Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 11 votes

Why are we celebrating a cup win by another team?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#61 Discord

Discord

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,187 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

say what you will, but the millionaires had a sweet jersey.

Edited by Olias, 15 March 2013 - 11:25 PM.

2dvpkl4.jpg

Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain, you guys! CHOCOLATE RAIN

It's the year to be hated. I support our team.

I do take sig requests.

#62 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,986 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Honouring something that's a part of hockey history is that bad? If the Canucks do a tribute to the Vancouver Canucks WHL team is that bad as well?

This year is the 120th anniversary of the Stanley Cup being awarded (The first being to Montreal HC), if the Canadiens wanted to celebrate that, I'm fine with it.

Posted Image

And yes, it's partly a money grab as well, considering the club lost out on basically 1/2 a season, that's understandable.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 15 March 2013 - 11:57 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#63 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,912 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

because the city has never won anything in hockey since. why not? they bought the millionaires trademark to make a buck, and they will.
Posted Image

#64 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

Everyone seems to be so into this idea of celebrating the Millionaires tonight but I just don't get it. Let's be honest, if the Canucks had not failed in each of their trips to the final there is no way we eould be celebrating a cup victory by another franchise. Other than being from Vancouver the Millionaires have no connection whatsoever to the Canucks, hell they didn't even play in the same league. How many Islanders or Sabres fans did you remember celebrating the Rangers victory in '94? The answer is none, because the Rangers are an entirely different franchise and being in the same city or state as a championship winning team does not earn you any bragging rights if your team was not the one that won. Crazier still is the fact that the Millionaires were not even the last team from BC to win the cup, in fact, that honor goes to out OPPONENTS in tonights game, who were originally the Victoria Cougars and won the cup in1925 before moving to Detroit and becoming the Detroit Cougars and later the Red Wings. I think celebrating futility as we are tonight is pathetic and there is no reason to embrace all the years of failure by the Canucks and celebrate a cup by another franchise nearly a century ago. If there was ever a good reason to riot it would be to boycott this stupid celebration of failure tonight.

I hope not to offend anyone, I'm just sick of this organizations attempts to cover up and hide how much this team has failed in the past while doing next to nothing to make us better in the future.

Enjoy the game!

Too late...

/=S=/

#65 Haikara

Haikara

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

A select few are chosen to be Canucks multimillionaires.

The rest of us are here to worship the wealthy.

I c wut you did thar :bigblush:
Posted Image

#66 zoner.

zoner.

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

No city on the pacific coast haf a team during the original 6 era. The western most team was Chicago.

Hockey. Not NHL hockey, but hockey. There was a WHL team here, maybe you forgot about it.
Posted Image

#67 Brodeur

Brodeur

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

Just enjoy the game.

#68 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:41 AM

Gotta admit this whole Millionaire tribute is troll fodder,expect a lot more of these ridiculous threads popping up.
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#69 Nuckedup

Nuckedup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

say what you will, but the millionaires had a sweet jersey.

I agree it is a really nice jersey. But then again, the Blackhawks have perhaps the best jersey in all of sports, that doesn't give the Canucks a reason to wear it.

#70 CanucksLegacy

CanucksLegacy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

I agree it is a really nice jersey. But then again, the Blackhawks have perhaps the best jersey in all of sports, that doesn't give the Canucks a reason to wear it.

Are you even a fan? I mean it's one thing to critique a player because of how they're performing, but criticizing why we celebrate? Again as many have said, it's a celebration of the HISTORY of hockey in BC. If you didn't know already, the Patricks (major part of the Vancouver Millionaires) were major pioneers in the hockey we know today.

The league was called the Pacific Coast Hockey Association and it began play in 1911-12. Frank was in charge of the Vancouver Millionaires as well as being the league president. In the league's second year, Frank convinced his former defense partner, Cyclone Taylor, to join his team, giving the young league a boost of star power. That season, Patrick scored six goals in one game, establishing a record that has never been surpassed by NHL defenders. Frank was the leader, on the ice and in the boardroom, of a Vancouver team that won the Stanley Cup.

