Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 11 votes

Why are we celebrating a cup win by another team?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#91 Nuckedup

Nuckedup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

I love how there are people saying I don't know how to read and calling me an idiot while completely ignoring half of the OP and every other post in the thread explaining why none of your arguments have merit. I guess I need to include all information in a single post in order for it to be properly comprehended. Here goes!

The New York analogy doesn't work

Then use the Winnipeg Victorias analogy which I also mentioned earlier. You don't see Jets fans celebrating the cups won by the Victorias because they are an entirely different franchise and celebrating the accomplishments of a franchise other than your own is silly. You also never saw Nordiques fans bragging about cups won by the original Quebec Bulldogs.

It's a celebration of 100 years of hockey in Vancouver/Pacific coast

Vancouver did not have a team eligible to compete for the cup between when the Millionaires left the league and the Canucks entered, nor did any other city on the pacific coast. Vancouver has had a cup eligible team for a grand total of 54 seasons.

It's a money thing.

This I agree with. However, one thing that simply cannot be denied is the fact that the cup win is the reason management uses the Millionaires in marketing. If the Canucks had ever won the cup or if the Millionaires hadn't, no one would give a damn about a team that played 100 years ago. The organization uses the Millionaires as a money making tool because they give fans in Vancouver the opportunity to say their city has had a cup winning team, which for some ridiculous reason we just eat right up even though the franchise has never had any official ties to the Canucks AND it was fricken 1915.

No other fans in the league choose to be in such denial of their teams lack of accomplishments and celebrate something that means nothing in order to keep living in the fantasy world where this team has a proud history. If anyone ever wonders why all other fans hate us so much it is because of things exactly like this.

Celebrate victories, by OUR OWN team, not futility!

#92 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Vancouver did not have a team eligible to compete for the cup between when the Millionaires left the league and the Canucks entered, nor did any other city on the pacific coast. Vancouver has had a cup eligible team for a grand total of 54 seasons.

You still don't get it lol "HOCKEY" in Vancouver/pacific coast. You do know they play hockey in Russia? and Switzerland? and Sweden? and... There's more to hockey than the NHL. Guess back to the trolling board for you

#93 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

Frigging whiner crybabies.

There is something wrong with this fanbase.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#94 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

I love how there are people saying I don't know how to read and calling me an idiot while completely ignoring half of the OP and every other post in the thread explaining why none of your arguments have merit. I guess I need to include all information in a single post in order for it to be properly comprehended. Here goes!

Then use the Winnipeg Victorias analogy which I also mentioned earlier. You don't see Jets fans celebrating the cups won by the Victorias because they are an entirely different franchise and celebrating the accomplishments of a franchise other than your own is silly. You also never saw Nordiques fans bragging about cups won by the original Quebec Bulldogs.

This I agree with. However, one thing that simply cannot be denied is the fact that the cup win is the reason management uses the Millionaires in marketing. If the Canucks had ever won the cup or if the Millionaires hadn't, no one would give a damn about a team that played 100 years ago. The organization uses the Millionaires as a money making tool because they give fans in Vancouver the opportunity to say their city has had a cup winning team, which for some ridiculous reason we just eat right up even though the franchise has never had any official ties to the Canucks AND it was fricken 1915.

No other fans in the league choose to be in such denial of their teams lack of accomplishments and celebrate something that means nothing in order to keep living in the fantasy world where this team has a proud history. If anyone ever wonders why all other fans hate us so much it is because of things exactly like this.

This is NOT a Stanley Cup celebration, for the 999999th time. That's only a small part of it. I didn't realize that the Canucks were the only team that wears retro jerseys to honour teams of the past. Hell the Senators have their original Stanley Cup banners hanging permanently in their arena. It's a celebration of "100 years of hockey in Vancouver", not "100 years of Stanley Cup eligible hockey in Vancouver". I guess in your mind the Olympics don't count as hockey, neither do all the leagues other than the NHL. Please tell me where you got the "Cup eligible" part from.

OP YOU are the one that's making this all about the Stanley Cup, not the team.

Edited by etsen3, 16 March 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#95 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,904 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

It's not the cup win by the Millionaires that's the only focus...it's the retro thing. The throwback. So maybe you've just got tunnel vision OP and don't get what they're going for here.

Posted Image

#96 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

We're celebrating the history of hockey on the pacific coast, so I don't see what the big deal is. It just so happens this one bit of history has a Stanley Cup in it :lol:

#97 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Its cup win by a team from this city.....HELLO. Thanks for creating another negative thread. Even Calgary fans don't make so many negative threads on their board.
Posted Image

#98 Nuckedup

Nuckedup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

It's not the cup win by the Millionaires that's the only focus...it's the retro thing. The throwback. So maybe you've just got tunnel vision OP and don't get what they're going for here.

Then why aren't they wearing the retro 1982 jerseys? Oh yeah, the Canucks lost year.

#99 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Then why aren't they wearing the retro 1982 jerseys? Oh yeah, the Canucks lost year.

Because those jerseys are ugly.

Not everything is about the damn cup.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#100 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Obviously the Jets should change their name.

Right?

Posted Image

#101 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

The Rangers and Islanders are in the same city. Stay in school son.

No burn. Just wise advice. He took care of the burn on himself by not knowing that the New York Rangers and New York Islanders both play in the city of New York.

