The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TONY GALLAGHERS ARTICLE

THERETOOL

And here's my deal...you can't have "lingering" issues or personal vendettas against players that carry over...there are diving penalties and provisions in place to immediately deal with incidents, at which point they should be history. Anything less is inappropriate - refs are there to enforce the rules during the course of play, not to write out a list for Santa.

I think whats really sad is that most of us realize that biased reffing is actually happening ,. its one thing to vent , and complain when your team has lost and you dont feel youve gotten the calls , but this is happening every game now!! I cant beleive its really true .. serious .. im always fighting on this board saying ' dont blame the reffs ' ! every game its getting harder to defend them ...... could you imagine if our team clutched and held the oppositions top players as much as they do with the sedins ? .. its making this game hard to watch .. we just want equal treatment .. no more , no less ..

And here's my deal...you can't have "lingering" issues or personal vendettas against players that carry over...there are diving penalties and provisions in place to immediately deal with incidents, at which point they should be history. Anything less is inappropriate - refs are there to enforce the rules during the course of play, not to write out a list for Santa.

Why should they though? If these are supposed to be professional referees? How do you accept that?

He's "radioactive"?. So that's just the way it is, and we fans and every player wearing a Canucks uniform by association and especially the right winger on our top line, the straw that stirs the double, have to just accept that the some (I don't think all) of the refs allow personal vendettas to decide when they blow their whistles whenever our top line is on the ice?

Matt Cooke gets a redemption arch. My gawd I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL awarded him the Lady Byng to show their love. But Alex can never shake his rep no matter how much he just shuts his mouth after every penalty against and no matter that every team in the league knows...wink wink...that its open season on him.

But you're ok with that. Alex will end up having to retire early because of the wear and tear he takes without consequence. Or he'll get an injury that will affect that magic synergy he has with the twins. And you know how long it took to find that missing piece.

Also its all ok because....he shouldn't have complained in the first place? Laughable hearing posters say he should "be a man" and then criticize him for bravely speaking truth to power about Auger. Maybe not the best thing for the organization, but as a man how can you not blame him? Its like speaking up against bullying. Maybe you can't win, but it takes guts to expose the bully for what he is. The team lost two points that night even though Burrows scored two goals because of two ghost penalties against Burrows. All of you "he's a known diver" posters seem unaware that Augers diving call that game was Alex's 2nd in his NHL career. Don't you think he'd have a longer rap sheet than that if he was such a proliferate diver?

I think you may be right. That's how bullying works though. Once a target is made, he is forever imbued with the identity, and no one in the peer group will give him a break. I think it HAS become subconscious to a lot of these refs. Burrows is just THAT player that they're supposed to "punish" by ignoring calls for and being trigger happy for calls against.

And the team is not complaining. Burrows is not complaining. Its a sports writer. It probably will not make any difference, but its great to hear someone actually say it.

The biggest problem is people thinking Burrows was out of line. The ref was not doing his job and talking to Burrows was a personal problem that had nothing to do with the game in hand. This was not player to ref, but man to man and Burrows had every right to call someone out who was threating how he performs at his job. At the very moment the ref toke upon himself to skate beside Burrows and engage in threatening conversation the code was broken and this was like anyone threatening Burrows.

The biggest problem is people thinking Burrows was out of line. The ref was not doing his job and talking to Burrows was a personal problem that had nothing to do with the game in hand. This was not player to ref, but man to man and Burrows had every right to call someone out who was threating how he performs at his job. At the very moment the ref toke upon himself to skate beside Burrows and engage in threatening conversation the code was broken and this was like anyone threatening Burrows.

You misunderstand me. I think it's unfortunate that things are the way they are with Burrows, but people need to understand the referees mentality. Like any of the enforcement professions, police, prison guards etc. the refs have a 'us against the world' brotherhood thing going on and if you harm one, you're taking on the group. For life. That's just how it is with these guys and for Gillis to allowe this to happen is the real disaster here. He knew better.

It rivals the Luongo contract as Gillis' worst rookie GM gaffe.

You misunderstand me. I think it's unfortunate that things are the way they are with Burrows, but people need to understand the referees mentality.  Like any of the enforcement professions, police, prison guards etc. the refs have a 'us against the world' brotherhood thing going on and if you harm one, you're taking on the group. For life. That's just how it is with these guys and for Gillis to allowe this to happen is the real disaster here. He knew better.

It rivals the Luongo contract as Gillis' worst rookie GM gaffe.

By diving, that referee felt that Burrows embarrassed him and he was telling him man to man that he owed him one. Burrows needed to keep his mouth shut and take his medicine.

Then he wouldn't be in this position all this time later.

OK. I just thought you were sounding resigned to it. I just don't think we should be. Even in the world of the police force, they are investigated and punished if they cross the line either because of racism or whatever...In the hockey world its all hush hush if it happens at all, so that doesn't bode well for curbing this behaviour in the future.

And Gillis or AV didn't have time to step in. It was Burrows being asked about the game in the locker room by reporters right after the game. If he had been given some time to cool down first he may not have vented publicly like that which would have been obviously better for everyone, other than Auger.

I absolutely agree about the length of the Luongo contract ;)

Archived