The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Aggressively Pursuing Trade (Interested in Steve Ott & Derek Roy)

Those guys aren't 4th line players, especially Booth. He is playing very well he has just been snake bitten. It happens. Without the injury last year he would have been a 20 goal scorer, and I don't know in whos world 20 goals isn't secondary production. Raymond has also regained form, and Jannik Hansen has proven himself as a viable secondary scorer it seems.

And even the Penguins only have 3 offensive threats.

Even looking at what it takes to win, the trend is defense, not offense.

Look at last year, all the offensive teams were out early. Young have to be able to play defense, and to be big and fore-check. We have made steps to get those players, Booth was a great add, Kassian was also a nice add, Garrison was a nice add, but we need to add a 3rd line center.

Lets say we get Goc or Bozak, they will be respresented by X

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian/Higgins

Raymond - X - Hansen

Even with this we have alot of options.

- The Amex line played very well together, they are a 2nd line option.

- Kassian and Booth are playing very well together, they are a 2nd line option, if you throw Kesler in the middle

- Kassian has proven he can play with the twins, then Burrows and Kesler have chemistry

- Raymond and Kesler have played well together in the past

- Hansen has evolved and can play on the 2nd or 3rd line and be a legitimate threat.

We need a center first and foremost. Cause we could bring in a top 6 forward, say Roy. And he could struggle, then what? Is he bad too? Remember Booth was a top 6 forward (I still think he is) not he isn't good enough.

So what is to say that top 6 forward will be good enough, and who is available? Whats the price tag?

These are all things we must consider.

There is a reason we got Booth for Samuelsson/Sturm. He just wasn't that great. Yes, Florida wanted to dump his cap-hit. But why? He just wasn't that great, and still isn't that great. Would be an EXCELLENT 3rd liner, let alone 4th. He can probably play in the top 6 instead of Raymond, but you don't want MayRay on the 4th line. We all know Booth/Kesler styles don't fit. AMEX had a good run for 2 weeks, that's it.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Raymond-Kesler-Jagr

Higgins-Goc-Hansen

Booth-Lapierre-Kassian

Stanley cup contenders.

I doubt Buffalo gives up Ott anyays.

You can't have it both ways. We either go for it by trading some prospects/picks, or we admit this teams window is closed and start planning for the future.

I for one don't believe this teams window is closed, and think we need to go for it. You gotta take that leap of faith though.

I think it would be pretty sad if we never loaded up with the core we have, and always wondered what if we had just one more impact player?

Raymond + Schroeder + 2nd + mid-level prospect for Roy + Morrow

Canucks get the center they need + a perfect mentor for Kassian who probably has at least one good post season left in him.

Dallas gets two future pieces who already did show some chemistry together.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Morrow - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Roy - Hansen

Pinizzotto - Lapierre - Kassian

Weise, Sestito

Roy = saviour for 2nd PP unit?

Trade one of the goalies for future pieces in the summer and the Canucks won't miss a beat.

It's not like he sits on his hands and waits for his next radio interview. What do people think he does all day?

We could certainly make use of Ott's faceoff and hitting ability, as well as the points he brings. He's not all that good a possession player mind you, but plays against super tough opposition. Would it be better use of out cap space to go after him for 3C or aim for a 2nd line playmaker?

I think I'd rather have Vermette for the extra 750k. Vermette may not hit as much as Ott, but he's as good or better in the faceoff circle, has more upside imo, doesn't stir as much shat, and is a hardworking two way kind of player who I think would be a good fit to play with Higgins and Hansen. Ott's underlying numbers are pretty unimpressive, and something about the guy just screams warning signs to me. Haven't really caught the Ott bug.

I think I'd rather have Vermette for the extra 750k. Vermette may not hit as much as Ott, but he's as good or better in the faceoff circle, has more upside imo, doesn't stir as much shat, and is a hardworking two way kind of player who I think would be a good fit to play with Higgins and Hansen. Ott's underlying numbers are pretty unimpressive, and something about the guy just screams warning signs to me. Haven't really caught the Ott bug.

Archived