The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A 3rd Line That Could Lead us to a Deep Run

RyanKeslord17

Matthias is a very mediocre NHL hockey player. If you dig into all of his stats he is slightly below average in every single area. He is playing well right now (6 points his last 8 games, +5) but if you take out the recent stretch he had 4 points in 20 games and -1. He averages around 25 points over an 82 game season, he is a sub 50% faceoff guy, he was 14th on the Panthers in hits (and 10th in minutes), plays a 3rd unit pk role (1 minute per game) and even less on the PP (0:35). In his advanced stats he is also nothing better than average.

I would compare him a bit to Taylor Pyatt. Pyatt has averaged 28 points per season and isn't an overly physical player for his size, although Pyatt had 137 hits last year (compared to Matthias 60).

So unless you don't mind another Taylor Pyatt Matthias is nothing to get excited about.

After watching Booth and Kassian play together these last few games, it looks to me as if we have an awesome 3rd line in the making. Booth and Kassian are both big, tough guys that are very hard to move the puck off of. Exactly the type of players we need in the playoffs. It is also eerily similar to LA's 3rd line in last years post season:

Penner-Stoll-King

If we get an addition like Shawn Matthias in a Luongo trade or a player similar to that, our 3rd line could be Booth-Matthias-Kassian. Very big and strong 3rd line with some good skill as well.

I know Booth was initially brought in here to be a second line scorer, but it's obvious to me that he and Kesler don't gel, and Booth makes a great fit with Kassian. Also, with Pinnizotto looking great with Lapierre, we just might have a cup contending bottom 6. I think we should keep Booth, maybe even if its for just this year, but IMO, he could help us for a deep run.

While Kess has been injured Booth/Kass has been playing a lot in defensive assignments; often against big lines.

I think AV's just setting them up to play with Kesler when he returns. Its an awful lot of speed and size! Could not help but draw all the bigger match up's in return, which should shelter the Twins from big match ups; a desirable spin off effect?

In the meantime at least they're getting some chemistry...

OP, I'm sold on your idea. Even so that I would like him over Goc.

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian/Higgins

Raymond - Mattias - Hansen

Sestito - Lappierre - Pinnizzotto/Weise

I like that, very much so.

Yea lets trade luongo for Mathias, so we can miss the playoffs and get a lottery pick -_____-

Archived