The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TONY GALLAGHERS ARTICLE

THERETOOL

Although I don't think it's a conspiracy where they purposely told the refs to not make calls when Burrows is involved, you would have to be blind to see that they do a lot of stuff slide when Burrows is on the receiving end. Probably has more to do with subconscious bias than anything.

There was a game where Daniel got called for embellishment when he was clearly trying to stay on his feet during an interference. All this has to go back to the 2011 cup run where the media hyped the Canucks as divers. We do have divers on the team but the Sedins are definitely not part of this group. When Brown ran Henrik, he tried his best to pop back up. Even when Daniel got viciously elbowed he didn't lay on the ice to draw a major penalty. The Sedins have had some vicious attacks on them and always pop back up so it pisses me off when someone calls them divers.

This is an example of how the media can affect the perspective of even the officials which shouldn't be the case. However, the Canucks are not the only people affected by this. For the longest time, Mike Ribeiro couldn't get a call if his life depended on it. It's human nature I guess but it is quite obvious in the NHL when compared to every other league.

I actually think Gallagher is spot on.

However, Burrows has made his own bed with his head-snap-back ways. He still embellishes all the time, same with Kesler. They may be on the receiving ends of infractions, but they try to also make it look even worse than it is. If you can't or refuse to see that then you just have blind faith and are a fanboy.

When players act like that, they make the refs job much tougher, and in turn, the refs do the same. It's not right, but it's the way it is.

Although I don't think it's a conspiracy where they purposely told the refs to not make calls when Burrows is involved, you would have to be blind to see that they do a lot of stuff slide when Burrows is on the receiving end. Probably has more to do with subconscious bias than anything.

Burrows owned and is continuing to wear the stigma of a player who embellishes. Considering how he plays, he deserves it. We shouldn't be surprised that he gets the calls or non-calls he does, even if he has changed, it will take years for refs to trust him again. I'm not saying the officials have been good, far from it. But as pointed out they are human, and despite best efforts, do get emotionally involved in games, any ref here can attest to this. The only thing Burrows could do is change his game, but he hasn't and IMO never will because this style of play seems to be part of his personality. Don't expect any mercy from the refs in the future.

This is another good point. I guess this is my problem with the article. It is one thing to say some guys get more calls against them than others, however when both sides (owners and players union) doesn't seem to think its a big deal I wonder how much merit there is to Ghallagher's point.

Archived