The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Republican Defends Slavery At Minority Outreach Panel: It Gave ‘Food And Shelter’ To Blacks

Wetcoaster

YIKES!!!

Just when you thought that conservative Republicans in the US might have learned from the last election that they need to broaden their base of support and reach out to minorities given the changing voter demographics, this happens.

At first I thought this had to be satire from The Onion or some such publication, but nope - real life in the US of A. What the heck was wrong with segregation anyway asked a delegate from North Carolina, 30-year-old Scott Terry,

It was real - I have put a video at the end of the article.

Oh yeah and for good measure Terry notes women seem to be getting all uppity when challenged by a woman in the crowd - “I didn’t know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.”

I cannot for the life of me figure why the Republican party has had problems in the last two Presidential elections. (Note - sarcasm)

NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — A panel at the Conservative Political Action Committee on Republican minority outreach exploded into controversy on Friday afternoon, after an audience member defended slavery as good for African-Americans.

The exchange occurred after an audience member from North Carolina, 30-year-old Scott Terry, asked whether Republicans could endorse races remaining separate but equal. After the presenter, K. Carl Smith of Frederick Douglass Republicans, answered by referencing a letter by Frederick Douglass forgiving his former master, the audience member said “For what? For feeding him and housing him?” Several people in the audience cheered and applauded Terry’s outburst.

After the exchange, Terry muttered under his breath, “why can’t we just have segregation?” noting the Constitution’s protections for freedom of association.

ThinkProgress spoke with Terry, who sported a Rick Santorum sticker and attended CPAC with a friend who wore a Confederate Flag-emblazoned t-shirt, about his views after the panel. Terry maintained that white people have been “systematically disenfranchised” by federal legislation.

When asked by ThinkProgress if he’d accept a society where African-Americans were permanently subservient to whites, he said “I’d be fine with that.” He also claimed that African-Americans “should be allowed to vote in Africa,” and that “all the Tea Parties” were concerned with the same racial problems that he was.

At one point, a woman challenged him on the Republican Party’s roots, to which Terry responded, “I didn’t know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.”

He claimed to be a direct descendent of Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

The panel continued to be racked in controversy, as an African-American audience member repeatedly challenged the racism on display at this event. CPAC is the marquee conservative conference of the year, with speakers ranging from former Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney to Senator Marco Rubio.

http://thinkprogress...each/?mobile=nc

One of the many results of having organized groupthink conferences like CPAC, is the crazies tend to come out of their hiding places and actually garner support. This was troubling yet, but did anyone else know the tea party guy in the corner with the full Revere outfit?

Anways, I always find it ironic how republicans talk about a sense of entitlement, when this mouthbreather clearly feels whites are some how 'disenfranchised'. I guess he feels he's entitled to ultra conservative government.

Meh I have no problem with people speaking their mind like this and saying what they truly believe, it helps us identify the idiots. Better to have this happen than to have them actually elected because they were hiding their stupid thoughts from the public.

Seriously...you had that one idiot Akin making uninformed statements about forcible rape and Ryan backing him up...then you've got the hypocrites in Congress who had the chance to avoid the fiscal cliff and sat with their thumbs up their ass until the deadline passed. Both parties are full of ****, but the Republicans are living in the past....and their chances, in my opinion...of getting the White House back in the near future...are slim and none. They're grasping at all the straws that remain in order to stay afloat. Jeezus...even rats know when to desert a sinking ship.

Well its interesting that in the 1950s it was the Democratic Party that was the most racist, and had the support of most of the White people in the Southern States.  

http://en.wikipedia...._election,_1952

http://en.wikipedia...._election,_1956

Later Giants of the party included George Wallace, segregationist...and who could forget Robert Byrd, that beloved long-serving senator and ardent racist.  

Odd how this never seems to be mentioned in what some term the "liberal media" but which I will simply call the Partisan Democratic Media, as there is little liberal about party, and in fact little difference between it and the Republican Party.

There are a lot of folks with the same beliefs on the Democrat side of things too, only the left dominated mainstream media mostly ignores or downplays them.

Oh and Canada certainly has its share of like minded individuals too, "Canada" may have gotten rid of slavery earlier on but it never lacked for the Jim Crow type conditions that followed.

Well its interesting that in the 1950s it was the Democratic Party that was the most racist, and had the support of most of the White people in the Southern States.

http://en.wikipedia...._election,_1952

http://en.wikipedia...._election,_1956

Later Giants of the party included George Wallace, segregationist...and who could forget Robert Byrd, that beloved long-serving senator and ardent racist.

Odd how this never seems to be mentioned in what some term the "liberal media" but which I will simply call the Partisan Democratic Media, as there is little liberal about party, and in fact little difference between it and the Republican Party.

There are a lot of folks with the same beliefs on the Democrat side of things too, only the left dominated mainstream media mostly ignores or downplays them.

Oh and Canada certainly has its share of like minded individuals too, "Canada" may have gotten rid of slavery earlier on but it never lacked for the Jim Crow type conditions that followed.

Archived