The innovations Frank brought to hockey during the formation and development of the PCHA are key components of the modern game. He introduced the blue line, the forward pass and the playoff system, a change adopted by other leagues and sports around the world. Together with Lester, he began using numbers on players' sweaters and in programs to help fans identify the skaters. They allowed the puck to be kicked (everywhere but into the net) and allowed goaltenders to fall to the ice to make a save, if need be, instead of forcing them to remain standing. They were responsible for crediting assists when a goal was scored and they invented the penalty shot. In all, Frank was credited with 22 changes that remain in the NHL rulebook to this day. It's no wonder he was called "the brains of modern hockey."

Taken from: http://www.legendsof...&page=bio&list=

I personally didn't know that hockey use to be all backpassing before the Patricks introduced the forward pass. That's some history.

It was changes of almost a century ago that have led to the hockey of today. I think that'd merit some sort of celebrating the history of hockey in Vancouver, no?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#71 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

Are you even a fan? I mean it's one thing to critique a player because of how they're performing, but criticizing why we celebrate? Again as many have said, it's a celebration of the HISTORY of hockey in BC. If you didn't know already, the Patricks (major part of the Vancouver Millionaires) were major pioneers in the hockey we know today.

Taken from: http://www.legendsof...&page=bio&list=

I personally didn't know that hockey use to be all backpassing before the Patricks introduced the forward pass. That's some history.

It was changes of almost a century ago that have led to the hockey of today. I think that'd merit some sort of celebrating the history of hockey in Vancouver, no?

I don't think the troll OP cares about any of that....as it's been pointed out numerous times the real reasons the Nucks are wearing the M's jerseys tonight(money, our citys hockey history...same reason the Giants wore em a few years back). OP will, seemingly, be quite surprised when there is no cup presentation and no parade. ;)

Edited by pimpcurtly, 16 March 2013 - 07:20 AM.

Posted Image

#72 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

Everyone seems to be so into this idea of celebrating the Millionaires tonight but I just don't get it. Let's be honest, if the Canucks had not failed in each of their trips to the final there is no way we eould be celebrating a cup victory by another franchise. Other than being from Vancouver the Millionaires have no connection whatsoever to the Canucks, hell they didn't even play in the same league. How many Islanders or Sabres fans did you remember celebrating the Rangers victory in '94? The answer is none, because the Rangers are an entirely different franchise and being in the same city or state as a championship winning team does not earn you any bragging rights if your team was not the one that won. Crazier still is the fact that the Millionaires were not even the last team from BC to win the cup, in fact, that honor goes to out OPPONENTS in tonights game, who were originally the Victoria Cougars and won the cup in1925 before moving to Detroit and becoming the Detroit Cougars and later the Red Wings. I think celebrating futility as we are tonight is pathetic and there is no reason to embrace all the years of failure by the Canucks and celebrate a cup by another franchise nearly a century ago. If there was ever a good reason to riot it would be to boycott this stupid celebration of failure tonight.

I hope not to offend anyone, I'm just sick of this organizations attempts to cover up and hide how much this team has failed in the past while doing next to nothing to make us better in the future.

Enjoy the game!

Yeah but....we made it to Game 7!! Twice!

#73 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

"How many Islanders or Sabres fans did you remember celebrating the Rangers victory in '94?"

How is that even relevant? 3 different teams. Should the Maple Leafs celebrate any of their cups when there were only 6 teams in the playoffs?

It's relevant because they're all in the same city/state.

#74 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,688 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Same state.

...with multiple teams.

Argument is still silly and not well thought out. It's not the location in terms of maps it's in terms of the fanbase. Most folks in Windsor are Wings fans but they're in Ontario.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 16 March 2013 - 08:26 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#75 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Simply celebrating 100 years of Hockey in Vancouver.. :lol:
Posted Image

#76 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,912 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:15 AM

no way, it's a racist jersey. doesn't fit with the times.
Posted Image

#77 Melons

Melons

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

@VanCanucks

Today we are celebrating a Century of Hockey in#Vancouver by wearing the original jersey of Vancouver's first team. It's big night.

