The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Aggressively Pursuing Trade (Interested in Steve Ott & Derek Roy)

As for the whole Derek Roy suggestion, that is all Blob MacKenzie. So sick of that guy always trying to drum-up/create rumours. Would give my left nut to see that guy try actually be a GM of a hockey team. The other guy I get sick of is Kypreos. Guys is such a plug homer for Toronto and Rangers. Literally every rumour of any player.... " Oh, he is headed east to a team like Toronto or new York...." . I cringe whenever i see a player laying on the ice in bad condition, but Kypreos' day is blown up and on my wall with about 6 darts in it.

Exactly.

I would be fine with sucking the next 5 years as long as I could rest on the fact that management did everything they could to make this team a winner.

I know there's no guarantees, but if we add at least one more impact player, we give ourselves a much better chance. And that's all you need in the playoffs is a chance.

Roy can put the puck in the net (or at least he can help his line mates putting the puck in the net) . He was borderline 1st line centre when he was younger, though the big contract he signed along with a couple of serious injuries changed him. He is second on his team in assists with 12, that's good for 3rd on our team. Leads the Stars with +6 and 3rd among forwards with ice time at 19:18 ATOI. So really he is 2nd line material. With him on our team, I have no reservation at all putting Kesler on 3C. With the Hank Kes and Roy playing 19 mins per game meaning we only have to play our 4th for 3 minutes (we can use them more if we want of course) and can surely expect positive +'s (or positive Corsi though I haven't checked advance stats) over the long run.

Ott is perfect 3rd liner, but I like Roy's offensive potential, and doesn't look like Buffalo wants to part ways with Ott. If anything happen to Kesler again, with Roy, it's not the end of the world.

With Kesler's injuries we have enough cap room for Roy at the deadline I believe (though I'm not an expert with cap info).

I think I'd rather have Vermette for the extra 750k. Vermette may not hit as much as Ott, but he's as good or better in the faceoff circle, has more upside imo, doesn't stir as much shat, and is a hardworking two way kind of player who I think would be a good fit to play with Higgins and Hansen. Ott's underlying numbers are pretty unimpressive, and something about the guy just screams warning signs to me. Haven't really caught the Ott bug.

Buffalo should be sellers after this horrible season.

Gagne was had for a 4th round pick.

Gaustad was taken for a 1st rounder.

There really are no rules with picks-for-players, but Ott would be worth a 2nd rounder. Throw ours away straight up for Ott, let Buffalo build around their young core of Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko and Myers with their picks and let us go for the Cup this season.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Hansen

Higgins - Ott - Booth

Kassian - Lapierre - Pinizotto

Weise

Ebbett

Fantastic depth, we now have 5 NHL centers in our lineup and 4 deadly lines.

Ott for a 2nd rounder? LOL. You know Ott regularly plays wing on the Sabres right? He's only centre on the powerplay. He's worth a hell of a lot more than just a draft pick. He's solid offensively, defensively, can win faceoffs, play all three forward positions, is one of the best pests in the league, a phenomenal leader and he brings it every night. No way he goes for just a 2nd rounder. If Ott gets traded to Vancouver, it's going to have to involve someone like Cory Schneider.

I see Dallas as a cost cutting team. Remember that they picked up Nystrom last year just to reach the floor?

Roy's cap hit is less than his salary, something they probably are not crazy about. I'd bet ownership would not mind seeing him go and bringing in someone whose cap hit either matches the salary or is more than the salary. They acquired Cole from Montreal who is paid $4M but has a cap hit of $4.5M.

The Stars also have Wandell sitting in the minors on a one way deal that they would probably like to move.

With the financial angle in play, the cost might not be as high as people think if we took Roy and Wandell back.

Ballard might actually be attractive to the Stars. They lack veterans on defense. His cap hit is slightly more than Roy, but his salary is less. Throw in a mid round pick and you might have a deal.

Ott for a 2nd rounder? LOL. You know Ott regularly plays wing on the Sabres right? He's only centre on the powerplay. He's worth a hell of a lot more than just a draft pick. He's solid offensively, defensively, can win faceoffs, play all three forward positions, is one of the best pests in the league, a phenomenal leader and he brings it every night. No way he goes for just a 2nd rounder. If Ott gets traded to Vancouver, it's going to have to involve someone like Cory Schneider.

The market value for players really hasn't proven to be great so far this year.

What would you guys have expected Simon Gagne to go for? I bet more than a 4th. Same goes with Keaton Ellerby and Andrei Loktionov, both who went for the measly price of a 5th rounder.

And Alexei Ponikarovsky, I was kinda surprised all the Jets got in return was a 4th and a 7th.

Derek Roy is a player demanding big money, there isn't a way we will be able to keep him around past this year. So what are we going to give up for 12 games for Derek Roy. And whatever we go on in the playoffs?

Is that worth Jordan Schroeder and a 2nd round pick which will also be a good prospect? I don't think so.

His value is about where Cody Hodgsons was in 10/11, or where Cody Eakin's was last year maybe. Next season his value will rise more, and he will be a top 9 contributor, and Derek Roy will be on another team. Likely without a cup cause I don't think he is the player that is going to up us over the top.

His value is better than most think, people here are just so used to throwing him in trade proposals and calling him a bust that it has resinated yet with alot of people that he actually has gotten better and has developed and this is the stage in his career where he is just about to have a spike in development if things go right now that he is able to play at this level.

The market value for players really hasn't proven to be great so far this year.

What would you guys have expected Simon Gagne to go for? I bet more than a 4th. Same goes with Keaton Ellerby and Andrei Loktionov, both who went for the measly price of a 5th rounder.

And Alexei Ponikarovsky, I was kinda surprised all the Jets got in return was a 4th and a 7th.

Derek Roy is a player demanding big money, there isn't a way we will be able to keep him around past this year. So what are we going to give up for 12 games for Derek Roy. And whatever we go on in the playoffs?

Is that worth Jordan Schroeder and a 2nd round pick which will also be a good prospect? I don't think so.

Archived