The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on NHL OT Rules

Canucks had played on many shootout games this season and lost. To be honest, I'm starting to lose intersts on the shootouts. I found it very new and excited at first to see the shootout the first few seasons when it was introduced but now I really think it is stupid to decide a game on a shootout.

It is equalilent to deciding a NBA game in a dunk contest or a baseball game in a homerun derby. Yes, it would be fun at first but we'll probably lose interest in a couple of years.

Here is my idea: cut the season short to let's say a 72 games schedule and let them play 4 on 4 sudden death for the overtime until a team scores There will only be wins and loses for the standings. I don't like teams getting a single point when the games go into an overtime.

I think this will reduce injuries and mileages on the players as well. We do not need an 82 games schedule. What are your thoughts on this?

Canucks had played on many shootout games this season and lost. To be honest, I've started to lose intersts on the shootouts. I found it very new and excited at first to see the shootout the first few seasons when it was introduced but now I really think it is stupid to decide a game on a shootout.

It is equalilent to deciding a NBA game in a dunk contest or a baseball game in a homerun derby. Yes, it would be fun at first but we'll probably lose interest in a couple of years.

Here is my idea: cut the season short to let's say a 72 games schedule and let them play 4 on 4 sudden death for the overtime until a team scores There will only be wins and loses for the standings. I don't like teams getting a single point when the games go into an overtime.

I think this will reduce injuries and mileages on the players as well. We do not need an 82 games schedule. What are your thoughts on this?

Canucks had played on many shootout games this season and lost. To be honest, I'm starting to lose intersts on the shootouts. I found it very new and excited at first to see the shootout the first few seasons when it was introduced but now I really think it is stupid to decide a game on a shootout.

Eliminate Shootouts and for Overtime keep four on four. For wins and losses do the following :

1 Regulation Win 2pts/Regulation Loss 0pts

2 Overtime Win 2pts/Overtime Loss 0pts

3 Make overtime ties 1pt each.

Giving a point for an overtime loss or a Shootout loss is basically rewarding failure.

I've always thought shootouts were way to common.

I feel like shootouts should be a rather rare thing, like multiple overtimes in the playoffs.

They're so common that it's no big deal when one happens, but I'd like it to be more of a cool, unique thing.

EDIT:

I like the three point system proposed by some posters.

To clarify, I don't want shootouts completely gone from the game, I just want them to be more rare.

I'd suggest having 10 minute 4 on 4 OT to lessen the chances of shootouts.

If still no one scores in a 10 minute OT, then go to shootouts.

I concur , that would make for some fast paced exciting hockey. But what would happen if someone did something so horrible a penalty had to be called, would make for quite the debate on refs or when penalties should and shouldnt be called etc

Perhaps in a 3v3 situation if someone takes a penalty the opposing team gets to put an extra player on for the duration of the penalty. This would keep the player in the box, put his team shorthanded, and give the opposing team the powerplay they should be rightfully given due to the penalty being taken.

Archived