The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian needs to be sent down, for everyone's benefit

The Dark Knight

He's supposed to be this big strong power forward, but loses possesion of the puck way to easily along the boards. I'm not sure if it's his strength or conditioning, but it's almost automatic that he will lose the puck. He has been frustrating to watch over the last month and probably needs a demotion to the minors.

Kassian and Schroeder are bound to fail.

Our team is made of a bunch of plug except Sedins and Burrows (with Kesler out). And they all play together. Hansen, Higgins, Booth, Raymond are not supposed to be the corner stone of a 2nd line. They can play there when there is real 2nd line player on it.

Kassian is as good as Saad, Hodgson, Conacher, Brunner, except those guys plays with :

Toews and Hossa

Vanek and Pminville

Stamkos and St-Louis

Daystuk and Zetty

Nope, who else is going to play? The time he spends playing will further his development at this level. He's not learning anything down there.

Have some patience man. 24 games in and you're upset because he isn't leading the league in scoring and playing like Lucic. Relax.

He's supposed to be this big strong power forward, but loses possesion of the puck way to easily along the boards. I'm not sure if it's his strength or conditioning, but it's almost automatic that he will lose the puck. He has been frustrating to watch over the last month and probably needs a demotion to the minors.

The underlined/bolded parts warrant the emphasis...

You're right that Hodgson & Kassian are two very different players of course. But how they've been worked by their respective coaching staff has also been very different, resulting in very different outcomes - and THAT should be compared...

Hodgson has clearly flourished under a coaching staff that has supported - and invested - in his development as an all-around player this year. He's not merely been getting consistent ice time with the same linemates even through dry spells, which has got to contribute to his team leading (tied with linemate Vanek) 20 even strength points, but unlike under the Canucks he's been put into all game situations - a goto guy on the penalty kill, leading faceoff taker (and in any zone), etc. And while early results weren't so great (he looked lost at times on the PK, his plus/minus was a deep minus, faceoff win % sucked, etc.), investment in the kid was obviously worth it (he no longer looks lost in the d-zone, he's moved up to being even on the plus/minus, his faceoff performance has steadily improved, and he even happens to lead his team in short-handed points, etc.).

And the Sabres coaching staff haven't just suffered through the down stretches for Hodgson either - for example, all of their young centers struggled in the faceoff dot early on, but the kids weren't benched or moved to wing entirely, and now all are improving steadily. The support and investment in their youth this year has so far proven to be worthwhile for the team as a whole (now if only they could put together a string of wins, lol).

So I watch Kassian and see a youngster who looks very lost at times, doesn't seem to know (or have?) his "role" figured out, etc... I hope the Canucks coaching staff (AND FANS!) will try to invest the same patience in his development. Sure, the kid makes mistakes, but he needs the chance to screw up without fear of benchings and demotions or he'll just be turned into another useless "grinder" on a team that already seems to have enough grinders charging around in circles to impress AV.

This is what I see with Kass...

A big kid with good wheels and soft hands who is struggling to find his place in the NHL.

He started the NHL season like a house on fire because he was in game shape...had a minor groin injury while with the Wolves, which he managed to play through. I would even argue that he was our best forward and carried the Sedins for the first 4-5 games as the Sedins and Burrows were working themselves into game shape.

When the rest of the "men" in the NHL caught up with Kass as far as game shape is concerned by game 10 or so, he hit a wall which was further exacerbated by AV's moving him around the lineup, taking away the kid's confidence as to the role that he needed to play (Kass' role should be easy to define -- a skilled power forward who should be capable of playing in all three zones of the ice and able to drop his mitts when he feels is necessary).

Even though AV has treated Kass like the ugly girl at the party, Kass has kept his mouth shut and has been a good team guy. Kass even sounds like a muted wallflower in his interviews...he has come across as being polite and passive, which is not the persona that we want of him on the ice -- this tells me his confidence is lacking. This, I hang entirely on AV.

His lack of confidence has manifested itself in tentative hitting, treating the puck like a hot potato, losing puck battles that he should be winning, and inability to finish. I was glad to see that he took the boarding penalty he did last night because this might be the first sign he's gaining some confidence.

The kid has NHL tangibles (i.e., size and skill)...he doesn't have NHL intangibles yet (i.e., competitiveness, ability to bring it every single shift every night). The only place he's going to learn the NHL intangibles is in the NHL.

