The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ryan Miller’s ‘days are numbered’ in Buffalo

It would definitely make sense. Next year is the last year of his contract and if you watch some of his interviews, you can tell that he's sick of losing here and wants a real shot at the cup.

The only problem with the trade is that our backp Enroth sucks and is inconsistant for the most part.

Also look for the Sabres to unload Vanek for the same reasons. Vanek will most likely be looking for a raise or at least to stay at his current salary of just over 7 mill. per year. As great as he is, he isn't worth that kind of money anymore.

It has become obvious that our roster needs to be blown up and rebuilt.

Can you imagine how good 'nucks could be if they could pick up Vanek next year for maybe one or two first round picks and a decent prospect. The Canucks could trade Luongo or Schneider to another team for at least one first rounder and a prospect for sure.

A rental is somebody you get at a trade deadline to use in the playoffs. However, I agree with you on the money issue. If Vanek wants to go to a true contender like the Canucks he would have to agree to make less money than the Sedins. That will be a sticking point to any team that the Sabres would have in trying to send Vanek anywhere.

Guest Dasein

This could lower the trade value of Luongo and Schneider if he eventually becomes available. Id say Gillis needs to make a move at the deadline, or this offseason at the latest.

Does it? Without Miller, Buffalo needs a starting goaltender unless they trade him for a starter. And ideally, you would want to test out the replacement before selling the known product (Miller). For example, if we offer Schneider, I think we could get some good pieces in return.

I think this is a very interesting development. Vancouver seriously needs some help on the blue line, and Buffalo is looking to sell. They have the #1 rental player in my mind, and that is Robyn Regehr - you know - that guy that led the blue line on an improbable Flames Cup run nearly a decade ago.

Regehr is that missing piece Vancouver has desperately needed - he's to Vancouver what Willie Mitchell was to LA - that veteran gritty defensive defenseman. 32 years old at $4.02mil? Instant upgrade on whoever is in on that musical chair that is the 3rd pairing. I'd even overpay if we had to because he is what we are missing on our defense.

Now, I'm not saying Regehr should be the main piece in the deal, but if we could get him as the immediate help along with some future prospects, I would consider it a success.

Proposal

To Vancouver: Robyn Regehr, Zemgus Girgensons/Joel Armia, 2013 2nd round pick

To Buffalo: Cory Schneider, Keith Ballard

It would definitely make sense. Next year is the last year of his contract and if you watch some of his interviews, you can tell that he's sick of losing here and wants a real shot at the cup.

The only problem with the trade is that our backp Enroth sucks and is inconsistant for the most part.

Also look for the Sabres to unload Vanek for the same reasons. Vanek will most likely be looking for a raise or at least to stay at his current salary of just over 7 mill. per year. As great as he is, he isn't worth that kind of money anymore.

It has become obvious that our roster needs to be blown up and rebuilt.

Can you imagine how good 'nucks could be if they could pick up Vanek next year for maybe one or two first round picks and a decent prospect. The Canucks could trade Luongo or Schneider to another team for at least one first rounder and a prospect for sure.

Guest Dasein

Wouldn't happen. Even though Girgensons isn't having a stellar year with Rochester, he's another hard working and hockey hungry youth that has a lot of serious potential. Armia just has too much raw talent. It would be a bad idea to trade him. I think the Sabres realize that the ship won't be righted any time soon. There are just too many holes to fill. In my opinion, the best that our fanbase can hope for is to wallow in mediocrity for another couple of seasons until our prospects come into their own and are ready to do some damage in the NHL.

You do realize that I meant either Girgensons or Armia - not both?

And you do realize that you are getting back Cory Schneider who will solidify your goaltending situation for the next 7-8 years in the post-Miller era?

There are many holes to fill in your organization, but the biggest hole to fill upon the departure of Miller would be in net. Cory Schneider would fill that void and it is always much easier to re-build a team around a stable starting netminder than without.

I can see why you would be hesitant to part with Armia (especially if you are also selling Vanek and Pominville) at the moment but not with Girgensons. Buffalo has a solid group of young centers in Hodgson, Grigorenko and Ennis.

It's a pretty fair deal in my opinion. We give you a solid netminder for a rental that could push us over the top, a solid prospect and a draft pick.

Buffalo should give their head a shake and re-sign him for a couple more years.

Bryz for Miller proposals... can't be serious - Miller has significant value while Bryz, next to Dipietro, has probably the most negative value of all the contracts remaining in the NHL. The Flyers would have to throw in a huge incentive like a bluechip young player at least, and I still doubt Regier bites. If Regier hasn't learned the negative value of a terrible contract yet, he should no longer be an NHL GM.

Guest Dasein

Yep, I knew you meant one or the other. It's just my opinion that it wouldn't be a great decision on the Sabres part. I do see the merits of what you are saying though. You would definitely find Sabres fans who would definitely disagree with me.

I personally think it's time to turn the page on this era of Sabres hockey. Regier is going to be fired at the end of this season and I think it's time for the Sabres to dismantle his 15-16 years of mediocrity. Jettison most of the current core players, and give the next GM a fresh start with a blank slate. Since our owner is worth 3 billion dollars, money will never be an issue. The Sabres will always hover near the top of the salary cap.

Archived