Really interesting hockey history here on the coast, worth celebrating and reviving. The Patrick family and the PCHL really had a strong impact on how the game is played to this day. And, as most will agree, sick jerseys-moneygrab or no.

#78 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,346 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

1. Remind me never to invite you to a Super Bowl party. I don't live in the US/have an NFL team in my city so why should I celebrate the Super Bowl? Giving away my NYG stuff now. Sorry?

2. Anyone who suggests there is ever reason to riot isn't worthy of a serious response, however, here it is:

3. Quit trolling.

Posted Image

#79 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

I like the whole Victoria Cougars part. I didn't even know that :lol:
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#80 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Another great thread on CDC, as usual.

RIP LB RR PD

#81 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

100 years of hockey in Vancouver, Bud. That is all this evening is celebrating.

I wish my Uncle Vic was still alive. He played for the Canucks from 1949-52 in the PCHL. He would love to see this celebration because he was a part of it, as are the Millionaires.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#82 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hmm, let's see...

Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver Millionaires

No... Nope...No i don't see a connection at all.
Posted Image

#83 The Sieve

The Sieve

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Like most other initiatives in hockey it is about creating revenue. You can bet these shirts, caps and other items will be on sale soon. Think back to the lockout when so many of you said that you wouldn't buy any souvenirs, clothing, etc to support two rich spoiled brats. Live up to your word!

#84 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Whats wrong with supporting the history of Hockey in Vancouver? I think we should be proud of the millionaires and their history.

Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#85 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Well you see, most Canucks fans are from Vancouver, and this is part of the city's sporting history. It's pretty stupid to say that we, as Canucks fans, shouldn't have any sort of appreciation for that history because it wasn't the same franchise, I mean, that's pretty lame.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#86 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,293 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

did TC just suggest that Buffalo, Long Island, and Manhattan are all the same city?

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#87 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,346 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Like most other initiatives in hockey it is about creating revenue. You can bet these shirts, caps and other items will be on sale soon. Think back to the lockout when so many of you said that you wouldn't buy any souvenirs, clothing, etc to support two rich spoiled brats. Live up to your word!

Of course, the bottom line is that's what it's about. But it also generates some extra enthusiasm and a buzz as it becomes a "theme" game. For me, I love games against the Red Wings anyhow but I find I'm looking forward to it just a bit more because of the extra talk that's been going on. People can be such buzzkills here...must we find negatives in everything? When my kids were little, we could just have a birthday party for them but I tried to infuse something different in each time and it made it more fun. Same thing here as far as I'm concerned.

They were the "Vancouver" Millionaires and, being from the Lower Mainland area, I have no problem celebrating that or anything that's part of hockey heritage in this city...of course the Canucks are connected to that.

Posted Image

#88 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Crazier still is the fact that the Millionaires were not even the last team from BC to win the cup, in fact, that honor goes to out OPPONENTS in tonights game, who were originally the Victoria Cougars and won the cup in 1925 before moving to Detroit and becoming the Detroit Cougars and later the Red Wings. I think celebrating futility as we are tonight is pathetic and there is no reason to embrace all the years of failure by the Canucks and celebrate a cup by another franchise nearly a century ago. If there was ever a good reason to riot it would be to boycott this stupid celebration of failure tonight.

That's not even the same team... "The new Detroit franchise purchased the players of the folded Victoria Cougars WHL club to play for the team. The new Detroit franchise also adopted the Cougars' nickname in honor of the folded franchise."

#89 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

-They aren't celebrating the Stanley Cup, they're celebrating the history of hockey. And they're doing it as a marketing tactic. OP is clearly incapable of reading, or only has selective memory.
-The New York analogy doesn't work, because those three teams are competing against each other in the same league at the same time, so they have different fan bases. If they were in separate leagues and won a championship, you very well might see them honour each other, just like how the Canucks do when the Lions win the Grey Cup.

Edited by etsen3, 16 March 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#90 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Don't you know yet, the Canucks are masters of celebrating futility. :lol:

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.