The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TONY GALLAGHERS ARTICLE

THERETOOL

Burrows had been ranting about this to his teammates through the course of the game, I find it incomprehensible that for something this 'offside' to have occurred before and during the game that the club officials were not alerted to it and well aware of the situation by games end. It would have been on the club, ie. Gillis, to handle Burrows dealing with the media; it's on Gillis either way, by commission or omission, which is probably why, if I remember right, Gillis did put it on himself when asked.

Burrows had been ranting about this to his teammates through the course of the game, I find it incomprehensible that for something this 'offside' to have occurred before and during the game that the club officials were not alerted to it and well aware of the situation by games end. It would have been on the club, ie. Gillis, to handle Burrows dealing with the media; it's on Gillis either way, by commission or omission, which is probably why, if I remember right, Gillis did put it on himself when asked.

I want to lay off but you keep digging yourself deeper.

Not only was there was not much chance that Gillis could have had time to run down from the press box and intercept Burrows before the press interviews in the locker room, but more importantly, HE WOULDN'T HAVE EVEN KNOWN until it was all over. Burrows himself said in the interview, i forget exactly, that he wasn't even going to mention it, but the fact that it cost the team the win and was unfair to his fellow team mates he felt he had to. He made that decision to speak right there with the cameras running. So how was Gillis to know this was even going on? No one knew. They only uncovered that grainy video of Auger talking to Burrows before the game the next day.

So the only way it could have been prevented is if Burrows had held back his emotions in the heat of the moment. But how can you blame him for that? I challenge any of us to act differently in that situation.

Back to the police allegory that you brought up. Is it also ok for some shop keeper on a corrupt policeman's beat to just pay up for his protection money? Because by not speaking up he is "preventing" the backlash that will come to him from that policeman in the future? I guess in some ways you are right. But I for one cannot criticize someone for doing what they feel is the morally right thing to do at the time.

Hes absolutly right, burrows will always be targeted. He will never get the benefit of the doubt no matter what and whenever he gets crosschecked in the back that 90% of the refs would call a penalty the canucks will never benefit and will never go on the pp for it.

Maybe the Canucks just need to set up a one timer and instead of putting it on net, it could be deflected into the face of a biased official? Do it as often as necessary until they get the point. If it happens ten games in a row, it happens ten games in a row.

The whole (BS) climate of "can't speak poorly about the officials" is garbage and needs changing. In what other situation can you not call out someone on the job? Of course you can, it's how corruption is held at bay and accountability is demanded.

The untouchable club of officials has to start answering for their actions or the abuse of power will continue to go unchecked and run rampant. The ol' boys club needs to be a thing of the past.

The whole (BS) climate of "can't speak poorly about the officials" is garbage and needs changing. In what other situation can you not call out someone on the job? Of course you can, it's how corruption is held at bay and accountability is demanded.

The untouchable club of officials has to start answering for their actions or the abuse of power will continue to go unchecked and run rampant. The ol' boys club needs to be a thing of the past.

Archived