Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Goal Song

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
204 replies to this topic

#181 Duda

Duda

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

I've paid some attention to the last games on all three networks. SNET is usually way above TSN and CBC in terms of audio quality (for me anyway), but I still have a hard time hearing it. I know the networks are responsible for tuning down the arena volume, though it's a bit strange since I found the Clutch song to really come through previously.

Overall I think I like it, but I also agree with some others that it's not as catchy/punchy as Clutch, and perhaps less annoying to the other team compared to something like Chelsea Dagger.

#182 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Let me know if this works. here's the edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAA9mtdMRm0&feature=youtu.be

DJD
_________
@CanucksDJDave

It's great. But I think you should repeat the beginning part (0:00-0:08) so it plays through one more time, so then that would take it up to 0:00-0:16. And I feel like the bridge (2nd part) should be played less, and maybe have the guitar solo come in a bit sooner. I love that solo!!

#183 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

No no no no no no no no no
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#184 canso

canso

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

the best goal songs are so absurdly simple that a drunken child could sing along. simple, short, repetitive. no subtlety whatsoever. see Chelsea Dagger, Rock n Roll Pt. 2 (Hey!),

i think the chorus to Bro Hymn would work great, so dead simple and it's a classic sing-along, has a victorious vibe to it as well. seems so obvious to me i have to wonder if no one else is using it already...

starts 1:09

Edited by canso, 20 March 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#185 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

the best goal songs are so absurdly simple that a drunken child could sing along. simple, short, repetitive. no subtlety whatsoever. see Chelsea Dagger, Rock n Roll Pt. 2 (Hey!),

i think the chorus to Bro Hymn would work great, so dead simple and it's a classic sing-along, has a victorious vibe to it as well. seems so obvious to me i have to wonder if no one else is using it already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWrGHsMtlKo

That's not a very original goal song, though. And that's something that we want.

#186 canso

canso

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

That's not a very original goal song, though. And that's something that we want.

has it been used a lot? like i said it seems like an obvious choice, i just can't recall hearing it used. that said i don't watch that much sports besides canucks...

i guess the tricky thing with an 'original' song is that you usually end up with something that's a bit more watered-down in terms of catchiness/effectiveness. i think Electric Worry was a good compromise but the Black Keys one just doesn't have the clout. Holiday was good but a bit friendly.

i guess all the real anthems are done to death

#187 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWrGHsMtlKo

Yes, this is exactly what I've been suggesting in my previous posts on this thread. Simple, short, repetitive type stuff. Forget about taking pieces of popular songs that have a nice guitar riff or nice jingle...nobody in the crowd sings along to them or even remembers them. Heck, the Holiday goal song didn't even have any lyrics...and while it didn't compel the crowd to yell or cheer and wasn't intimidating, at least it was pretty simple.

I hadn't even considered this one, but I really like it. A LOT!!!! Similar to the Euro 2012 Seven Nation Army song I posted. Mix in the siren and you'd have a heck of a goal song. Plus I don't think any other team uses it.

DJ Dave, please consider using and let us know.

I

Edited by MJDDawg, 20 March 2013 - 01:23 PM.

4X5ed5z.gif

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#188 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

I agree with the above posts. Pennywise would be awesome!

These rock songs aren't making good horns.

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 20 March 2013 - 03:33 PM.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#189 DJ Dave

DJ Dave

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Yes, this is exactly what I've been suggesting in my previous posts on this thread. Simple, short, repetitive type stuff. Forget about taking pieces of popular songs that have a nice guitar riff or nice jingle...nobody in the crowd sings along to them or even remembers them. Heck, the Holiday goal song didn't even have any lyrics...and while it didn't compel the crowd to yell or cheer and wasn't intimidating, at least it was pretty simple.

I hadn't even considered this one, but I really like it. A LOT!!!! Similar to the Euro 2012 Seven Nation Army song I posted. Mix in the siren and you'd have a heck of a goal song. Plus I don't think any other team uses it.

DJ Dave, please consider using and let us know.
Yep - we've considered Pennywise. It might make an appearance - actually they players like it too.

stay tuned. it's RAWKIN' that's for sure...

