The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Jordan Shroeder's Time in Vancouver Done?

Pasific Coluseum

He might just refuse to sign with us in the offseason, cause he will want to be guaranteed ice time, which under AV is unlikely. I could see his rights traded to a team that would use him in the top 6. And Schroeder deserves to play so I hope he does get traded and is given more than just 2 shifts in the top 6 to prove himself. You need to give young guys a good 15-20 games in the top 6 for them to get comfortable and actually become a force to be reckon with. Look at Schenn and Couturier for example.

Handeling prospects is not the Canucks forte. Good teams know how to use prospects to their absolute potential in order to be productive. You basically need young guys on your team to win a cup, because in a cap era, you need to be able to get every bang for you buck, and prospects are as cheap as they come.

Schroeder's problem is a mental, trust, and positional play issue. He's far too worried about screwing up defensively to take appropriate risks or commit himself to scoring positions. He doesn't seem to trust the guys hes playing with to be responsible defensively. Playing with Wiese and Sestito on the 4th line probably hasn't helped that.

Even when he was playing with Raymond and Hansen, he would always err on the side of defense - ie playing high slot instead of getting down low and not always supporting on a two-man forecheck. Unless he was the low-cycle man, he always plays higher in the zone than he should and is way too quick to leave. He's missed a ton of low-slot rebounds because of it. I've also seen him back off into the Canuck's Dman coverage areas on 1 and 2 on 2's where he was the extra guy (he didn't need to be there).

In the last few games before he got dropped down, I think he started trying to break out of that mentality. Unfortunately being stuck with a couple of fourth line grinders makes succeeding in that role next to impossible.

If I had to guess, he took playing the defensive part of a two-way centre a bit too much to heart. He needs to figure out a better balance, and from what I've seen so far, he has the skills for it. At least when he has offensively capable line mates. He isn't good enough to carry pugs, but he does have pretty good vision, passing, and play making.

Same, just as I do now with Schroeder, the point was Cody was nothing special back then when he first stepped in, worse than Schroeder is now, and look at him now with more development under his belt.

although to no ones surprise, the exact same thing was happening with Cody back then. :lol:

I also agree on the 2nd part, I don't like how people just come crashing down on the guy when he isn't 100% consistent, prospects aren't going to be, thats why they are prospects and not NHLers.

That is terrible.

It's apparent to me that you don't know much about him and what makes/will make him successful other than blowing things out of proportion because of size and his last stretch of games.

ok jordan srhoeder lets compare him to the candiens bredan gallagher roughly the same size and speed and age, who would you rather have ? gallagher is fearless goes to those dirty areas blocks shots scores hits that what any player needs to do to be a impact player in todays nhl, j.s only can skate fast it seems . not very hard on the puck at all so he is done like dinner , if your not scoring or hitting or doing something effective on ice back to the farm , on a aqullini blueberry bus for you

It is pertinent imo to use him as trade bait for a skilled depth D or C for playoff run I advocate Gillis to pull the trigger! How many times has Shroeder been sent up and down up and down? Come playoffs I do not think Jordan will be a factor especially because of the increased physicality. He is small and doesn't look like an everyday NHLer. Playing on the 4th line isn't helping his cause to becoming a point producer. He's been given PP time and lots of games to showcase his talents. Drafted in 2010 he still has struggled mightily to maintain a NHL roster spot.

I think Jordan Shroeder's tenure as a Canuck is all but done. If he goes to a team like the Isles he may find an offensive spark.

Shroeder & Ballard for Visnovsky, Reasoner & 3rd 2013 might be worth looking considering

I really don't know how you'd expect him to be used for trade bait.. were not going to be picking up any player of substance with Jordan Schroder.. Regardless of what ppl think of his opportunity here one thing is for sure he didn't perform well enough period. Im not convinced he'll ever pan out...not to worry tho if you do still have hopes for him id bet the house AV is gone this summer.

2 points today, hopefully he knows what to work on now with that bit of NHL experience and keeps working hard but honestly he won't break out as long as Henrik and Kesler are ahead of him on the depth chart, but I wouldn't mind him being a 40pt 3C with AV permitting but we all know he wants a pure checker there :(.

Archived