Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Is Jordan Shroeder's Time in Vancouver Done?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#91 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

I would use Schroeder as trade bait. He doesn't have as much potential as Hodgson. His ceiling is probably top six player with consistency issues that is if he can overcome his size.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#92 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

Yeah and I don't see how Schroeder doesn't fit the plan.

Smaller players usually gets owned and disappears come playoff time. Unless the player is as good as Patrick Kane or Martin St. Louis of course. Heck even Kane didn't do that well in the playoffs after that single Cup run, having only 1 goal in 13 games. Those 10 goals that he scored back in 09-10 playoffs, what like 6 of them were against us? Small guys naturally have a disadvantage come playoff times, when the game picks up in intensity.

Like I said Schroeder would be great on a weak team as a top 6 player. He would get his top 6 minutes and be a 0.6 ppg type of guy.

He doesn't fit our playoff plans. He would just disappear come playoff time.

Edited by CHIPS, 14 March 2013 - 01:38 AM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#93 Captain-Canuck2562

Captain-Canuck2562

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

It is pertinent imo to use him as trade bait for a skilled depth D or C for playoff run I advocate Gillis to pull the trigger! How many times has Shroeder been sent up and down up and down? Come playoffs I do not think Jordan will be a factor especially because of the increased physicality. He is small and doesn't look like an everyday NHLer. Playing on the 4th line isn't helping his cause to becoming a point producer. He's been given PP time and lots of games to showcase his talents. Drafted in 2010 he still has struggled mightily to maintain a NHL roster spot.

I think Jordan Shroeder's tenure as a Canuck is all but done. If he goes to a team like the Isles he may find an offensive spark.

Shroeder & Ballard for Visnovsky, Reasoner & 3rd 2013 might be worth looking considering

Lol.. Wow great trade!!!....thank god your not the GM

#94 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

I would use Schroeder as trade bait. He doesn't have as much potential as Hodgson. His ceiling is probably top six player with consistency issues that is if he can overcome his size.

He is still a developing prospect..it's very unclear at this point what his ceiling is..While he was up here,size was not an issue..but he did have a drop off..nothing new here for a rookie....Its bizarre how our fan base are so quick to throw a rookie under the bus,then bitch about the management when he lights it up down the road for another team.

#95 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Smaller players usually gets owned and disappears come playoff time. Unless the player is as good as Patrick Kane or Martin St. Louis of course. Heck even Kane didn't do that well in the playoffs after that single Cup run, having only 1 goal in 13 games. Those 10 goals that he scored back in 09-10 playoffs, what like 6 of them were against us? Small guys naturally have a disadvantage come playoff times, when the game picks up in intensity.

Like I said Schroeder would be great on a weak team as a top 6 player. He would get his top 6 minutes and be a 0.6 ppg type of guy.

He doesn't fit our playoff plans. He would just disappear come playoff time.

Marc Savard? (Who JS plays like)
Danny Briere?
Tyler Ennis?
Andy MacDonald?
Brad Marchand?
Brian Gionta?
P-M Bouchard?
Scott Gomez?
Tyler Kennedy?
Ryan Callahan?

Sorry I'm not buying your smaller guy disappearing theory. Which is exactly what it is, your thoery.

Jordan Schroeder is a player who since grade 8 has played against players bigger and older than him and has succeed, he played in the WJ a complete year before his draft year back in 08. And put up good numbers, and is the US all time leading scorer, and I'm pretty sure those tournments are pretty intense. He also has a respectable 14 points in 22 games in AHL playoff action.

I'm just not buying it sorry.

zackass.png

#96 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Danny Briere?
Tyler Ennis?
Andy MacDonald?
Brad Marchand?
Brian Gionta?
P-M Bouchard?
Scott Gomez?
Tyler Kennedy?
Ryan Callahan?

Sorry I'm not buying your smaller guy disappearing theory. Which is exactly what it is, your thoery.

Jordan Schroeder is a player who since grade 8 has played against players bigger and older than him and has succeed, he played in the WJ a complete year before his draft year back in 08. And put up good numbers, and is the US all time leading scorer, and I'm pretty sure those tournments are pretty intense. He also has a respectable 14 points in 22 games in AHL playoff action.

Who on that list of players has won the Cup recently?

Answer: Brad Marchand and Tyler Kennedy. That's it. Marc Savard didn't even play due to injury.

Brad Marchand is a rat and is one in a thousand. Unless Shroeder becomes as vicious as he is, it won't work out.

Tyler Kennedy did well enough back then. This year he sucks.

And then let's look at statistic probability. Obviously big and tough superstars wins the Cup more often than small guys.

