The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The New Realignment Plan

JJC

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

Notable changes:

• The Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets are moving to the Eastern Conference. The Winnipeg Jets are moving to the Western Conference

• This Means Detroit and Chicago are no longer in the same division.

• The top three teams in each division will make-up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference

• Every team will play each other at least twice.

• The Canucks will now play against LA and San Jose more that Colorado and Minnesota (IMO the California teams have a better rivalry with us)

realign_chart.jpg

A few thoughts:

1) The divisional 'crossover' rule for the wild card playoff seeding has a CFL feel to it which I like.

2) On the map, why are there two cube shaped sections of Division A and B which overlap? Why not just separate the divisions with a straight vertical line somewhere West of Colorado and East of Phoenix?

3) I think I'm going to get pretty sick of only being able to play CAL, EDM, PHX, SJ, LA, or ANA, for the first two rounds of the playoffs.

4) It cuts down on travel, but our division is so much stronger now.

The Florida teams got screwed, now they have the same type of travel as we always have and will have :lol:

Could them being in that area be for relocation? Though I can't see Tampa being relocated since they actually have good attendance and bright young stars, I think Florida might be going to QC. That would make more sense for that division then.

Guest Gumballthechewy

2) On the map, why are there two cube shaped sections of Division A and B which overlap? Why not just separate the divisions with a straight vertical line somewhere West of Colorado and East of Phoenix?

Yes i love it!

Now that the canucks will play everyone twice, i can see more from other teams.

Right now i only have time to follow one team (3 games a week is a lot for a husband/dad)

so this will be a great way for me to keep up to date with other teams...

When we play them, we will learn about them. current streaks, injuries, traditions... its going to be great!

I'm curious...

So the best team in the conference plays the wild card team with the fewest points.

The second best in the conference plays the wild card with more points.

Then it's second plays third in each division...

What if the first and second teams in division A are the teams with the most in the conference? And what if there are two wild cards from division B?

So who would third place in division A play?

I really like the re-alignment itself, the new divisions and the possibility of a Seattle team as mentioned above and the fact our division just got a whooole lot more exciting (obviously points will be harder to come by but maybe then we won't get into these kinds of complacency ruts), but I'm not a fan of the new playoffs structure... What are pros?

Archived