31 replies to this topic

#1 Canucks9

Canucks9

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Is it just me or does it not make sense that when Ballard plays, he has around 16/17 minutes of icetime, but when Alberts plays, he plays only 11/12 minutes a game (prior to last game).

Why does AV gas our other dmen, with playing Alberts, when he can play Ballard and rest some of our other dmen?

#2 CCF4E

CCF4E

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

AV logic.
Posted Image

Ehrhoff isn't from europe....

#3 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

POPULAR

Alberts is already slow. AV probably figures a tired Alberts will be dangerously slow.

HpkJUPw.jpg

Credit to KingAlex for the sig. R.I.P.

#4 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Every time I see a 'versus' thread, I think it's because they got in a fight.

:lol:
Posted Image

#5 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Is it just me or does it not make sense that when Ballard plays, he has around 16/17 minutes of icetime, but when Alberts plays, he plays only 11/12 minutes a game (prior to last game).

Why is AV dumb enough to gas our other dmen, with playing Alberts, when he can play Ballard and rest some of our other dmen?

If you look at TOI around the league, you'll see that many teams have much more imbalanced distribution of Dman TOI than do the Canucks. Playing one of your D 10-11 minutes once every four games or so means nothing.

The question then becomes : why is Alberts playing ahead of Ballard at all? I'll let the Ballard lovers get up in arms about that, but I'll just say that Alberts adds a physical element that Ballard can't match, and he's not nearly as bad as many think.

Again, look around at most teams' 6th D man. We're lucky to have Alberts OR Ballard in that role, even though Ballard's cap hit makes that a no-go for the future.

#6 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

POPULAR

Ballard is almost an afterthought now. It's sad, but the truth. Ballard's turnovers and risky play have been completely exaggerated. It's clearly personal beef between AV and Ballard. It's not like those things don't happen.

#7 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

POPULAR

I dont understand why AV keeps benching Ballard. I thought he was playing well . :sadno:

#8 trevota

trevota

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

i love how alberts constantly gets out of position trying to make a hit........... thats a good thing right?

:picard:

#9 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Why is AV dumb enough to gas our other dmen, with playing Alberts, when he can play Ballard and rest some of our other dmen?

Forget these 2 cubes what about Cam Barker? Why won't AV play him. Just because they won last night doesn't mean they've solved their problems. The only short term improvement was the way the team came out flying, about time!

#10 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,887 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Going by NHL.com stats, Ballard's average ice time per game is just under 15 minutes. Alberts averages about a minute and a half less.

Of the minute and a half discrepancy, a minute is special teams play, meaning that 5 on 5, Ballard averages a bout 30 seconds more than Alberts.

If that extra 30 seconds is "gassing" anyone, they need to hit the gym a little harder...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#11 Sixteen W's

Sixteen W's

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

I like Ballard more than Alberts.
Posted Image

#12 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,925 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

i love how alberts constantly gets out of position trying to make a hit........... thats a good thing right?

:picard:

In AV's eyes yes

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#13 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

12 minutes is still 3x as much ice-time Stu Bickel was getting

#14 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Yes, Andrew Alberts plays physical and will deck forwards that get too close to our goaltender in front of the net, but he's so easy to beat one-on-one on the rush. So many times the opposition just pulls an inside-outside move and they are behind him to bust towards the net.

Posted Image

#15 EliteFlare

EliteFlare

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

I like the physical element that Alberts brings, he took Dorsett out for the rest of the season with a clean hit, and there have been numerous other occasions as well where Alberts has shown that he can use his physicality to his advantage. He's slow though and often gets beat 1 on 1 chasing pucks, and I noticed he pinches too much in the O zone and sometimes he gets caught out of position.

No question Ballard was one of our best d-men for the first 20 games this year, there has to be some legit reason AV is benching him whether it be some personal vendetta or something

#16 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,007 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Alberts is the new Rome.

