34 replies to this topic

#1 Canuckler87

Canuckler87

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Recently, Brian Burke made a comment at an event that went something along the lines of "sometimes you do the work, and somebody else gets the credit". While no doubt he could've been referring to Nonis.. could this not apply to Gillis as well? I like Gillis as a GM, and im certainly not saying he's a bad one. But im curious to know why Brian Burke doesn't get the same type of respect around here.

Many of the top players from the 2011 cup run; the Sedins, Kesler, Edler & Bieksa (not to mention guys like Schneider & Hansen) were drafted by Burke. Not to mention we had some great years under him during the time of the West Coast Express. That was coming out of the disastrous last couple years of the 90's where we had messier.

Now Toronto is having a bit of success after Brian Burke has left. But it's fair to say that the team was built by him. My question is why is Burke often portrayed in a negative light by some fans & media? Was it because of his outspoken nature? .. (He had a couple gems here like when announcing the Bure trade after Pavel asked out he said "Im very PLEASEDD to announce that Pavel bure has been dealt.) .. if you guys find more of these outbursts during his time here, please post them in this thread! It'd be a good laugh

#2 Burlinbert

Burlinbert

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

can i have some cake 2

Posted Image

Edited by Burlinbert, 15 March 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#3 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Kessel trade really screwed em. Toronto could have Seguin and Hamilton right now if im not mistaken.

#4 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,276 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Recently, Brian Burke made a comment at an event that went something along the lines of "sometimes you do the work, and somebody else gets the credit". While no doubt he could've been referring to Nonis.. could this not apply to Gillis as well? I like Gillis as a GM, and im certainly not saying he's a bad one. But im curious to know why Brian Burke doesn't get the same type of respect around here.

Many of the top players from the 2011 cup run; the Sedins, Kesler, Edler & Bieksa (not to mention guys like Schneider & Hansen) were drafted by Burke. Not to mention we had some great years under him during the time of the West Coast Express. That was coming out of the disastrous last couple years of the 90's where we had messier.

Now Toronto is having a bit of success after Brian Burke has left. But it's fair to say that the team was built by him. My question is why is Burke often portrayed in a negative light by some fans & media? Was it because of his outspoken nature? .. (He had a couple gems here like when announcing the Bure trade after Pavel asked out he said "Im very PLEASEDD to announce that Pavel bure has been dealt.) .. if you guys find more of these outbursts during his time here, please post them in this thread! It'd be a good laugh

The Kessel trade.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#5 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,250 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

POPULAR

Sounds like when Burkie took over the Ducks...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#6 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Burke was abrasive and not a good "front man" for the image the new owners want.

In addition, he tied his horse to the coach WIlson wagon for too long and that likely cost him with the new owners as well.

Maybe a lesson in there for MG :bigblush:

#7 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

The main reason why people dislike him is because he is annoying and is obsessed with running his mouth and being in the spotlight.

#8 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Kessel trade really screwed em. Toronto could have Seguin and Hamilton right now if im not mistaken.

Yes, you are right. But Kessel has been the one highlight of that team since he came over.

They did get Boston back though. Gave them Kaberle for Colborne and a first which turned out to be Tyler Biggs. These players look pretty good.
Posted Image

#9 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,924 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

I don't have a big problem with the guy, but...

Question: Can Burke ever just shut the hell up?
Posted Image

#10 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

He's hated because he's an egotistical jerk who phones people's bosses to have them fired if he doesn't like what their saying.
Posted Image

#11 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

Amazing how there's already so much hate in this thread for BB.

He's a great GM. He's had one bad trade and many good ones. People just can't let it go even though he's made 3 NHL teams a lot better.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#12 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,731 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:08 PM

I don't think his hockey sense is ever really questioned too much and it's more his stubbornness and brash nature. He's really outspoken and holds no punches, which doesn't always translate well. But I think anyone who knows anything about hockey really pays him his dues with regard to his leadership and overall knowledge of the game.

I'll always give props to him and the way he handled his son's situation really escalated my respect for him as a person as well as a hockey guy. But, as part of the ol'gentleman's club, the whole power thing comes into play in a bit of a Donald Trump way.

