The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Jake Gardiner unhappy in Toronto?

How do you know he has not tried to resolve the issue with the team?

GM's don't really care what is best for players unless it happens to also benefit them. When some of the plugs they are playing in TO come back down to earth they might regret this though....

Leafs' Jake Gardiner responds to agent's tweet:

Jake Gardiner doesn't want outside forces to distract him.

One day after his agent Ben Hankinson (@benhankinson) caused a social media stir by tweeting the hashtag "#FreeJakeGardiner," the current Toronto Marlies defenceman said Wednesday he's not going to let it affect his on-ice performance.

"It’s just my agent’s thoughts and his choice to tweet that," Gardiner told reporters after the Marlies’ morning skate on Wednesday. "There are always distractions, especially in Toronto. Sometimes people can blow things out of proportion [but] I don't think he meant anything by it and I'm not going to let that distract me."

The tweet took some focus off the Maple Leafs Tuesday night after they dropped their third straight game, 5-2, to the Winnipeg Jets.

The native of Deephaven, Minn., was also quick to point out he doesn't want the AHL to become his permanent home.

"I’m just trying to play my game and get there as soon as possible," Gardiner said. “Nobody wants to be in the AHL for very long. Everybody wants to play in the NHL."

Speculation grew as to what the tweet meant for Gardiner, who has played in just two games with the Leafs this season and suffered a concussion during the NHL lockout last December. Still, Gardiner has been regarded as an important piece of Toronto's future puzzle.

The 22-year-old began the season on injured reserve, then made his debut in January. He was sent down after two contests with Toronto.

Should Gardiner play in three more games this year for the Leafs, he'll have to clear waivers if Toronto wants to send him back to the AHL.

In 40 games with the Marlies this year, the six-foot-two, 184-pound defenceman has 10 goals and 20 assists. He had a successful rookie campaign last season when he scored seven goals and 30 points in 75 games for the Leafs.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/03/13/sp-nhl-toronto-maple-leafs-jake-gardiner-ahl-marlies-tweet-agent.html

Maybe something like Gardiner, MacArthur and a 2nd for Perry?

Perry - Grabovski - Kessel

Lupul - Bozak - JVR

Frattin - Kadri - Kulemin

Komarov - McClement - McLaren

Phaneuf - Gunnarson

Fraser - Franson

Liles - Kostka

Reimer

Scrivens

That's a playoff roster IMO

Heard an interesting trade proposal coming from a Toronto fan today at work:

To Toronto: Luongo, Booth, 3rd

To Vancouver: Reimer, Bozak, Gardiner, Komisarek, 2nd

His reasoning was the Canucks would have to take a bad contract back in Komisarek, and the 2nd was additional because Bozak is an UFA after this season. I actually like this deal for both sides.

Maybe something like Gardiner, MacArthur and a 2nd for Perry?

Perry - Grabovski - Kessel

Lupul - Bozak - JVR

Frattin - Kadri - Kulemin

Komarov - McClement - McLaren

Phaneuf - Gunnarson

Fraser - Franson

Liles - Kostka

Reimer

Scrivens

That's a playoff roster IMO

You actually believe it would take that little to get a 50 goal scorer. I don't think that conversation even starts without Kessel and Toronto's next two first rounders.

Perry is not going to be traded unless the return is insane, think top 6 forward, top 4 dman, top prospect and two high draft picks. He is worth it, the whole package, big, mean, scores, hustles, and can lead. I'd be more than happy if Gillis offered up Raymond, Edler, Jansen a 1st and a 2nd for perry.

I wonder what it would take for the Canucks to get Paul Ranger. Perhaps he is worth looking at. Another project type player for dirt cheap. Both he and Barker have obviously had NHL success. Ranger, unlike Barker, didn't fall off the face of the planet in terms of hockey ability but "retired" for personal reasons until this season.

Perhaps he's ready to return to the NHL. 23 points in 38 games, +18.

Didn't forget at all, that is the only reason perry and trade are being used in the same sentence. This isn't some near the end of his career rental, irregardless of the fact that he is a pending UFA, perry commands a hefty price from anyone during the season, a slightly lesser price at/before the draft. Anyone who thinks that the could get him for an unproven defenseman and a borderline third liner plus a pick is living in fantasy land. Perry is a star and a franchise player. It will take a massive package for the competitive ducks to even consider trading him.

Agreed. If the Leafs want Perry, they'll have to give quite a bit to get him. You're starting, STARTING with Kadri and Gardiner. Both have not proven past 1 season (or half a season in Kadri's case). Perry is a top 5 RW in the NHL. Regardless of the fact he is a pending UFA, he goes for a lot.

Archived