The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Mason Raymond’s shootout winner revives old spin-o-rama debate

Alex the Great

I don't think it should have counted.

I always get confused about whether it's forward momentum, or continuous puck motion, or continuous body motion...but if it's continuous puck momentum, then does that mean you can just skate in circles so long as the puck's moving and you're above the goal line? The rules need some verification.

To me, Raymond's goal was more like a stop and then turning around rather then a fluid spinorama. He clearly steps backwards. I dunno, I'm not sure what the rules are, they seem vague. To me, that's not kosher.

It's legal according to the rule book and a bunch of players do it.

Shootouts are terrible though. I hate winning them, as it leaves me with an empty "win", and I hate losing in them even more. Increasing the OT to 10 minutes would produce more action and goals. 5 minutes is too short, and most teams try to kill into the SO. Often they go back and forth with plenty of chances and blow the final whistle right as the intensity ramps up. 5 extra minutes would provide way more excitement than the 5 minutes of shootout.

I'd rather take a tie every 10-13 games than a shootout (win or loss) every 4-5.

I agree. I too am happy we won and it was a good move - based on the rules as they currently stand. But I think the rules should be changed to ensure the player is constantly moving forward. Raymond basically stopped dead and quite honestly - it looked very awkward and almost embarassing. I think the shootout needs to go back to basics with no more of these ringette-style or puck-barely-moving plays.

I hate the complaining about the spin-o-ramo in the shootout. Its always been allowed, so there's nothing to debate. Whether or not it should be allowed is another question. Why does it matter though? The shootout is silly, and the rules in the shootout suit it perfectly.

are you going to complain if another team do the same thing on the game winning goal in a shootout to us in the future?

the shootout goal was awkward.. Raymond literally stop  before he put the puck into the net.

Considering how dumb the shootout is anyways, I think it would be amusing if a player just wound up and took a slapshot from centre ice. Just to make a point of course, although it wouldn't get him in the Coaches (or fans if they lose) good books.

As others have pointed out here the shootout is a gimmick, players should be allowed to do whatever they want. Hell, dive on your stomach and push it in the net, wear a costume. On the team 1040 it was suggested that if players took their pants off it would be mildly more entertaining.

Moon the goalie then quickly turn around and score while he has his eyes closed.

I'm surprised it counted, only because it was the Canucks. Our friends in the war-room in TO must have been in be already.

I don' mind the spin-o-rama, it's the picking up the puck "lacrosse" move that concerns me. We haven't seen it in the NHL yet, but I think it ranks with kicking the puck, or knocking it in with a high stick

Archived