Posted Image

#13 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

is he talking about himself when he was with the Ducks?

it has something to do with managing the team other than giving out contracts when it comes to winning in the NHL. This is the second time Nonis took over a team from Burke and this is the second time he turns the team around with the same core who failed when Burke was managing the team. I think Nonis should have more credit than "I did the work but he eats the cake."

same as Gillis.

#14 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

The trade made sense at the time. ANY GM in the league would have made that deal if they were in Burke's position
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#15 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

The trade made sense at the time. ANY GM in the league would have made that deal if they were in Burke's position

It was considered a foolish trade at the time it was made too. It would have made a lot more sense if Burkie aquired a playmaker to accomodate Kessel. I guess he must have been happy with Stajan.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 15 March 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#16 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,007 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Sounds like when Burkie took over the Ducks...

Actually Burke doesn't get enough credit for the Ducks cup. He cleaned house there. Yes a couple of guys were in the system when he took over but every GM inherits pieces. He replaced the entire D on that team, the entire top line and 7 of the top nine forwards in total. I'd say that makes the team his doing.
Posted Image

#17 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

Honestly, you can look at any GM and say they inherited a good player from a previous GM's draft pick or trade. When Burke joined he got Naslund and Bertuzzi from Pat Quinn.

#18 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Personality and Politics, Burkie wasn't great at either

#19 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,105 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

:picard:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#20 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

no, not really. The trade didn't make sense now and it didn't make sense back then. You just don't trade away first round picks like this for a player like Kessel.

Not only the trade looks bad for Burke, but it also put a lot of unnecessary pressure on Kessel too.

Edited by Piggy1983, 15 March 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#21 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

no, not really. The trade didn't make sense now and it didn't make sense back then. You just don't trade away first round picks like this for a player like Kessel.

Not only the trade looks bad for Burke, but it also put a lot of unnecessary pressure on Kessel too.

Kessel was a guaranteed first liner and for the most part lived up to the hype.

He assumed the two picks would be 14-30th when he traded them.
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#22 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Kessel was a guaranteed first liner and for the most part lived up to the hype.

He assumed the two picks would be 14-30th when he traded them.

it was 2 first round pick from 2010 and 2011 and a second round pick in 2010. Even if it's a 14-30th pick, it's still a huge overpayment for a guy like Kessel.

He's an one dimension player with little upside other than scoring. You DON'T build the team around a player like that at the cost of giving up 2 first round and 1 second round pick.

#23 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

burke did some great stuff for this team

but hes way to much of a hardass ,
Posted Image

#24 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

This is such an old argument. How long ago was Burke here? MG was smart enough to develop what he had. You can't fault him for that.
Arguably Burke has made far more mistakes in the same time while not being in Vancouver. What about his Stanley Cup, wasn't that some one else's cake? Leaving Anaheim was not a great choice for Burke, greed and ego fueled that choice.
Burke is a jerk! Toronto got tired of it and fired him. Same guy same channel that was here.

Ask Chilliwack how they feel about Burke and his word? I'm glad Burke is no where to be heard.

#25 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Beating a dead horse, move on.

#26 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Even while leaving Toronto he saw no fault in his character.

#27 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Honestly, you can look at any GM and say they inherited a good player from a previous GM's draft pick or trade. When Burke joined he got Naslund and Bertuzzi from Pat Quinn.

He got Bertuzzi from Keenan.
Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

#28 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

it was funny when burke took the canuck's job..keenan was the coach and he told burke...you know i have a say in all trades.....burke said yes, and you know i can fire you...which he did.i disliked burke after awhile, but i hated keenan...

#29 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

He got Bertuzzi from Keenan.

Yup your right. My memory sucks.

#30 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

it was funny when burke took the canuck's job..keenan was the coach and he told burke...you know i have a say in all trades.....burke said yes, and you know i can fire you...which he did.i disliked burke after awhile, but i hated keenan...

I'll use one of Burke's quotes to describe the both of them, "SCUMBAGS".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.