Thoughts on NHL OT Rules

5 minutes of 4 on 4, then 5 minutes of 3 on 3

3 points for regulation win

2 points for OT win

1 point for OT loss

0 points for regulation loss

I've always wanted to see how 3 on 3 would work in the NHL

Why not do what the NBA does?

Continuous 5 minute overtimes, except after 2 OT's we go to a Shootout. Also, no more loser points!!

Win= 2pts

Lose= 0pts

OT Win= 2pts

OT Loss= 0pts

Shootout Win= 2pts

Shootout Loss= 0pts

Eliminate loser points, only wins and losses!!

The shootout is too gimmicky, and the rules in the shootout are also too gimmicky. I say continuous OT starting with 4 on 4 for some amount of time, then 3 on 3 until a goal.

3 on 3 still sounds a bit gimmicky to me, but its better then a shootout. I'd be ok with continuous 4 on 4.

4 vs 4 for five minutes.

then 3 vs 3 until someone scores

Having a shootout is like having the players go rock, paper, scissors with the goalie for the extra point.

I'm all for the 3 vs 3 format until someone scores (shouldn't take too long with all that extra ice). As someone mentioned, taking a penalty 3 on 3 will let the other team put one player back on the ice. Don't see an issue with having it this way. More team orientated than what we have now.

Because of the shootout, penalty shots are far less interesting to me now. I used to get so excited whenever a penalty shot was rewarded cause you hardly ever saw a one on one with a goalie. Now it's just "meh".

This is the best format I think.

Ive always wanted to see what 3 on 3 would be like. If there is a penalty, then there is a penalty shot awarded, none of this putting an extra player on the ice. If there is a callable penalty it will usually be directly related to a scoring opportunity anyway, with only 3 skaters per side

Ive always wanted to see what 3 on 3 would be like. If there is a penalty, then there is a penalty shot awarded, none of this putting an extra player on the ice. If there is a callable penalty it will usually be directly related to a scoring opportunity anyway, with only 3 skaters per side

Archived