The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Aggressively Pursuing Trade (Interested in Steve Ott & Derek Roy)

I don't think we would have to give up Schroeder for Roy.

People underrat Schroeder's value.

Would NYR give up Kreider for Roy? No.

Would WSH give up Johansson for Roy? I doubt it aswell.

If Roy is available for a decent price I would jump on it.

I would be willing to maybe do 2nd, or Connaution + 3rd for sure.

But definetly not the 1st or any top prospects.

So it's rumoured that Gillis is targetting Ribeiro, Ott, and now Roy - these are very different players, though all fill a void at C. Ott's a banger, great for the playoffs, Ribeiro and Roy play a finesse game, and have ugly cap hits to go along with it. I'd prefer that Gillis target a certain type of player, rather than try to play the field for whatever is available. At this point, I'm not comfortable with him shopping prospects for rentals, or trading away picks of what is to be a very deep draft. If we're taking back a Ribeiro/Roy cap hit, one has to figure a roster player is going the other way, preferably a Booth or Ballard.

I wouldn't get too excited about a trade with Buffalo. They gave up Roy to get Ott, which should indicate that they really like him, as well as last year's deadline wherein they got a 1st and a 4th for Paul effing Gaustad - which should indicate that they drive a hard bargain. The same could be said of Dallas, who gave up a fan favourite for 1 year of Roy.

What we can say for Gillis, is he's targeting guaranteed sellers, and looking for help at C. Whether that help be for a gritty centre, or a playmaker remains to be seen. I personally, would prefer the latter.

The market value for players really hasn't proven to be great so far this year.

What would you guys have expected Simon Gagne to go for? I bet more than a 4th. Same goes with Keaton Ellerby and Andrei Loktionov, both who went for the measly price of a 5th rounder.

And Alexei Ponikarovsky, I was kinda surprised all the Jets got in return was a 4th and a 7th.

Derek Roy is a player demanding big money, there isn't a way we will be able to keep him around past this year. So what are we going to give up for 12 games for Derek Roy. And whatever we go on in the playoffs?

Is that worth Jordan Schroeder and a 2nd round pick which will also be a good prospect? I don't think so.

Ott is exactly what this team wants. Buffalo is STACKED at center and quite honestly don't have room for all these new young centers. Ennis, Grigorenko and Hodgson are all potential top-6 centers, and they also have Hecht in there for the 4th line.

What they desperately need is a new goalie (Miller's been brutal) or a new veteran defenceman (Reger has been pretty average too).

I'd do Ballard and a 3rd rounder for Ott. If Buffalo are sellers then we might even be able to get him for a 2nd round pick straight up and not lose a player. Of course a bigger package is possible, involving Schneider (they're a young team they need a young goalie to build around) and maybe some of their veterans.

We've got a rapport with Buffalo after the Kassian trade, I'd love to keep going back to this well as opposed to Florida. Buffalo have some really underated, nice players there.

Buffalo should be sellers after this horrible season.

Gagne was had for a 4th round pick.

Gaustad was taken for a 1st rounder.

There really are no rules with picks-for-players, but Ott would be worth a 2nd rounder. Throw ours away straight up for Ott, let Buffalo build around their young core of Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko and Myers with their picks and let us go for the Cup this season.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Hansen

Higgins - Ott - Booth

Kassian - Lapierre - Pinizotto

Weise

Ebbett

Fantastic depth, we now have 5 NHL centers in our lineup and 4 deadly lines.

The Canucks don't need a "checking" centre for the 3rd line as defense has never been an issue, it's offense.

They either need a 2-way centre like a RJ Umberger who can interchange with Kesler or can be used to load up a top-6 corp.... if not, some Norris caliber defenseman (very unlikely).

We don't have a 3rd line center

we have two 1st line centers, a 4th line center and depth players.

Thats what we need.

And moving Kesler two wing would be dumb, he is elite defensively and we need what he brings defensively down the middle since center is a much more defensive position than Wing.

How is it questionable?

And I am pretty sure Mason Raymond is playing like a top 6 forward this season. And Burrows would be a 2nd liner without the twins aswell.

What we need is a 3rd line center than can bring a really good defensively game & is good on draws, offense would be great too but not top priority IMO. someone like Bozak would be perfect, or Goc would also be very nice.

Also, like those teams we have 4 good offensive players. But unlike those teams, we don't have a good two-way 3rd line center (Bolland, Peverly, Sutter, Koivu)

Archived