You know, I'm actually quite surprised nobody here has said this yet but........ I am pretty damn sure, 200% sure, that even though it SAYS New York Rangers and New York Islanders, the Islanders DO NOT play in New York City. Otherwise, they would be playing in Madison Square Garden.

New York Islanders - Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum based in UNIONDALE, NEW YORK

New York Rangers - Madison Square Garden based in NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK.

Yes, the Islanders will be playing in Brooklyn eventually in 2015, then you can make the argument that they're playing in the same city, but the fact that you made the dumbest comment any average joe of a hockey fan will make just shows how little you know about the Canucks and hockey in general.

It's like saying the Los Angeles Angels and Dodgers are playing in LA but the fact is, the Angels are based in Anaheim and the Dodgers are based in LA. Same goes for New York Jets and Giants, Jets are based in New York City yes but the Giants are in New Jersey.

Please do some quick Google searching before you look like a dumbass. Oh wait....

#102 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

`Babcock congratulated the Canucks on embracing tradition`

Posted Image

#103 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

-they're ugly
-it's not their 100th anniversary
-if wearing retro jerseys was all about the Stanley Cup, why do the Canucks wear the Stick-in-rink and Johnny Canuck?

#104 canuckster19

canuckster19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hey OP, go to the Senators forum and tell them to take down all those SC banners they have up. You do know they aren't the same team right?

Hell I wish we'd raise a banner in honour of the Ms just to troll the rest of the league.
Posted Image
Trekkie Monster says: GO CANUCKS GO!

Please read the Board Rules

#105 Nuckedup

Nuckedup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

Still pissed about getting manhandled by the Lidstromles Wings again but a least we got the game out of the way. Hopefully the rest of the league forgets about us ever wearing those damn jerseys. LOL we just gave the limitless amount of haters even more damn fodder.

#106 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

Still pissed about getting manhandled by the Lidstromles Wings again but a least we got the game out of the way. Hopefully the rest of the league forgets about us ever wearing those damn jerseys. LOL we just gave the limitless amount of haters even more damn fodder.

Fodder away, hater!
Posted Image

#107 Captain Can

Captain Can

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Yes, let's never do anything to celebrate history but instead have the exact same routine every game, every season for the rest of time. Who cares if its a cash grab. If you don't like it don't buy it!

Clearly people like it though, because they sold out of jerseys pretty freaking quickly.

#108 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Everyone seems to be so into this idea of celebrating the Millionaires tonight but I just don't get it. Let's be honest, if the Canucks had not failed in each of their trips to the final there is no way we eould be celebrating a cup victory by another franchise. Other than being from Vancouver the Millionaires have no connection whatsoever to the Canucks, hell they didn't even play in the same league. How many Islanders or Sabres fans did you remember celebrating the Rangers victory in '94? The answer is none, because the Rangers are an entirely different franchise and being in the same city or state as a championship winning team does not earn you any bragging rights if your team was not the one that won. Crazier still is the fact that the Millionaires were not even the last team from BC to win the cup, in fact, that honor goes to out OPPONENTS in tonights game, who were originally the Victoria Cougars and won the cup in1925 before moving to Detroit and becoming the Detroit Cougars and later the Red Wings. I think celebrating futility as we are tonight is pathetic and there is no reason to embrace all the years of failure by the Canucks and celebrate a cup by another franchise nearly a century ago. If there was ever a good reason to riot it would be to boycott this stupid celebration of failure tonight.

I hope not to offend anyone, I'm just sick of this organizations attempts to cover up and hide how much this team has failed in the past while doing next to nothing to make us better in the future.

Enjoy the game!

You sir are a whiner.
Posted Image

#109 crashmartin

crashmartin

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

But Vancouver didn't even have a team eligible to compete for the cup between the time the Millionaires left and the Canucks entered the league. Dumb post.

So what you're saying is because there was no major league team inbetween, there was no other hockey in vancouver to celibtrate?

As others have stated multiple times its about celibrating hockey in Vancouver... not the cup... don't see how this concept is so hard to grasp.

#110 OncebeforeIdie

OncebeforeIdie

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

The Rangers and Islanders are in the same city. Stay in school son.

New York and Uniondale are the same city???

#111 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

lol but but but they both say New York!?!? :frantic:
Posted Image

#112 Nuckedup

Nuckedup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

LOL. That's why you bumped the thread? To show that you only have an irrelevant technicality to cling onto in order to feel as though you can get some meaningless measure of "victory" out of this "debate"?Reminds me of the morons who say that "Vancouver Canucks fans" were not at fault for the riots because most of them were from Surrey.Regarding the statement in your post, go read post 91.

#113 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

:lol: Your attempted to make yourself seem intelligent on the subject is beyond funny keep responding it's fun reading. I'm guessing you're a 1000 feet deep by now, keep digging mybe you will figure it out. :bigblush:

#114 SNACanuck

SNACanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Guess the whole notion of honoring history in the City of Vancouver is lost on the OP. Ever wonder why they came up with something called a museum? It's bout learning your past and respecting those that have contributed in making the city what it is today...

Cheers, 

Canucks fan in SoCal

#115 Nuckedup

Nuckedup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

:lol: Your attempted to make yourself seem intelligent on the subject is beyond funny keep responding it's fun reading. I'm guessing you're a 1000 feet deep by now, keep digging mybe you will figure it out. :bigblush:

Lolwut? Come back when you have a legitimate rebuttal. You sound beyond stupid telling me I'm wrong while doing absolutely nothing to back it up. Sign of insecurity and weakness if I've ever seen one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.