Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Are you guys noticing a certain new rowdyness in our captain?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:47 AM

POPULAR

Is this guy not impressing you with his hard nose play this year?... He's playin like hartnell this season.

Does anybody else think hank meant to do that little pitchfork? Seriously, I'm not just tryin to stir the CDC pot. He's been getting feisty lately, pushing guys around. A few games ago he got between a guy and Bieksa and pushed him. Tonight he got in a shoving match.

Watch that replay again, he totally pitch forked bobrovsky on purpose. Henrik Sedin is one of the best passers in the league and hockey sticks are light as hell, you can't tell me he didn't feel the goalie's head there before he pushed his stick back. I doubt he meant to actually pitch fork up the mask but he was giving him an intentional push. That stick had to business being where it was, puck was in the corner, hank was watching it and not turning around.. Why in one of the best players sticks in the league is pushing behind him?

I think it's awesome though.. That's our captain getting rowdy and getting into it all season. He's doing this to show the team he wants to win. When the supposed softest guy on the team that your supposed to protect and do the dirty work for, is goin out and playing tough like that its contageous.

You watch man, we still got one good run left at least. Captain hanks not takin no poop, guys got a linden run left in him, I can feel it.

What do you guys think? Is this a new side of hank playing tough and aggressive?

Discuss..

#2 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

A LITTLE better than usual. I think this guy would at least punch Marchand back once now.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#3 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

He gets four minutes a game in hooking and holding anyway. I'm happy if he switches it up to four minutes of roughing instead.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

#4 Kyosti Karjalanen

Kyosti Karjalanen

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

I've noticed it too. Some new pushback after whistles, some snarl. I love it. Hope it grows and leads to a Conn Smythe. I think it goes back to the Brown hit in the playoffs, it made him grow/learn/toughen. Definetly a bright sign in a rough patch of weeks.

#5 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

Henrik is definitely playing more physical and scrumming it up from time to time. The Sedins have laid more hits this season than I've ever seen.

Posted ImagePosted Image

RIP LB RR PD

#6 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

I love it when someone upends Danny and thats when you see the fire in Hanks eyes. He goes after whoever it is and knocks them down. It is awesome.

#7 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

Yes indeed, I mentioned it in my thread "Positive Thoughts" last week.

"Little things like Henrik getting between one of his players and shoving his opponent back, both he and Danny finishing checks and pushing off opponents, like they meant it, around Cory's goal."

Edited by Bodee, 13 March 2013 - 03:30 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#8 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

Not even joking , but Hank has been smoldering sine the second week of the season. I have a few games recorded and he has been throwing some savage croschecks and has this nasty scowl on his face ? The twins still have that step and vision as well. These two have some stones and I bet they are willing to roll a few more seasons yet.

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles, 13 March 2013 - 03:33 AM.

2zf729h.jpg

"BiG UP"  to TS for the deadly sig !

#9 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

Markus Naslund probably was a influence.

#10 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

I've noticed it too. Some new pushback after whistles, some snarl. I love it. Hope it grows and leads to a Conn Smythe. I think it goes back to the Brown hit in the playoffs, it made him grow/learn/toughen. Definetly a bright sign in a rough patch of weeks.

I said after the Game 7 when they were both being slaughtered on here. The only reason the Twins probably don't react was that is not how they were brought up.........many coaches think it takes your concentration out of your game to lose your temper.

In my experience there are few soft red heads (they traditionally just take longer to react) and even fewer soft "vikings" :)
Kevin.jpg

#11 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:55 AM

Markus Naslund probably was a influence.

Haha, I remember in NHL 05 when you checked someone with Näslund and the commentators said "Näslund shoves him".... <3

#13 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

I don't think the stick to bobrovskys face was intentional at all, hank was clearly looking at the puck turned around and accidentally hit him when he moved his stick. But I do agree with you that he actually defends himself more and sends a message.

#14 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

Hank has a STRONG back this year, thats forsure
Posted Image

#15 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

He defiantly looks like he has had enough with being pushed around. Now we just have to till he fights Marchand.

#16 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

Yeah I'm loving the transformation.
I think a light bulb went off in his head. He can't rely on the refs to do their jobs and call penalties because they simply wont. So instead of continuing to take abuse, he's had enough.
Frankly I'm glad he came to this realization because I was really hating the way this team was tucking their tails in between their legs on scrums after the whistle.
This is also huge because he is our captain. His style will build team culture and if they see that their captain wont take crap anymore, no one else will either.

