The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dan Russel not re-signed by CKNW

canuckbeliever

YES!!!! Finally he's done. This guy blocked me on Twitter cause he couldn't handle the truth, and then Jason Botchford owned him on Twitter the night the lockout ended, the two have gone at it before. I hate him, he never compliments the Canucks, almost like he's sour still that the Canucks left his sorry ass for Team 1040, and that he never got the play by play position for the Canucks either, thankgod! Have you heard this clown do a WHL game? He is so horrible! Haha this is awesome news

not sad to see him go, probably helped contribute to the canucks going to T1040, not good to constantly rag on the hand that feeds you. even if it was truthful at times.

hopefully blake price is next and is re-assigned somewhere other than the postgame show, makes me sick to hear that guy after a canucks loss. You can pretty much hear him grinning through the radio as he tries to stir up controversies.

Also will note, from what I know/have read CKNW has had a steady decline in listenership over the past 3-4 years. So getting rid of Russell may easily have been a money play as one can only assume the guys make quite a bit seeing as he has been around for over 25 years. It could also just be a shakeup by the executives at NW to tell there radio hosts its time to start doing something or else you will be gone. That in my opinion makes less sense though as Sportstalk has done pretty well in terms of ratings.

A third option is that NW execs are being dumb again. They fired sports direction Jim Mullin 2011 who imo did an astounding job because he covered the chilliwack bruins moving to victory story and pegged it on Burke and other owners who essentially had decided long before that they were going to move the team. Burkes lawyers sent CKNW a letter and Mullin was fired though Mullin was right on with his commentary.A lot of people have questioned what the heck CKNW executives are doing and this maybe just a part of a long list of questionable decisions

not sad to see him go, probably helped contribute to the canucks going to T1040, not good to constantly rag on the hand that feeds you. even if it was truthful at times.

hopefully blake price is next and is re-assigned somewhere other than the postgame show, makes me sick to hear that guy after a canucks loss. You can pretty much hear him grinning through the radio as he tries to stir up controversies.

I used to listen to Dan Russel all the time when he was pretty much the only sports station in town. It does seem that he got more and more negative as the years went by.

That being said, I wish he was able to leave on his own term, since he's been somewhat of a institution in local media.

I haven't listened to NW much since the advent of 1040 Team, and not at all to Russell since the days of Don Taylor's Sports Grill on NW. Used to love The Sports Zone with Bob Mojo on 1040 back in the late 90's when it was an easy listening station too.

If this means Pratt is back with an evening radio show I for one will be delighted.

I used to listen to Dan Russel all the time when he was pretty much the only sports station in town. It does seem that he got more and more negative as the years went by.

That being said, I wish he was able to leave on his own term, since he's been somewhat of a institution in local media.

So is this actually confirmed? Is Dan Russel really finished? I sure hope not, personally I always enjoy what he has to say. Sure he may not always be the most positive guy towards the Canucks but I honestly believe he is a fan of them. Some people can simply be too bitter when they care too much.

1040 AM is alright but late in the evening when they sometimes go to that awful unlistenable Fox sports radio, it's nice to know that Dan's show is still on until midnight discussing things relevant to the Vancouver sports scene. I for one couldn't care less about college triple-A basketball in Alabama or whatever horsesh*t they talk about on Fox after midnight.

Per Jim Mullins twitter

Like or hate Russel (I am in the middle because his pessimism towards the Canucks was often too high but he did give them credit where it was due and 85% of his criticisms were fair and right which is a breath of fresh air considering how many people just wave the pom poms in the media) he had a show that was the longest running sports talk show in Canada in "Sportstalk".

I am not an old timer but a lot of people such as my family members always associate sports talk shows with Dan Russel because they have seen Russel host a show for over a quarter century now. He has been the one constant in BC sports media and if this is the end for him (I hope it isnt) then that sucks. I really think the guy is educated on sports and he is by far the best sports radio show host in BC. Id take Russel over the Blake Prices and Barry Mcdonalds/ Don Taylors of the world any day.

Its a sad day for sports radio and goes to show the lack of competence that CKNW has.

Sorry to see you go Dan. We are going to miss your nasally voice, your solid takes and the outdated (yet classic) Sports Talk theme music. I haven't listened to Dan in years but he was surely a radio sports talk staple in Vancouver. Used to listen to Dan after games in my minor hockey days.

Any remember the (late) Pauser?

Good buy!

I used to listen but for the last few years he has become un listenable. His actions during the lockout were disgusting. Attacking random hockey reporters for nothing on twitter. And he would regularly insult his own guests.

Archived