The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MG eating someone else's cake?

Canuckler87

Recently, Brian Burke made a comment at an event that went something along the lines of "sometimes you do the work, and somebody else gets the credit". While no doubt he could've been referring to Nonis.. could this not apply to Gillis as well? I like Gillis as a GM, and im certainly not saying he's a bad one. But im curious to know why Brian Burke doesn't get the same type of respect around here.

Many of the top players from the 2011 cup run; the Sedins, Kesler, Edler & Bieksa (not to mention guys like Schneider & Hansen) were drafted by Burke. Not to mention we had some great years under him during the time of the West Coast Express. That was coming out of the disastrous last couple years of the 90's where we had messier.

Now Toronto is having a bit of success after Brian Burke has left. But it's fair to say that the team was built by him. My question is why is Burke often portrayed in a negative light by some fans & media? Was it because of his outspoken nature? .. (He had a couple gems here like when announcing the Bure trade after Pavel asked out he said "Im very PLEASEDD to announce that Pavel bure has been dealt.) .. if you guys find more of these outbursts during his time here, please post them in this thread! It'd be a good laugh

Recently, Brian Burke made a comment at an event that went something along the lines of "sometimes you do the work, and somebody else gets the credit". While no doubt he could've been referring to Nonis.. could this not apply to Gillis as well? I like Gillis as a GM, and im certainly not saying he's a bad one. But im curious to know why Brian Burke doesn't get the same type of respect around here.

Many of the top players from the 2011 cup run; the Sedins, Kesler, Edler & Bieksa (not to mention guys like Schneider & Hansen) were drafted by Burke. Not to mention we had some great years under him during the time of the West Coast Express. That was coming out of the disastrous last couple years of the 90's where we had messier.

Now Toronto is having a bit of success after Brian Burke has left. But it's fair to say that the team was built by him. My question is why is Burke often portrayed in a negative light by some fans & media? Was it because of his outspoken nature? .. (He had a couple gems here like when announcing the Bure trade after Pavel asked out he said "Im very PLEASEDD to announce that Pavel bure has been dealt.) .. if you guys find more of these outbursts during his time here, please post them in this thread! It'd be a good laugh

Burke was abrasive and not a good "front man" for the image the new owners want.

In addition, he tied his horse to the coach WIlson wagon for too long and that likely cost him with the new owners as well.

Maybe a lesson in there for MG :bigblush:

I don't think his hockey sense is ever really questioned too much and it's more his stubbornness and brash nature. He's really outspoken and holds no punches, which doesn't always translate well. But I think anyone who knows anything about hockey really pays him his dues with regard to his leadership and overall knowledge of the game.

I'll always give props to him and the way he handled his son's situation really escalated my respect for him as a person as well as a hockey guy. But, as part of the ol'gentleman's club, the whole power thing comes into play in a bit of a Donald Trump way.

is he talking about himself when he was with the Ducks?

it has something to do with managing the team other than giving out contracts when it comes to winning in the NHL. This is the second time Nonis took over a team from Burke and this is the second time he turns the team around with the same core who failed when Burke was managing the team. I think Nonis should have more credit than "I did the work but he eats the cake."

same as Gillis.

Archived