46 replies to this topic

#1 TheFastOne21

TheFastOne21

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

As the title suggests what do you all think the approved realigment for the league will do for Vancouver?

It will cut down on the crazed amount of travel this team puts in every season for one.

It will also add a good amount of better competition to our division. I like this because it will be a better measurement of our team and hopefully prepare them better come playoff time.

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

http://forum.canucks...alignment-plan/

#2 Sixteen W's

Sixteen W's

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

I like it. Playing better teams during the regular season should be good for the Canucks in the postseason.
Posted Image

#3 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

POPULAR

I like it. Playing better teams during the regular season should be good for the Canucks in the postseason.

Unless playing better teams prevents us from making the post-season.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#4 TheFastOne21

TheFastOne21

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

POPULAR

Unless playing better teams prevents us from making the post-season.

If that is the case then we never deserved to be in the post season to begin with.

Competition is good. I think the lack of competition is why we falter in the playoffs. Its easy to get into cruise mode and very hard to get out of it. The idea of having to scrap and fight our way to the post season is a good thing.

#5 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

POPULAR

I hope they resurrect the old division names:

Smythe, Norris, Adams, and Patrick

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#6 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

If that is the case then we never deserved to be in the post season to begin with.

Competition is good. I think the lack of competition is why we falter in the playoffs. Its easy to get into cruise mode and very hard to get out of it. The idea of having to scrap and fight our way to the post season is a good thing.

To some extent. Having to play desperate hockey all season can lead to more fatigue/injuries.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#7 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

I hope they resurrect the old division names:

Smythe, Norris, Adams, and Patrick

How can they not?
I Love Lamp...

#8 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

It means we can't pick on Minnesota anymore...

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#9 Truckin

Truckin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

It will make our holes that much more obvious,since it is doubtful we sit on top of the division like past years and milk it.

#10 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

It will make our holes that much more obvious,since it is doubtful we sit on top of the division like past years and milk it.

Heres one thing I don't understand is why are there so many Debbie Downing Canucks fans who have no confidence in there team? Look at what we did the past 4 years??? OF COURSE WE HAVE A CHANCE AT TAKING THE DIVISION TITLE! Of course it's harder now, as there are 7 teams instead of 5, but still! Mike gillis just needs to patch up some holes on our team, (3rd line centerman, maybe a winger) and we are pretty much fine.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#11 pdc

pdc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

I don't know with realignment I still don't think our division is all that tough.

Anaheim is having a good year this year but they will lose Perry, and you have to figure Selanne will retire at some point soon.

San Jose is only getting older.

LA sure defending cup champions but don't think they are that good this year and am skeptical about them being able to stay relevant for too long.

Phoenix is well coached and ya..

Edmonton is basically the new islanders lol. Keep giving them 1sts and noting helps haha.

Calgary you just have to mention Feaster.

I mean it's a tougher division than what we have but it's far from the toughest competition IMO. I'm not too worried we still got this.

Edited by pdc, 14 March 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#12 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

It will definitley help me to see more of their games since I live in NY and they will be playing the Devils, Islanders, and Rangers at least once every season now @ their arenas.

Edited by canucks141, 14 March 2013 - 11:53 AM.

canucks141.png

#13 nuckinoilcountry

nuckinoilcountry

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

I like it. More games within their own time zone... Look at this last road trip, fly to Columbus, then Minnesota, then back to Columbus before flying back to Vancouver. That's a lot of flying for three games and hopefully trips like that become an exception rather than the norm.

the move I don't understand is why they have TB and FLA in the with teams in the north east division. To me, it makes more sense to have them with the south eastern US teams.... and maybe even Detroit in the south east. Could move the three New York teams (New Jersey, NYI and NYR) into the north east division.

North east - Bos, Buf, Mont, NJD, NYI, NYR, Ott, Tor
South east - Car, CBJ, Det, Fla, Pitt, Phi, TB, Wash

#14 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

I like it. More games within their own time zone... Look at this last road trip, fly to Columbus, then Minnesota, then back to Columbus before flying back to Vancouver. That's a lot of flying for three games and hopefully trips like that become an exception rather than the norm.

the move I don't understand is why they have TB and FLA in the with teams in the north east division. To me, it makes more sense to have them with the south eastern US teams.... and maybe even Detroit in the south east. Could move the three New York teams (New Jersey, NYI and NYR) into the north east division.

North east - Bos, Buf, Mont, NJD, NYI, NYR, Ott, Tor
South east - Car, CBJ, Det, Fla, Pitt, Phi, TB, Wash

Why they have TB and FLA in the with teams in the north east division?

Because there are a lot of Canadians who live in Florida in the winter and still enjoy hockey.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#15 nuckinoilcountry

nuckinoilcountry

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

haha. Thanks Heretic... didn't even think of the 'snowbird' factor.

#16 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

I don't know with realignment I still don't think our division is all that tough.

Anaheim is having a good year this year but they will lose Perry, and you have to figure Selanne will retire at some point soon.

San Jose is only getting older.

LA sure defending cup champions but don't think they are that good this year and am skeptical about them being able to stay relevant for too long.

