everyone who drinks a soda everyday gets fat either. If you exercise enough, you can afford to drink daily sodas. Everyone has different calorie needs. The only fair thing to do would be to actually tax people for being fat. That's not politically correct, so the answer becomes collective punishment.

This law suffers from both overbredth and inability to address the actual issue.

Except that it's not just sugar that makes people fat....excess consumption of any food makes you fat.

And not everyone who drinks a soda everyday gets fat either. If you exercise enough, you can afford to drink daily sodas. Everyone has different calorie needs. The only fair thing to do would be to actually tax people for being fat. That's not politically correct, so the answer becomes collective punishment.

This law suffers from both overbredth and inability to address the actual issue.

A person drinking one can of pop a day and exercising isn't the problem. Nor would that person be paying an abundant amount more in tax if we taxed sugar. It's the millions of lard asses sitting on their couch drinking a 2L a day that are the issue. I don't know how you would begin to tax sitting on a couch but I do know how you could easily tax sugar content.

Archived