For all the talk about Kass needing a mentor specific to the role that he should be playing, who would that be? There's no one on the roster that is expected to play the all-around game that we expect of Kass, other than possibly Booth, but he strikes me more as a surfer dude who is trying to find his own way back in the NHL. Whether Kass has leadership skills or not, we won't know because AV has essentially neutered the kid...when Kass stepped up and took on Eager and Clowe, my thoughts were he was showing initiative and leadership and assuming a specific role on the team, but from day 1 when AV wrapped his arms around Kass to prevent him from getting involved, AV has done more to stunt the kid's mental/emotional development which is the area that Kass needs to develop. When Kass's head is right, he's going to be a force in the NHL...my only concern is AV is going to phuck it up for the kid.

So, here's my solution...put Kass back with the Sedins for a few games...let him play with reckless abandon (the Sedins are smart enough to adjust their game for a few games)...and give the kid carte blanche in taking on whoever he wants. This will also help with getting the Sedins to move their game from the perimeter to the middle of the ice, where they seem deathly afraid of entering (the one time they moved their play to the middle last night, Daniel drew a penalty...their perimeter play with Burrows is getting too easy to defend).

We acquired Kass to be a skilled power forward who is capable of chucking them with the best of them, so let the kid be who want him to be.

Well said, and what I have put in bold is something I think AV really struggles with, and the main reason he keeps bouncing him around, I guess he is trying to find a spot where he thinks he can get the most out of him without hurting the team, and not so much as far as where he can place him in regards to development.

I know the kid is really raw, and you can see that the potetial is through the roof, I would say that he has the ability to fit into the mold (if not better than) that of say Hartnell, Simmonds, which would be alright by me.

A big kid with good wheels and soft hands who is struggling to find his place in the NHL.

He started the NHL season like a house on fire because he was in game shape...had a minor groin injury while with the Wolves, which he managed to play through. I would even argue that he was our best forward and carried the Sedins for the first 4-5 games as the Sedins and Burrows were working themselves into game shape.

When the rest of the "men" in the NHL caught up with Kass as far as game shape is concerned by game 10 or so, he hit a wall which was further exacerbated by AV's moving him around the lineup, taking away the kid's confidence as to the role that he needed to play (Kass' role should be easy to define -- a skilled power forward who should be capable of playing in all three zones of the ice and able to drop his mitts when he feels is necessary).

Even though AV has treated Kass like the ugly girl at the party, Kass has kept his mouth shut and has been a good team guy. Kass even sounds like a muted wallflower in his interviews...he has come across as being polite and passive, which is not the persona that we want of him on the ice -- this tells me his confidence is lacking. This, I hang entirely on AV.

His lack of confidence has manifested itself in tentative hitting, treating the puck like a hot potato, losing puck battles that he should be winning, and inability to finish. I was glad to see that he took the boarding penalty he did last night because this might be the first sign he's gaining some confidence.

The kid has NHL tangibles (i.e., size and skill)...he doesn't have NHL intangibles yet (i.e., competitiveness, ability to bring it every single shift every night). The only place he's going to learn the NHL intangibles is in the NHL.

For all the talk about Kass needing a mentor specific to the role that he should be playing, who would that be? There's no one on the roster that is expected to play the all-around game that we expect of Kass, other than possibly Booth, but he strikes me more as a surfer dude who is trying to find his own way back in the NHL. Whether Kass has leadership skills or not, we won't know because AV has essentially neutered the kid...when Kass stepped up and took on Eager and Clowe, my thoughts were he was showing initiative and leadership and assuming a specific role on the team, but from day 1 when AV wrapped his arms around Kass to prevent him from getting involved, AV has done more to stunt the kid's mental/emotional development which is the area that Kass needs to develop. When Kass's head is right, he's going to be a force in the NHL...my only concern is AV is going to phuck it up for the kid.

So, here's my solution...put Kass back with the Sedins for a few games...let him play with reckless abandon (the Sedins are smart enough to adjust their game for a few games)...and give the kid carte blanche in taking on whoever he wants. This will also help with getting the Sedins to move their game from the perimeter to the middle of the ice, where they seem deathly afraid of entering (the one time they moved their play to the middle last night, Daniel drew a penalty...their perimeter play with Burrows is getting too easy to defend).

We acquired Kass to be a skilled power forward who is capable of chucking them with the best of them, so let the kid be who want him to be.

It's great to send him down for more ice time but who are they going to replace him with? They got no one on the farm that is going to bring more to the team then him at the moment.

I think the opposite, put him with the twins stick Burrows with Kesler when he's back it's more balanced top 2 lines, and Kassian looks good with the twins when ever AV sticks him out there after the PK, he just seems more noticable, in a good way. Plus it makes sense to put a crafty winger like Burrows with Kesler.

Archived