The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks looking at College FA Kellen Lain

He would be a great pick-up for sure! TSN says Gillis has been phoning around but obviously the market is quiet. Guys like Kellan Lain and the more notable Adrej Sustr would amazing alternatives if the market remains the same.

Andrej Sustr # - D

• DOB: 1990/11/29

• POB: Plzen, Czech. (CZE)

• Height: 6-8 Weight: 218lbs

• Shoots: R

• NHL Seasons: 0

My posts from the College/Major Junior thread:

The player the Canucks had had interest in earlier this year is Antoine Laganiere, a RW from Yale. Gillis had gone by to see one of his games (along with one of our current prospects, Matt Beattie) on the trip where he was spotted watching the Capitals game.

Here's DeKeyser, who I think we'd be hard pressed to get (and don't have room for anyway):

Kellan Lain I don't know much about (and can't find much on him beyond stats), but perhaps another guy they got a chance to see on their scouting trip. 6'6", 220+lbs, 16 points and 110 penalty minutes in 32 games in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association. From his sophomore year last season:

Read the bio on that 6'8 Andrej sustr guy over in the college free agent thread in general hockey.

Kid sounds like an awesome project.. I remember when Zdeno Chara came to Prince George he literally couldn't even skate backwards at first but he was huge and they basically taught him everything else.. My buddies used to get to practice against him when they played rep hockey and he was on the cougars. They said he was a complete pylon they could blow by wide with no speed super easy lol now he's the best dman in the NHL.. Doubt he becomes chara but his bio makes his sound like a project with astronomical upside if you can get a 6'8 kid up to NHL speed.

Read the bio on that 6'8 Andrej sustr guy over in the college free agent thread in general hockey.

Kid sounds like an awesome project.. I remember when Zdeno Chara came to Prince George he literally couldn't even skate backwards at first but he was huge and they basically taught him everything else.. My buddies used to get to practice against him when they played rep hockey and he was on the cougars. They said he was a complete pylon they could blow by wide with no speed super easy lol now he's the best dman in the NHL.. Doubt he becomes chara but his bio makes his sound like a project with astronomical upside if you can get a 6'8 kid up to NHL speed.

True.

But every team does have a 50 contract limit. If you go after FA guys from the CCHA, which is not the greatest quality of competition, then you have one less spot for another player.

It only really makes sense if you have a weak system and think this is the best option you can find. On a 1 year deal it's not that big of a risk, granted, but I'm not sure our Eastern collegiate amateur scout has been right much recently. Tanev was good but I'm not sure if they started noticing him in Rochester or not.

It might make sense for the Canucks if we want to jettison some of the guys we already have under contract. The only other option is to invite them to the prospects camp and then make a decision, or try and get them to sign a contract with the Wolves while we evaluate them.

Archived