The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]- VAN-MTL

Montreal suddenly looks for real.  I would love to see them make a push for the post season.  However, a couple places they lack is size in the forwards and a stay at home defenseman.

To VAN- Raphael Diaz, Brian Gionta,Sebastian Collberg

To MTL- Keith Ballard, David Booth, 2013 2nd.

Why does VAN do it?  Diaz is a good cheap player who really kept Montreal's PP going while Subban was in contract negotiations.  Gionta is a play making Centre that desperately need.  Collberg is a good prospect.  With the cap going down next year and Edler signing a big contract, one of our big defensemen have to go.

Why does MTL do it?  With PK and Markov, Diaz is the odd man out for the offensive defensemen.  What they lack is a true stay at home defenseman.  Ballard fills that role.  Gionta would hurt to lose but their young gunners looking so proficient, it makes sense to move him.  In return, MTL gets what they need- a skilled big forward.  I think MTL is high on Collberg so the 2nd would sweeten the pot for them.

We can then trade one of our goaltenders (I say Schneider) for a top 6 winger and we are suddenly looking fresh and ready to make a push too.

IMO, this is a true hockey trade.

Thoughts?

Montreal suddenly looks for real. I would love to see them make a push for the post season. However, a couple places they lack is size in the forwards and a stay at home defenseman.

To VAN- Raphael Diaz, Brian Gionta,Sebastian Collberg

To MTL- Keith Ballard, David Booth, 2013 2nd.

Why does VAN do it? Diaz is a good cheap player who really kept Montreal's PP going while Subban was in contract negotiations. Gionta is a play making Centre that desperately need. Collberg is a good prospect. With the cap going down next year and Edler signing a big contract, one of our big defensemen have to go.

Why does MTL do it? With PK and Markov, Diaz is the odd man out for the offensive defensemen. What they lack is a true stay at home defenseman. Ballard fills that role. Gionta would hurt to lose but their young gunners looking so proficient, it makes sense to move him. In return, MTL gets what they need- a skilled big forward. I think MTL is high on Collberg so the 2nd would sweeten the pot for them.

We can then trade one of our goaltenders (I say Schneider) for a top 6 winger and we are suddenly looking fresh and ready to make a push too.

IMO, this is a true hockey trade.

Thoughts?

Rebuttles:

elvis- Horcoff is Edmonton's Captain and they would love to trade him. A "C" makes you a leader, not untradeable. Diaz is good value. Ballard is a stay at home defenseman- he is low risk, defensively sound and rarely makes mistakes.

squeak- I honestly feel like we lose that trade unless Collberg is involved. Also, MTL has so much young talent in the NHL that is producing, they can afford to lose Collberg.

van40- yes, Gionta is a bit soft. He is however, a leader and a productive one at that. Our depth chart at centre has taken a hit. Gionta is a legitimate #2 centre who makes everyone around him better. that is a guy I will take on my team even if he is a touch soft.

Don't think Montreal is looking to make any major shakeups atm. Although the value may be not miles off, there is absolutely no reason for MTL to do this trade at this time, maybe if they were struggling to make the playoffs in say 9th place in the East they may consider something like this.

The only reason Diaz isn't playing is that he's out with a concussion. He is far from being the odd man out. Gionta is having a good bounceback season after suffering a bad hand injury last year. Colberg is a solid prospect that Montreal stole in the last draft. The players going out have a combined 26 points and are plus 8 and a combined cap hit of $6.225m

The proposed Vancouver players coming in have a combined 3 points, are -2 and have a total cap hit of $8.45m

Tell me, what part of this trade would be attractive to Montreal?

...Horcoff is Edmonton's Captain and they would love to trade him. A "C" makes you a leader, not untradeable. Diaz is good value. Ballard is a stay at home defenseman- he is low risk, defensively sound and rarely makes mistakes.

Nope and nope. Why does no one make decent offers to the Habs anymore? :rolleyes:

Here's a Habs fan perspective:

No stay at home d-men?

What about Georges(leads NHL in total shots blocked last 2 years combined) , Emelin(#4 in hits among d-men last year) , Boullion, and Tinordi (he'll be ready by next year or the year after most likely)?

Diaz is extremely valuable to us, and has taken a HUGE step in his play from last year, Ballard would be a down grade. Gionta is 2nd on the team in goals, and he's our captain so trading him for a struggling Booth makes no sense at all. Collberg is going no where, unless we get a high pick/ good prospect back.

And lastly wayyy to much salary coming back. That's mainly the reason the Habs got rid of Cole, was to shed his 4.5 million dollar salary by the off season.

Diaz > Ballard

Gionta > Booth

Collberg > a late second round pick

As a Montreal fan, i would be more interested in only a 2013 2nd than Keith Ballard, David Booth and a 2013 2nd.

i Just think the combined salary of Booth and Ballard (8 450 000$) could be spend on greater player on the UFA market). So i would not claim then if they was on waiver, their value are negative imo.

but maybe we could work something around Kaberle and Ballard?

Archived