The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lil Wayne in critical condition

AriGold

Yup because nobody else was being insensitive towards a person with drug issues in this thread.

We need a bigger canoe.

The person with drug issue's family isn't here. Plus, that person isn't a child - they're an adult and in a position that may influence children who idolize him. They should know better, where a kid is still learning life's lessons. A different thing in my mind.

So show some sensitivity, please. Real quick.

I'm siding with Special Ed here. I understand that musicians have influence, but there is a severe lack of media literacy in our culture, and if parents aren't media literate, and if they can't "read" entertainment properly, then their children likely won't either. It is the parents (and, later, teachers/professors) job to teach youth had to think critically about the media we consume non-stop. it is NOT Lil Wayne's responsibility to filter or censor his life, especially when he has spent the bulk of his adult life in the limelight, making millions of dollars for that candidness.

Yes, entertainers are to blame for their own actions, but they cannot be blamed for being put in the position to highlight those interests. That is a cultural "problem." And that is a problem only an adult can fix by helping a child become media literate.

This entirely falls on the shoulders of the parents as far as I'm concerned.

Scott, where'd your cousin live?

This thread has morphed into what's wrong with society. Everyone is looking to blame someone else for their actions.

Why should Lil Wayne be responsible for everyone else's children? He's a human being like everyone else. We all have good traits and we all have flaws. How is Lil Wayne any different?

This thread has morphed into what's wrong with society. Everyone is looking to blame someone else for their actions.

Why should Lil Wayne be responsible for everyone else's children? He's a human being like everyone else. We all have good traits and we all have flaws. How is Lil Wayne any different?

Li'l Wayne is equally responsible as any other entertainer or person, for that matter. Because he markets his music and videos to youth and because his antics land him headlining airtime on TV and the internet, he has a greater influence on youth than an ordinary person might, whether we like it or not.

I agree with GLASSJAW and his reference to making our youth more media literate through education at home and at school, but, we make too much adult content available to our youth these days.

The way a kid, and many adults, sees things... Li'l Wayne, and many, many other entertainers, promotes partying, cough syrup consumption, bitches, booze, drugs, sex, expensive cars, the importance of money, etc. Kids see this and they think this is how life is. They think this is how to act cool. Reality says this is not how real life is. It is how life is for many overpaid, over pampered, self-entitled Pop culture figures. A parent or teacher can model and tell a kid that this is not the way things are, but, a kid being a kid sometimes doesn't listen. They still want to be like Li'l Wayne because it's cool... It's what their culture says is cool... The flavor of the week. This is the parent's or teacher's problem how?

I'm siding with Special Ed here. I understand that musicians have influence, but there is a severe lack of media literacy in our culture, and if parents aren't media literate, and if they can't "read" entertainment properly, then their children likely won't either. It is the parents (and, later, teachers/professors) job to teach youth had to think critically about the media we consume non-stop. it is NOT Lil Wayne's responsibility to filter or censor his life, especially when he has spent the bulk of his adult life in the limelight, making millions of dollars for that candidness.

Yes, entertainers are to blame for their own actions, but they cannot be blamed for being put in the position to highlight those interests. That is a cultural "problem." And that is a problem only an adult can fix by helping a child become media literate.

This entirely falls on the shoulders of the parents as far as I'm concerned.

Scott, where'd your cousin live?

Li'l Wayne is equally responsible as any other entertainer or person, for that matter. Because he markets his music and videos to youth and because his antics land him headlining airtime on TV and the internet, he has a greater influence on youth than an ordinary person might, whether we like it or not.

I agree with GLASSJAW and his reference to making our youth more media literate through education at home and at school, but, we make too much adult content available to our youth these days.

The way a kid, and many adults, sees things... Li'l Wayne, and many, many other entertainers, promotes partying, cough syrup consumption, bitches, booze, drugs, sex, expensive cars, the importance of money, etc. Kids see this and they think this is how life is. They think this is how to act cool. Reality says this is not how real life is. It is how life is for many overpaid, over pampered, self-entitled Pop culture figures. A parent or teacher can model and tell a kid that this is not the way things are, but, a kid being a kid sometimes doesn't listen. They still want to be like Li'l Wayne because it's cool... It's what their culture says is cool... The flavor of the week. This is the parent's or teacher's problem how?

I disagree that kids see the artists and think that's how life is. I grew up with snoop dog, wu tang, 2pac, biggie and I never went around dealing drugs, doing drugs, shooting people ect ect.

There are bad influences everywhere that a kid can pick up on you can't control that. You can't tell people like lil Wayne how to live their life. Personally i think the internet is worst of all. who do we blame from every nasty thing being a google away?

In the end all you can do is have a positive impact on the people around you. As I said before and others have mentioned the parents play the most impostant role in all of this. I had a single parent who closely monitered my activities all the time.

You are just clueless...just clueless...and you continue to foist blame on parents where there is none..If you're suggesting this son of a bitch shouldn't at least be held responsible for his actions especially considering the influence people like him have over the youth in this world...you cannot see the ****ing forest for the trees. I sincerely hope that if you have children you don't have to deal with what my aunt and uncle are going through today.

You probably noticed that I didn't defend Lil Wayne's actions. I'm not arguing that these people haven't placed themselves into a role of influence to impressionable kids. I'm saying that to expect entertainers to live their lives without human flaws is unrealistic. In fact most people know that entertainers, like musicians and actors, are some of the most flawed people in society. That's the problem.

So pointing the blame at Lil Wayne for a tragedy that befalls a child isn't fair and doesn't solve anything. For every Lil Wayne, there is ten wannabes in line waiting to be the next big star. So trying to get these guys to change is like a dog chasing it's tail.

Which brings me back to my point. Blaming Lil Wayne is not going to fix anything.

You are just clueless...just clueless...and you continue to foist blame on parents where there is none..If you're suggesting this son of a bitch shouldn't at least be held responsible for his actions especially considering the influence people like him have over the youth in this world...you cannot see the ****ing forest for the trees. I sincerely hope that if you have children you don't have to deal with what my aunt and uncle are going through today.

If I saw some nobody promoting this crap out on the street, I'd think the same. Lil Wayne isn't any different, so don't let him off the hook like he is. If someone walked into a school telling kids that mixing a concoction like this was cool, we'd call them out so why not a celebrity? You're right, he isn't any different so why are you treating him as such?

Those using prescription drugs for anything other than Doctor prescribed use are a problem in society moreso than a young kid who tragically did what many do - idolized someone in the limelight and tried something that was presented as "cool".

It isn't the music that needs censorship GJ, it's the behavior likely needing an adjustment. It's irresponsible. So yeah, worthy of criticism.

Archived