The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Mason Raymond’s shootout winner revives old spin-o-rama debate

Alex the Great

Another day, another shootout controversy, although you'll be pleased to know this one isn't about whether the player had the galling nerve to try something slightly different: no, it's not that old saw.

It's an even older debate: the spin-o-rama and the suspect motions therein.

Mason Raymond has had the move in his bag of tricks for years, using it to success several times for the Vancouver Canucks. On Tuesday night, he helped the club break their four-game losing skid by beating Sergei Bobrovsky handily with it, and I do mean handily:

But some didn't like it, and count Todd Richards among the some. Heck, he was leading the some.

The Blue Jackets' head coach wanted the goal reviewed in Toronto immediately. "I was trying to get [the officials'] attention, but nobody was moving," he said to Aaron Portzline after the game.

"To me, it looks a little questionable, because it looks like he does take a step backward."

"To me it looks like the puck is moving backward. [but] that’s not the only [shootout] goal that's been scored like that."

It certainly isn't the only goal that's been scored like that. The spin-o-rama is a fairly standard these days, which is why it's so strange that Richards and the other aggrieved parties seem so foggy on its legality.

Hasn't this debate been settled by now? Section 24.2 of the NHL Rulebook makes explicit how the move passes muster: "The spin-o-rama type move where the player completes a 360° turn as he approaches the goal shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion."

That was written in specifically to satisfy the "It stopped!" and "It went backwards!" crowds that are calling this move a cheat now. It's not a matter of whether or not Raymond takes a step backwards, or even whether the puck does, since it obviously has to in order for this move to be kosher. The only question is whether there's continuous motion on this play. It just can't stop.

To my eyes, it never does. It looks, to me, like any other spin-o-rama, apart from how spectacularly Bobrovsky bites on it, and maybe the extra step Raymond takes in the other direction, which allows him to roof the puck with some authority. But even that seems passable since the puck is fully visible and always moving. What's the debate here?

Hmmm I thought it was a little strange since he stopped moving forward himself and even moved back a little if u ask me. But its the movement of the puck that matters... I can see the rule being changed.

shootout is a skills competition anyway. I have no problem with Daugavin's move, and have absolutely no problems with Raymond's move. Have you ever heard someone speaking out against Datsyuk embarassing goalies with his moves? Seriously, come on. Goalies, if you don't want to be embarassed, make the frackin save and that's it.

Anyway, shootout are for girls and Gary Bettman. Real fans like me want to see continuous overtime - yeah, you got that right - playoff hockey.

I don't think it should have counted.

I always get confused about whether it's forward momentum, or continuous puck motion, or continuous body motion...but if it's continuous puck momentum, then does that mean you can just skate in circles so long as the puck's moving and you're above the goal line? The rules need some verification.

To me, Raymond's goal was more like a stop and then turning around rather then a fluid spinorama. He clearly steps backwards. I dunno, I'm not sure what the rules are, they seem vague. To me, that's not kosher.

Embrace it

i want all our players to do it next shootout , the shootouts are a freaking joke and a coin toss and shouldnt be looked at them more then that

the fact we got 2 points because of that is freaking hilarious and also extremely pathetic

shootout is a skills competition anyway. I have no problem with Daugavin's move, and have absolutely no problems with Raymond's move. Have you ever heard someone speaking out against Datsyuk embarassing goalies with his moves? Seriously, come on. Goalies, if you don't want to be embarassed, make the frackin save and that's it.

Anyway, shootout are for girls and Gary Bettman. Real fans like me want to see continuous overtime - yeah, you got that right - playoff hockey.

Raymond's goal was legal under current rules. Not much more to say on that.

I personally don't like the spin-o-rama and feel that the player should have continuous motion towards the net. Shoot-outs are bad enough but this partucular move is another step away from a legitimate hockey play.

Archived