The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Mason Raymond’s shootout winner revives old spin-o-rama debate

Alex the Great

I know its probably not that exciting for hard core hockey fans. However my wife who isn't much of a hockey fan was hooting and hollering after raymonds spinorama she thought it was great and it probably made it just a bit easier for me to get her to watch the next game. So I hope they don't get rid of it until they get rid of the shootout.

I am just thankful to have a player who can perform a move that sends a goalie "out of the building" and makes him pay to get back in.

I watched a guy the other night place the toe of his stick on the puck and guide it all the way to the goal........fortunately he missed.........that for me was cheating.

Raymond's attention to detail was shown by his "roofing" it just in case the goalie made a Lazarus type come back.

I think we have enough to complain about without moaning about success.........and a win. Especially as having to go to a shootout for the Canucks is like placing our fate in the hands of the three blind mice.

I don't think it should have counted.

I always get confused about whether it's forward momentum, or continuous puck motion, or continuous body motion...but if it's continuous puck momentum, then does that mean you can just skate in circles so long as the puck's moving and you're above the goal line? The rules need some verification.

To me, Raymond's goal was more like a stop and then turning around rather then a fluid spinorama. He clearly steps backwards. I dunno, I'm not sure what the rules are, they seem vague. To me, that's not kosher.

I am just thankful to have a player who can perform a move that sends a goalie "out of the building" and makes him pay to get back in.

I watched a guy the other night place the toe of his stick on the puck and guide it all the way to the goal........fortunately he missed.........that for me was cheating.

Raymond's attention to detail was shown by his "roofing" it just in case the goalie made a Lazarus type come back.

I think we have enough to complain about without moaning about success.........and a win. Especially as having to go to a shootout for the Canucks is like placing our fate in the hands of the three blind mice.

In a game starving for goals we're twisting the rule book to prevent goals. How about getting rid of the no-icing rule when a team kills penalties. There's so much trapping and defensive play no one wants to take a risk to score

I can't really say I understand why there is a debate about being legal or illegal. If he scores, he scores, if he doesn't he doesn't. I understand that you can't have a second shot at the puck on a shootout goal, but I get lost when they start talking about "forward momentum".

However I'd be fine with ending a regulation game with a tie. I don't care about overtime, except in the playoffs, and I don't like the shootout.

Archived