Phoenix is well coached and ya..

Edmonton is basically the new islanders lol. Keep giving them 1sts and noting helps haha.

Calgary you just have to mention Feaster.

I mean it's a tougher division than what we have but it's far from the toughest competition IMO. I'm not too worried we still got this.

I think all divisions are pretty close.
at a glance all 4 have 5 relevant playoff teams.

Van Chi Mon Pit
LA Nash Ott Phil
SJ StL Det NYR
Ana Dal Tor NJ
Phe Min Bos Car

#17 kylecanuck

kylecanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Heres one thing I don't understand is why are there so many Debbie Downing Canucks fans who have no confidence in there team? Look at what we did the past 4 years??? OF COURSE WE HAVE A CHANCE AT TAKING THE DIVISION TITLE! Of course it's harder now, as there are 7 teams instead of 5, but still! Mike gillis just needs to patch up some holes on our team, (3rd line centerman, maybe a winger) and we are pretty much fine.

I agree, people are making out like we are old news. Screaming and crying about gaping holes in our line up and terrible coach(that's kinda me). I see us being a second line playmaker C/RW and that's about it away from being great again.

We have lots of assets to trade right now that can net us big returns. These are good hockey players, they are In the NHL for a reason and are desirable to other teams.

Booth, schnieder / luongo, Ballard, Raymond, Schroeder.

If we can't get a second liner, and a top tier D man out of that then gillis is not doing his job
The children, wont someone please think of the children!!!

#18 kylecanuck

kylecanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

I think the realinment will be good, less travel and more competition. It can only mean good things going forward for the Canucks.
The children, wont someone please think of the children!!!

#19 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

I'm hoping it makes for tougher competition. It would be great if winning the division wasn't a gimmie anymore, we've likely grown a bit complacent because of that. Hopefully the guys will have to play harder to win, management will have to wake up, and it makes for entertaining hockey.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

It means we can't pick on Minnesota anymore...

Actually its been Minny thats been a pain for this team for years.

#21 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Why is it when it comes to Vancouver you guys think its a weak Division and the Canucks milk it but in years past I Find it funny that teams like Detroit in the Central and Colorado in the Northwest for years and nobody questions them for playing in a weak division, but call those teams contender.

Edited by canacks1970, 14 March 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#22 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

it means we'll play against more teams that we're actually likely to see in the playoffs

#23 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

it means we'll play against more teams that we're actually likely to see in the playoffs

The only thing I Don't like about this is the playoff format. I believe its still should be the top 8.

#24 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,780 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

Problems:

1: We lose entertaining Wings games and replace them with junk Jets games. No, the Jets aren't going to be good anytime soon, and besides the Hawks, the Wings are the only skilled team in the west that don't play some form of a trap.

2: We lose our easy way to win the crappy NW division. Although this has pros and cons. Maybe this will give is our 'for real' standings rather than our 'overrated' standings.

Possible benefits:

1: With Detroit out of the way, we have a chance at being the class of the west. Oh... Right... Chicago.

2: A bit less travel overall i'd assume. And more travel within our timezone.

Overall: Bad for the short term, but long term things will work out for the best.
Posted Image

#25 kassians_fist

kassians_fist

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

I think the sharks are going to be our biggest rivals soon. I already hate them almost as much as the Blackhawks :towel:

kassiansig2_zps8c73ed3c.jpg

#26 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Listen it's over 40 seasons of not winning in the playoffs. Some years they clawed their way in and people said, they spent themselves getting to the playoffs. Some years were last year. The bottom line is that is not the reason why we falter in the playoffs.

#27 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Actually its been Minny thats been a pain for this team for years.

Yeah I learned the hard way not too waste money buying tickets when the Wild come to town, the odds are not good.

#28 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

More Canuck fans get to have more road trips to California.

#29 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Good, then maybe MG will actually do something about them....

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#30 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

I agree, people are making out like we are old news. Screaming and crying about gaping holes in our line up and terrible coach(that's kinda me). I see us being a second line playmaker C/RW and that's about it away from being great again.

We have lots of assets to trade right now that can net us big returns. These are good hockey players, they are In the NHL for a reason and are desirable to other teams.

Booth, schnieder / luongo, Ballard, Raymond, Schroeder.

If we can't get a second liner, and a top tier D man out of that then gillis is not doing his job

Booth has one goal - an empty netter.
Ballard has no goals and one point - and he is riding the pine - can't even make the team.

The two of them have a cap hit of 8.4 million - who the hell is going to want that for 1 goal?

The only guy of your group playing at his level right now is Raymond and he is a poor man's second liner and he is an RFA.

Schroeder is a Smurf incapable of playing in the NHL - who the hell would want him?

It is already pretty evident that nobody wnats Luongo and Schneider's stock is down - the cap hit for Luongo is 5.3 mil.

Why would a team want to give up a top tier D man and take on 15 mil + in salaries for probably only one player of value - Raymond + an overpaid goalie? I think you should lay off the pot.

Edited by Ray_Cathode, 14 March 2013 - 10:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.