The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NYC Ban on Large Sugar Laden Drinks Struck Down by Court

Wetcoaster

It's called personal choice. Personally I don't want the government controlling my diet, even though I try to eat healthy and stay in shape. If people want to poison themselves, let them, it's unjust for one man to tell millions what they can eat. Telling people what they can put in their own body is what parents should do to their kids, not what a politician should be doing to adults. I'd rather be "stubborn" than have strangers controlling every part of my daily life.

It's actually not really personal choice. It's by and large marketing, collusion and ignorance.

I generally agree that people should by and large be free to choose what they eat (and reap the consequences good or bad and pay moderately higher tax on products proven to have negative societal impacts/costs).

THAT isn't actually the main problem however. The problem is the corporate/government corruption that allows dubious at best chemicals, products and processes in to food production in the first place (which I believe is more what that MrsCanuck was eluding to).

People can choose to buy from the produce section, they choose to walk into McDiabetes and get a soda instead, or buy 2L or 18 or 24 cases of soda. Marketing, collusion, conspiracy, or otherwise, it's a conscious choice government has no business deciding in for individuals. NYC and mayor Doucheberg are way out of line.

A guy like Bloomberg has troubles with that.

500mL Coca-Cola (210 cal) is banned, but a 591mL Starbucks Venti signature hot chocolate with whipped cream and whole milk (520 cal) is ok? In a comparison to the bottles of Sbux frapps that are 280mL, that's 180 cal.

Here's the sugar breakdown:

500mL Coca-Cola - 54g sugar (source: http://www.livestron...sic/coke-500ml/)

Starbucks drink - 75g sugar (source: http://eatthis.mensh...int-list/184612)

Mocha Frappuccino® chilled coffee drink (still allowed under Bloomberg's new law) - 31g sugar (source: http://frappuccino.c...led-frappuccino)

Who cares if someone wants to pound down a large coke? They can still get unlimited refills. Secondly, it'll start with a large coke ban leading into something else like a large coffee ban due to caffiene. That'll lead into a your too fat to ride on the bus/transit ban. Then it'll be you can't read a Maxim magazine because it's insensitive and degrading to women ban... you get my drift...

Who cares if someone wants to pound down a large coke? They can still get unlimited refills. Secondly, it'll start with a large coke ban leading into something else like a large coffee ban due to caffiene. That'll lead into a your too fat to ride on the bus/transit ban. Then it'll be you can't read a Maxim magazine because it's insensitive and degrading to women ban... you get my drift...

following that reasoning.. can we also ban bikes, roller blades, playing outside, playing hockey, playing football, playing baseball, playing basketball, soccer, running, walking, cars, alcohol, red meat, fish, pork, wheat, peanuts, strawberries, powered equipment, electricity, camping, shoveling, gardening, lawn mowing, landscaping... and any other activity/food/drink that could result in people going to the hospital (or seeing a doctor) for various reasons?

after all... we all have to pay for health related problems.

(yes I clearly am taking this reasoning to the extreme)

Archived