DJD

I

#190 DJ Dave

DJ Dave

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

has it been used a lot? like i said it seems like an obvious choice, i just can't recall hearing it used. that said i don't watch that much sports besides canucks...

i guess the tricky thing with an 'original' song is that you usually end up with something that's a bit more watered-down in terms of catchiness/effectiveness. i think Electric Worry was a good compromise but the Black Keys one just doesn't have the clout. Holiday was good but a bit friendly.

i guess all the real anthems are done to death

Very well-said. it's a constant issue we face every summer. what is the NEXT BIG GOAL SONG???

I appreciate your thoughts...

DJD

#191 JRSJ

JRSJ

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

I'm reminded of this scene every time there is a discussion about what music should be played in Rogers Arena.

(BTW, new goal song is pure gold.)

#192 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I still like Electric Worry, but, Gold on the Ceiling is an awesome song too. Not a great audience participation song though. With Electric Worry, the theory was that the crowd would yell "Bang Bang Bang Bang, Vamonos Vamonos" with every goal. Didn't happen, but in terms of a goal song, that should be one of the criteria...something that the crowd can chant to cheer our boys/ or hassle the opposition...

speaking of which...IF we ever end up in a Cup Final vs the NJ Devils...the goal song should automatically change to the chorus of Shout at the Devil.

And Sidney...not everyone wants holiday back...a great number of us rightfully recognize it as suckish. The same logic used applies to Clutch, in case you haven't noticed. Alot of people think it should stay, myself included.

That said, if it must change, Gold on the Ceiling is a great tune.

And a great number of us recognize that Clutch sucks... Honestly, it's probably much more worse than Holiday because as my own personal opinion, when I went to games with Clutch as the goal song, I didn't wanna participate, rather I just sat back down because the song didn't stick. I'm a bit too attached to Holiday I agree but Holiday was more uplifting than what Clutch ever brought.

#193 howswedeitis76

howswedeitis76

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Applejuice - Many of us had the same reaction to Holiday. It had no real potential for audiences to do more than stand and politely clap.

That said, I like the simplicity of Pennywise, in terms of the ability to participate. The reason I liked Clutch so much as a goal song was that it COULD be chanted by thousands of fans very easily. It didn't happen, but the potential was certainly there. Electric Worry was better as a goal song than Holiday ever was in my opinion. Gold on the Ceiling was too, but not as good as Clutch. Bro Hymn is a crappy song overall, in my opinion, but the chorus might work very well as a goal song.

I'd be all for hearing that one experimented with, at the very least. If nothing else works, a mash-up using Pennywise and something else might be the ticket.

#194 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Applejuice - Many of us had the same reaction to Holiday. It had no real potential for audiences to do more than stand and politely clap.

That said, I like the simplicity of Pennywise, in terms of the ability to participate. The reason I liked Clutch so much as a goal song was that it COULD be chanted by thousands of fans very easily. It didn't happen, but the potential was certainly there. Electric Worry was better as a goal song than Holiday ever was in my opinion. Gold on the Ceiling was too, but not as good as Clutch. Bro Hymn is a crappy song overall, in my opinion, but the chorus might work very well as a goal song.

I'd be all for hearing that one experimented with, at the very least. If nothing else works, a mash-up using Pennywise and something else might be the ticket.

Electric Worry by Clutch is a ???? awful goal song.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 20 March 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#195 DunCanuck

DunCanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hey, Dave

Like some previous posters have mentioned, ultimately you want a song that will get into the heads of the opposing team. This would defiantly gather some buzz around the league. Give it a listen, perhaps incorporate the transition at the :50 second mark? Throw in a siren and it would be pretty epic.

Cheers,

DunCanuck

Edited by DunCanuck, 20 March 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#196 33HankandDank22

33HankandDank22

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Hey guys.

So tonight (vs. Nashville) we're going to fly a new attempt at a goal song.

Over the past almost 2 seasons, we've been using "Electric Worry" by Clutch. This song certainly is original (we're the only pro sports team using it) and it was met with some initial mixed feelings, yet has caught on rather well.

That said, and as I said back when we started playing it, it is good, but perhaps not the BE ALL AND END ALL of goal songs.

