The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Desharnais Contract Extension

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

The Montreal Canadiens on Friday signed center David Desharnais to a 4-year, $14 million contract extension, the team announced.

The 5-foot-7, 177-pound Desharnais has eight goals and 16 points in 27 games for the Eastern Conference-leading Canadiens this season. He was in the final year of a two-year contract.

Desharnais has scored 32 goals and 99 points in 157 regular season games spanning three full seasons with the Canadiens. He first signed with Montreal as a free agent on Nov. 5, 2008.

I like it, 3.5 million is a good price for him.

I thought they might go a different direction given they also have Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Eller as top-9 centres, as well as LeBlanc and Bournival in the system. But as a Canucks fan I suppose I should appreciate you want depth at that position. 3.5M is pretty good value for a guy who'll likely be good for 50 points per season through that contract.

Love to see Bergevin taking care of business. Not like Gainey and Gauther who had the stupid "no negotiations durning the season" rule. I assume we'll see Subban signed to an extension well before his current contract is up as well. Hopefully before they have to pay him for his eventual Norris win lol

Archived