For instance, if a 3rd liner sees their captain take abuse in order to draw a penalty, the 3rd liner will probably follow suit because he would be selfish to go after someone after the whistle when he sees his captain putting up with crap for the sake of the team. But now that they see Hank is ok with mixing it up, I can see the rest of the guys do the same

#17 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

"Yeh! Hank's a killer"...............with apologies to Slapshot. :rolleyes:
Kevin.jpg

#18 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Yeah I'm loving the transformation.
I think a light bulb went off in his head. He can't rely on the refs to do their jobs and call penalties because they simply wont. So instead of continuing to take abuse, he's had enough.
Frankly I'm glad he came to this realization because I was really hating the way this team was tucking their tails in between their legs on scrums after the whistle.
This is also huge because he is our captain. His style will build team culture and if they see that their captain wont take crap anymore, no one else will either.

For instance, if a 3rd liner sees their captain take abuse in order to draw a penalty, the 3rd liner will probably follow suit because he would be selfish to go after someone after the whistle when he sees his captain putting up with crap for the sake of the team. But now that they see Hank is ok with mixing it up, I can see the rest of the guys do the same

Last paragraph is spot on.. Look how the team responded last night. Everyone was throwing their bodies around. That hit by Kass was pretty border line but that's the line we want him walking.

Ryan kesler is gonna see this and say, hey, that's the way I'm supposed to play. This new fire in hank is the punch that's missing to put us over the top. He's got a cup hungry look on his face right now, I love it.

I really think he meant to give bob that little shot last night. He's one of the best players in the world, he had to know where his stick was and what he was pushing on. Watch it, there's no reason for him to slightly turn and poke his stick back.... I could be wrong, but from a common sense standpoint watching it in slow mo it totally looked intentional. You can say that's not like him, but his recent snarl makes you think twice.

When the news about the player only meet came out he talked about desperation. Well subtly pitchforkin the goalie is about as desperate as it gets. Now who won the Shootout last night. The goalie who was rattled or the goalie that was smooth and calm..

That's our captain doing whatever it takes to right the ship and I love it

#19 surtur

surtur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

Probably has more to do with the realization that even though they are all star elite players in the lleague the refs do not make the calls. And actually make the calls agWinston them instead they have some tough guys on the team who can keep other teams from getting out of hand but they themselves seen to be taking it into there own hands.

Maybe the offseason training with kassian helped them in the ruff and tough side as much as they helped him mature and get in shape.. Plus having a tighter relationship with a guy like kass never hurts knowing he will watch your back.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#20 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Or how bout when he that full on slapshot to the jaw, hit the ice bit sprung up immediately and skated off just slightly wincing. Wtf was that??? Lol the guy is an absolute rock this year and if it weren't for major team slump this year he'd probably be in the running for MVP again if Crosby went down.

#21 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

I've noticed. Its great to see him add a new dimension to the game.

#22 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

Hank puts the Gggrrrrrrrrr in Swagger.

#23 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Forget about Lundqvist, the true King Henrik is a Sedin. I believe that it all began during the playoffs last year. Outside of the goaltenders, Hank and Danny were the only ones with fire in their bellies.
Posted Image

#24 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

I'm glad I was not the only one noticing that. WE need everyone to step it up in the physical department. If David Booth is our most physical player and Henrik is playing an edge? Guys like Kassian and Lappy have to take a long hard look in the mirror. Yeah I know Kassian threw a big hit last night, but it was on the Blue Jackets smallest player, which resulted in a penalty. Smart, real smart. Can somebody tell me when the last time any of our dmen stepped up and made a bonecrushing hit?

Edited by SergioMomesso, 13 March 2013 - 09:44 AM.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#25 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

It takes alot more to control your temper, keep it inside, play with focus than it does to let it out.

Those who say these guys aren't tough are idiots, they take a huge beating and maintain their focus because they know the best way to retaliate is by putting it in the net.

That being said, sometimes you have to let teams know you'll give em a shot back if they keep doing it, and its good to see that they are letting teams know, hey we're focused but we're not 'the other name for a cat'

#26 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

It all started with Duncan Keith. Lit a fire under Hank.
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#27 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Honestly I'd rather henrik start shooting the puck than become truculent. His obsession with passing makes him all too obvious to shut down come playoffs. This guy consistently "passes up" great looks in the slot and it drives me bonkers. He has great hockey vision and is an incredible passer, but when your opponents no you never shoot it takes an element away from your game. Maybe he's just waiting for the opportune moment to start scoring some snipes. Playoffs would be nice.
Posted Image

#28 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

It's nice to see, but it's 2 years too late. Sorry.

#29 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Daniel a little too, but not as much. Henrik's always been more inclined to physicality though (not like that's saying much though :lol:)

They'll never be mistaken for vikings or anything, but there's pushback and that's nice to see.
Posted Image

#30 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Definitely some more push back. I love it. Your captain MUST have this spark to their game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.