The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Hockey Central Panel - Mike Ribeiro a good fit for Vancouver

Guest Gumballthechewy

because he is a selke winner and he is very good in the face-off circle with a win percentage between 50-57 over the last 3 years. You don`t simply put somebody that good in the circle on the wing and let that go to waste

Why rent a diver we have enough of them under contract now. I watched Ribero in a game this year and he got high sticked and proceeded to meltdown the whole game, friggin useless the whole game after that. How would he do on the Canucks being bullied around when the reffs put away their whistles, be floppin all over the ice.

I love how no one wants "soft" players, only goons, then whine when goons are useless. The Canucks are a team that gets by on talent, not on crashing around. Trying to force goons into the top six isn't going to magically fix the offense - good offensive players will.

He has been nearly PPG every season for the last nine years, and has 28 points in 25 games this year. Stop running your mouth just to hear yourself talk.

You're being a simpleton. No one is suggesting a "goon" for the second line. Soft vs goon aren't the options.

What most of us want is a relatively decent two way player, one who isn't a one-trick center who can't win faceoffs, lacks a physical element to his game, isn't very good in his own end, down low, or on the boards, isn't a particularly good skater, is an overpriced rental, and isn't really the type of character that the team needs to add.

Don't be telling Noheart not to be running his mouth.

Ribeiro won't come cheap, he is playing top line minutes with Ovie for most of the season. My gut is the price will be too steep. I'd definitely put my feelers out there.

I'd also see what Pomminville is going for, would they consider Booth +?

We're all entitled to our opinions but some of your opinions are just wrong :P

Ribeiro would be a great fit on this team and adds an element we're sorely lacking, skill. Outside the Sedins we're undertalented. Kesler, Burrows, Higgins, Booth, Hansen all guys who work their ass off, produce (booth being the exception) and nobody will question their work ethic but they're strict north and south guys, guys who create off their hard work and forecheck, the talent ranges between this group but none are classic offensive talents, they can put the puck in the net through hard work and smart play but you need some slick players in your line up as well, outside the twins, amongst the forwards Raymond might be our most creative player and that's not saying a lot. Hard working north and south guys need to play with skill players to get the puck at the right times in the right spots...whether he dives or you don't like that he isn't physical enough, that's irrelevant, his job is to create offensive chances on this team he could and he'd make the players around him better, how can you argue that he couldn't be a fit here?

I love how no one wants "soft" players, only goons, then whine when goons are useless. The Canucks are a team that gets by on talent, not on crashing around. Trying to force goons into the top six isn't going to magically fix the offense - good offensive players will.

He has been nearly PPG every season for the last nine years, and has 28 points in 25 games this year. Stop running your mouth just to hear yourself talk.

All I saw was Kipper crapping the bed. We have enough guys that want to shoot from the blueline/half boards. I want someone who is willing to get dirty and score some goals.

Edit: possibly screened by Giordano, regardless, lots of space to muck around 4-on-4 and vs the flames

Two way players score goals - and they defend.

I've heard hundreds and hundreds of times here that what the Canucks need are guys who can score in the playoffs.

Ribiero has 5 goals in 42 lifetime playoff games.

Just to put that in perspective, who of all Canucks, get complained about the most for not being able to produce in the playoffs?

Raymond - has 7 goals in 51 lifetime playoff games.

Raymond on the other hand, isn't a liability without the puck - he actually backchecks and does his best to contribute in other ways.

Ribiero is just plain the worst two way player on the Capitals - and the same was the case last year in Dallas.

He's an overpayment and not what this club needs. His offensive upside is a wash at best when you consider the rest of his game.

MG would be far better off imo acquiring an actual center - with a reasonable contract - a guy who can actually win faceoffs, play hockey in his own end of the ice and chip in with some scoring - or a legitimate winger who does more than provide the odd flash and is otherwise a liability.

There is a difference between shooting and scoring from the blueline, at least he gets the job done.

Seems like you're just trying to list off excuses, whether you agree or not the guy has a ton of skill and would drastically improve the 2nd line.

Archived