Like I said even Patrick Kane sucked in the playoffs after that single Cup run. And his so-called "great" stats in that Cup run was boosted by his points against the Canucks during that meltdown. So like you I don't buy it. I don't buy into the idea of small players because they have never "truly" proven themselves during the playoffs in recent years.

For the record, yes small guy can work. For example I love Pavel Bure. He was great in the playoffs because he is THAT good. But once again you have to be THAT good. What are the chances for Shroeder coming anywhere close to Bure was?

I am not saying we should all be 6'5 230 lbs. But our players need to be decent size to succeed in the playoffs.

Edited by CHIPS, 14 March 2013 - 04:47 PM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#97 JustAFan33

JustAFan33

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

I am not saying we should all be 6'5 230 lbs. But our players need to be decent size to succeed in the playoffs.

Assuming his stats are as accurate as other players in the league (as in not overly inflated), I'm wondering if you realize just how strong a 5'8" guy is at 175 lbs. Especially since it doesn't seem to affect his quickness at all, which is usually a problem when you start carrying that much muscle on a shorter frame.

There are plenty of guys in the NHL who are taller and around his weight. It's really not that big of a difference. If JS doesn't succeed, it won't have anything to do with his size or perceived lack thereof.

He does have to learn to read the play better and commit more often.

#98 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

Who on that list of players has won the Cup recently?

Answer: Brad Marchand and Tyler Kennedy. That's it. Marc Savard didn't even play due to injury.

Brad Marchand is a rat and is one in a thousand. Unless Shroeder becomes as vicious as he is, it won't work out.

Tyler Kennedy did well enough back then. This year he sucks.

And then let's look at statistic probability. Obviously big and tough superstars wins the Cup more often than small guys.

Like I said even Patrick Kane sucked in the playoffs after that single Cup run. And his so-called "great" stats in that Cup run was boosted by his points against the Canucks during that meltdown. So like you I don't buy it. I don't buy into the idea of small players because they have never "truly" proven themselves during the playoffs in recent years.

For the record, yes small guy can work. For example I love Pavel Bure. He was great in the playoffs because he is THAT good. But once again you have to be THAT good. What are the chances for Shroeder coming anywhere close to Bure was?

Well technically Savard and MacDonald can also be added to the list, MacDonald won in 07 and Savard was still apart of the team just on IR.

And I also didn't know you had to win a cup to be considered a good playoff player, are you trying to say that Tyler Kennedy is a better playoff preformer than Danny Briere because he won a cup and Briere didn't and Marc Savard has 22 points in 25 playoff games BTW.

Actually Patrick Kane didn't suck, he was a young player that was still developing. Again people have this thing that developing is apparantly sucking, when in reality young players take awhile to develop.

I never used Bure as an example, if you noticed I didn't use top stars I used good top 6 players, JS's potential, or else I would have thrown Zach Parise in there too. And as far as those players I used go:

Briere: 109 points in 108 Playoff Games
MacDonald: 37 points in 50 playoff games
Bouchard: 7 Points in 16 playoff games
Ennis: 8 points in 13 playoff games
Gomez: 99 Points in 140 playoff games
Marchand: 21 points in 32 playoff games
Callahan: 19 Points in 47 Playoff games
Kennedy: 22 points in 67 playoff games
Gionta: 60 pointsin 93 playoff games

Once again I am not buying it, there is a proven success record here for smaller players, it proves they can contribute in the playoffs as much as any player. Last I remember you win games by scoring goals not by throwing body checks.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 14 March 2013 - 05:18 PM.

zackass.png

#99 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Hahahahaha, it feels so good to be soooooo right. I've always said on here that Jordan Schroeder was a terrible choice at the draft and that he has proven to be a bust. But most of you tools just kept denying it over and over again. You said his poor production in the AHL meant nothing, and that he just needed better linemates to showcase his massive play-making skills. A lot of you were penciling him in as a fine replacement for Kesler on the second line until Kesler got back from injury, and yadda yadda yadda.

Now look at you. Almost every one of you has come to the realization that the kid is no good. Too small, not enough offensive upside to make up for this, and not enough passion to make up for either. AHAHAHAHA

Taking stock: most of you said the Canucks were fine in nearly every aspect up until just a couple weeks ago, and you were wrong; most of you said Jordan Schroeder would make a significant impact on the team, and you were wrong; most of you said the same thing about Kassian and that he was much more useful to the team than Hodgson, and you were wrong; you said Gillis was a genius, and you were wrong; you said Gillis was right to let Salo walk, and you were wrong; you said the Canucks as usual would be a lock for a playoff spot this season, and you were wrong; you said up until just a couple weeks ago that AV was a great coach, and you were wrong... I COULD GO ON FOREVERRRRRRRRR!!!