So keep your ears peeled tonight, and let me know what you think.

DJD

I like the "heys" in there to try and get the crowd invovled. I cant hear on tv if anyone is actually doing it but i think it would be a good idea to have "hey" pop up on the jumbotron when it is supposed to be shouted, at least until people start getting the hang of it.

#197 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Yep - we've considered Pennywise. It might make an appearance - actually they players like it too.

stay tuned. it's RAWKIN' that's for sure...

DJD

Thanks DJ Dave.

That sounds awesome. Can't wait. A heads up as to which game you plan on using it would be appreciated.

Edit: Was just listening to the last bit of the Hawks vs Ducks game in Anaheim tonight when the Ducks scored, and what did my ears hear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o8BnM-d4Mg

Damn!

Well, maybe the Seven Nation Army mix?? ::D

Edited by MJDDawg, 20 March 2013 - 09:37 PM.

4X5ed5z.gif

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#198 vancitya1

vancitya1

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

DJ Dave - like others before me, I think it would be epic to use some local talent for the goal song. I think it first got mentioned as an entrance song, but House That Heaven Built (Japandroids) is a great candidate for when the Nucks score. In particular, this segment (0:20ish).

http://www.youtube.c...VCtbfuDqw#t=18s

Cheers!

#199 The Magician

The Magician

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hey, Dave

Like some previous posters have mentioned, ultimately you want a song that will get into the heads of the opposing team. This would defiantly gather some buzz around the league. Give it a listen, perhaps incorporate the transition at the :50 second mark? Throw in a siren and it would be pretty epic.

Cheers,

DunCanuck

With did I just hear?

ateqx8r.jpg

#200 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

How about this? Though it may seem like it's a good goal song for us, at the same time, it'll probably end up where Clutch is now...

#201 canso

canso

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Very well-said. it's a constant issue we face every summer. what is the NEXT BIG GOAL SONG???

I appreciate your thoughts...

DJD

thanks for your reply. i'd love to hear Pennywise as our goal song as i think it's very effective, but it would seem the Ducks are using it. bummer.

i wonder if there is any similar Woah - type chorus in the Misfits catalogue that could work. i know they said Woah a lot and their stuff is catchy and anthemic, but i don't know if there's anything as good as Bro Hymn. also the recording quality is often not great on those Misfits records...

#202 Evil Eyeball

Evil Eyeball

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

DJD

Has the team ever concidered using hits by local Vancouver Area groups?

I mean I have to think that Raise A Little Hell would make a damn fine goal song

As might Armageddon

(Trooper and PRiSM Respectively)

I don't know for goal songs but just in terms of up beat stuff that gets people on their feet I've always found Doin' it right effective

Or if you want to get into the opponents head a little you could allways play Too bad

or Notorious because the Sedins are Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Notorious for putting the puck in the net.

But my best sugestion is Raise A Little Hell.

#203 CanucksFan95

CanucksFan95

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

I like the "heys" in there to try and get the crowd invovled. I cant hear on tv if anyone is actually doing it but i think it would be a good idea to have "hey" pop up on the jumbotron when it is supposed to be shouted, at least until people start getting the hang of it.

I was just going to suggest that, I know that some other teams do it. Yes, they should definitely have a "HEY" timed with the hey's in the song, plus maybe coordinate the lights to the "heys" as well so it flashes in sync? thats just what I think, but it could get the fans more into it

2lvn091.jpg
Sigs are made by me, please PM for request to use! Thx

#204 CanucksFan95

CanucksFan95

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

just incase anyone wanted to listen to the goal song again, here it is. Note that the first video is the first version of the goal mix played vs the Preds, but DJ Dave uploaded the updated version with the "bridge" part repeated more (second video). Personally I like the first version better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbuaDdY-Nks

DJ Dave's second version

Edited by CanucksFan95, 30 March 2013 - 04:13 PM.

2lvn091.jpg
Sigs are made by me, please PM for request to use! Thx

#205 howswedeitis76

howswedeitis76

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Electric Worry by Clutch is a ???? awful goal song, in my opinion.

Fixed. Your opinion is not the be all and end all. Nor is mine.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.