The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

blocking shots

I have heard something that will be brought up by mike gillis and a few other gms around the league during the gm meetings will be the legality of shot blocking .. I have many friends within the sport who believe that leaving your feet to block a shot should be penalized . WIth the amount of shot blocks per game, I can only imagine how much more teams would be scoring if this rule was set in place .. what do you ladies and gentlemen think ..

do you think it will make the game more exciting ?

do you think theres a chance that the nhl will go for it?

Also hear they'll look into reducing goalie equipment again. Player equipment could be looked at as well. Not interested in larger nets, especially the goofy rounder or bulging examples they showed off a few years back.

As to shot blocking, I wouldn't mind seeing a change if they test it properly in the AHL or something. I personally prefer solid two-way hockey over the terrible high-scoring hockey we see from the east at times. I mean, Pittsburgh v NYI the other night was absolutely atrocious hockey. The same can be said for Det v Van.

Just opinion of course. For whatever reason, a 2-1 game with lots of chances and good defense/goaltending is more exciting than a 6-5 tilt with nothing but offense and lucky bounces.

Archived