Posted Image

#100 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

23 games ago he was our only top prospect able to play NHL minutes.
Jensen is two years away from NHL full time.
Jensen already has one concussion.I would say he will be brought to the big show very slowly.

pretty dumb post

MG has said several times jensen could easily get a look with the club , hes not two years away , he could walk into camp next year and have a roster spot , he could get called up this year if he's hot

and his concussion was over a year ago

i really dont get some of you

Edited by cIutch, 14 March 2013 - 06:04 PM.

Posted Image

#101 naslund.is.king

naslund.is.king

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

For this year possibly..injury or stellar play will bring him back hes a great young talent

#102 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Wtf? If you're gonna trade one of your top prospects, you best not be getting a crybaby and a fossil back.
Posted Image

#103 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

You know nothing about concussions,obviously,Clutch.
Stick to commenting upon something you actually have some experience or knowledge of,would you?

#104 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

Didn't Gillis say Kass would be an impact playoff performer last year?

What was Gillis saying about Schroeder after his two goal night?

Forget Gillis and deal with reality.

#105 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

Who is that Andrew Ebbett guy 95% of CDC has been slagging?

#106 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

too lazy to read all of the comments. As a smaller guy hes going to take longer to make it long term in the NHL. Doesnt mean it cant be done. But he has to have a work ethic like Martin St.Louis to stay in the show. Smaller players are making it big in the NHL, they just have to work harder. Now that hes got a taste of what it takes and probably got lots of advice from his peers, (sedins, and other veterans and coaches) he knows what it takes to stay up there longer , maybe next year...or he could be used as trade bait. I think he would excel on a team like the Islanders (like Grabner is) or Washington...I am not saying he wouldnt excel here...its just going to take him longer. Hes still young, lots of time to get stronger, build is strength and keep working hard...I dont think hes going to be the Brandon Reid or Shirikov (who had a terrible attitude)
Life is short, LIVE IT

#107 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,151 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Danny Briere?
Tyler Ennis?
Andy MacDonald?
Brad Marchand?
Brian Gionta?
P-M Bouchard?
Scott Gomez?
Tyler Kennedy?
Ryan Callahan?

Schroeder really hasn't been too relevant ever since he's been drafted. His stats for some reason took a huge hit after he was drafted. He was a dominant force on the world juniors, but he wasn't as much as an elite scorer in the juniors in 2010 as opposed to 2008 and 2009 (before he was drafted). Also, his production dropped drastically in his sophomore year at college from 45 pts in 35 games to 28 pts in 37 games. His AHL stats have been underwhelming to say the least and his size is definitely an issue at this point. The difference between Schroeder and all of the guys on your list is that those guys were dominating offensively at Schroeder's age while Schroeder has been mediocre at the NHL and AHL level. If he doesn't turn around his career at this point, he won't be a consistent NHL player (Jason Krog, Brandon Reid, Steve Kariya).

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 15 March 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#108 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

the only trade i could see schroeder is a trade to unload a heavy contract or to aquire casey cizikas

#109 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

I wouldn't say its done.
But long-term I don't know how favourable it looks for him.

It will be difficult for him to cut it in this league.
He may or may not make it.

#110 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

I think we will see him again AV said it himself. He sees Schred as a gifted offensive talent that wasn't performing as well as he believed he could. Normally AV would just say I'm going with the guys who give us the best chance to win like he does when he sweeps Ballard under the rug.

I don't think Schredder was mishandled he was given a tryout in difficult game situations. If they wanted to trade him he would have gotten showcased like CoHo and given every opportunity to succeed. Instead he was given tough mins with little chance to score to see if he could handle the big boys in the nhl.

#111 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Who is that Andrew Ebbett guy 95% of CDC has been slagging?

I agree with you on this one nit.
I like Schroeder - I could care less about his size and think he's going to be a very good NHL player - but Ebbett isn't chopped liver - he's played very well for us whenever he's gotten an opportunity - he's an intelligent two way player who is also opportune - he has a great attitude - no doubt brings very good leadership qualities to the Wolves, and re-signed here despite the fact that he probably wasn't going to see much NHL ice time.

#112 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

He is still a developing prospect..it's very unclear at this point what his ceiling is..While he was up here,size was not an issue..but he did have a drop off..nothing new here for a rookie....Its bizarre how our fan base are so quick to throw a rookie under the bus,then bitch about the management when he lights it up down the road for another team.

He fell in the draft for a reason. He wasn't a surefire top 10 "safe" pick like Hodgson was.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#113 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,511 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

Schroeder's been looking more comfortable offensively in his two games with the Wolves. He's doing well again, if not better than before (small sample size though) and I think he'll grow from his experience now.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.