The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boxer Curtis Woodhouse hunts down Twitter troll to confront him at his home

pimpcurtly

Boxer Curtis Woodhouse hunts down Twitter troll to confront him at his home

By Larry Brown March 11, 2013

British boxer Curtis Woodhouse was the subject of some online abuse from a Twitter troll after losing a fight last Friday, and he wasn’t about to let it pass. He decided to take matters into his own hands by hunting down his main Twitter antagonist nearby the person’s home, which left the Twitter user apologetic and presumably frightened.

Woodhouse, 32, is a former professional soccer player who decided to pursue boxing professionally in 2006. He is 17-5 after losing a light welterweight fight to Shayne Singleton by split decision last Friday. Though many people sent him support on Twitter by saying he got robbed in the decision, at least one person criticized him for the loss.

A Twitter user who guys by the handle of @jimmyob88 and the nickname “the master” began attacking Woodhouse and calling him names:

@woodhousecurtis Haha u lost u silly mug fight a 10 year old next time if u want to actually win u waste of spunk

— the master (@jimmyob88) March 11, 2013

@woodhousecurtis retire immediately cant even defend a pathetic little title you are a complete disgrace #awfulboxer

Woodhouse retweeted some of the nasty messages that user sent him so that his entire following would see it. He even wrote back “lol” to “the master” in response, but his friendly tone quickly changed after the nastiness continued.

@woodhousecurtis Whats funny u put so much effort in sacrificed all that time and failed to defend your mickey mouse title #wasteofspunk

@1987holmesj great is a strong word mayweather Ali tyson Lewis were great fighters @woodhousecurtis is a laughable joke in my opinion

“The Master” also wrote to Woodhouse “just retire lets face it your not good the facts and statistics prove my point a handful of losses already” while calling him a s— boxer.

It was after those messages that Woodhouse decided he’d had enough. He offered £1000 to anyone who would provide him a picture and address for the man behind trash-talking Twitter account.

The Twitter troll was unfazed and continued to taunt Woodhouse.

@woodhousecurtis what u going to do knock me out like your last opponent ooops

Woodhouse wasn’t joking around. He found out the person’s real name and street and said he was coming over for a “brew.”

After having his identity and street uncovered, the Twitter troll suddenly changed his tune and began backing down.

@woodhousecurtis chill out pal i was only doing it so you would bite back it was only abit of harmless fun

@woodhousecurtis@wit_xx i was only joking about Didnt think you would be bothered thought you would take them as a joke

@woodhousecurtis i am sorry its getting abit out of hand i am in the wrong i accept that

Since he had gone that far, Woodhouse wasn’t about to turn around even after the Twitter troll began apologizing.

Woodhouse then kept his Twitter followers updated on his mission, saying he was 47 minutes, then 17 miles, and finally 10 minutes away from the troll’s house. When he finally reached the troll’s house, he made sure everyone knew he wasn’t messing around.

Imagine that? The same guy who was acting tough and talking trash on Twitter quickly backed down and went into hiding after Woodhouse got to his home. But Woodhouse found the whole thing amusing. He began cracking jokes.

And with that, Woodhouse signed off for the night.

The anonymity of the Internet has empowered many people to write things to others they ordinarily would never say to someone’s face. Whether it’s a comment made on a blog post or newspaper article, or a posting on a social media service, people are known to act much tougher online than they would in person.

I’m glad Woodhouse did what he did and I hope many Internet trolls read the story so they learn to act differently. We get nasty emails from people all the time who don’t think there are real people operating the website and receiving the emails. As soon as we respond, their tune quickly changes and they become apologetic.

I really wish guys like DeAngelo Williams would have taken the Woodhouse approach, because that’s one way to teach them a lesson.

http://larrybrownsports.com/boxing/curtis-woodhouse-twitter-troll/178612

The Sedins are tough as hell. They just put too much faith in the refs so dan sacrificed getting punched in the face (marchand) to try and draw a call. That was stupid on his part because the refs weren't going to call anything in the finals. Anyways, they aren't the most combative people in the world, but they are definitely tough. They take a lot of beatings and they keep going. No complaints nothing. Can't be a pansy with the ironman streak that Hank is on. I've see them have a bit more pushback this season though and I'm happy about that. If a refs sees you getting pushed around they don't care. They only call penalties on the other team when you spazz out and make a big deal about it.

Archived