307mg00.jpg

#17 Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

short answer ballard is better

luo_sig_with_words.jpg

#18 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

short answer ballard is better

whats the long answer?

HpkJUPw.jpg

Credit to KingAlex for the sig. R.I.P.

#19 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

i dunno alberts started that raymond goal last night and almost got a goal (just hit the post)

i think hes been great , plus that big ass hit that separated that dudes shoulders

and hes got the flow going
Posted Image

#20 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

A-Train is pure beast mode, he destroys guys, he even almost scored on a pinch in the other night, lol. Where as Ballard never almost scores, throws 3-4 big hip checks a season. Neither are very good defensively but Alberts size and ability to handle physical play make him more valuable at this point.

#21 Canucklehead73

Canucklehead73

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

I don't know about icetime, but for a 5/6 defensman I will take Alberts Pros/Cons to Ballards Pros/Cons anyday. Ballard does have good games and this year he has not been "retreating" nearly as much as last year but his game is really limited...

Not that Alberts game isn't limited as well, but he hits, has good reach, and is sooo much more effective along the boards than Ballard and alot of games are won on the battles on the boards.

Alot of this talk is moot as the root of our problems on the defnsive end are from AV's tactics.
Go Canucks Go!

#22 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

Alberts so far has earned his ice time and starting spot. Ballard is over rated.

0au3Jj.gifhuntersmalll.jpg

#23 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

Alberts so far has earned his ice time and starting spot.  Ballard is over rated.

Posted Image

#24 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

Alberts has size and some toughness, something that this team needs and Ballard does NOT have.

Edited by Understand, 15 March 2013 - 11:38 PM.

#25 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Has Alberts game been that much worse than Ballard's?

Cause I don't think so.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#26 flat land fish

flat land fish

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

guys look at the numbers, I thought Ballard looked good on the ice then after 20 games he had 1 point and an even +/-. I think it is a good move to see what the team looks like with either Alberts or Barker in the lineup.

#27 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

I like Ballard and i like Alberts, but for some reason he hasn't been able to perform as required relative to his pay and is in avs doghouse.

Alberts had been just as effective defensively and faaaaaarrrrrr more physical..

This team sorely needs the physical game that Alberts brings. I'm sure the league has seen what happened to Dorsett and its this notoriety that helps the team and especially our goalies as teams will think twice about driving to the net hard on Lu and Schneids.

Anyone able to protect our tenders gets the nod from me.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#28 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

i dunno alberts started that raymond goal last night and almost got a goal (just hit the post)

i think hes been great , plus that big ass hit that separated that dudes shoulders

and hes got the flow going

Certainly agree on the flow factor...this team has lacked legitimate flow for far too long.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#29 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

If you look at TOI around the league, you'll see that many teams have much more imbalanced distribution of Dman TOI than do the Canucks. Playing one of your D 10-11 minutes once every four games or so means nothing.

The question then becomes : why is Alberts playing ahead of Ballard at all? I'll let the Ballard lovers get up in arms about that, but I'll just say that Alberts adds a physical element that Ballard can't match, and he's not nearly as bad as many think.

Again, look around at most teams' 6th D man. We're lucky to have Alberts OR Ballard in that role, even though Ballard's cap hit makes that a no-go for the future.

Basically this.. and when you look at when we started playing Alberts we were in a major slump and usually playing from behind, he was obviously shortening the bench to play the offensive guys more.. Tiring them out wouldn't make a difference if we're not in the playoffs. Still gotta tie up the games in the reg season of we want to get there.

#30 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

I like Alberts, he was obviously terrible the first year he was here after the deadline, but ever since he has been solid, exactly what you want in a 7th defenceman. I dunno what's been going on with Ballard, maybe they're working on a trade and don't want to take the chance of him getting injured. But Alberts has played a solid game, Ballard wasn't noticeably better than Alberts when he was in the lineup, I mean, he has one assist in 20+ games.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.