30 replies to this topic

#1 DSVII

DSVII

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Putting the divisional hatred aside, I'm curious as to why everyone is so hard on the Oilers right now. Keep in mind i don't follow the oilers so i don't know the intricacies of their organization, but from my understanding, they are at least attempting a proper rebuild unlike the flames, and these would take time.

Yes, they got three first overall picks in a row, but I'm not expecting Nugent Hopkins or even Yakupov to be having a breakout season for at least another 2-3 years considering how young they are. They were also ranked as having the best prospect pool of all the teams last year, with Goaltending and Defense being an issue (but that was before they signed schultz, so goaltending then...) But once the kids mature, they could be a force to be reckoned with (again, i don't know their ELC situation, so this may come into play?)

What do you think the Oiler's future is looking like? Would they eventually come to dominate the Northwest as the Canucks have? Or do you believe they'll continue to float in mediocrity due to other factors that are flying under the radar? (i.e management, cap/asset managing issues...etc)

Genuinely curious.

"The Canucks, are like North America, many of us have it so much better than others around the world or NHL, and we don't properly appreciate what we have."

"If Canucks fans hate Mason Raymond so bad, then you should have said something before the trade deadline! Because the Leafs would have totally taken him. I mean, can he score? Can he play a HINT of defense? WE'LL TAKE HIM! WE'LL TAKE TWO!"

- Steve Dangle (Leafs Fan Reaction - youtube)

#2 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

I honestly don't think they'll dominate with these guys.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#3 Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

if oilers keep sucking and get top 5 in draft. All i have to say is im happy the new NHL Realignment is coming in ,because oilers will be taking the northwest for sure.
Posted Image
Drouin#27 Halifax Mooseheads Star

Credit to Canucks Top Scorer

#4 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

I live in Edmonton and there only Oilers hockey on Tv. I've been to a few games too.

They got lots of talent for sure, but they have some serious size issues. (If anyone thinks the canucks are bad) They get pushed around lots. Could use some more stable blue liners.

#5 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

if oilers keep sucking and get top 5 in draft. All i have to say is im happy the new NHL Realignment is coming in ,because oilers will be taking the northwest for sure.

A team like Philadelphia or Boston could destroy that team in one game. They're weak.
Posted Image

#6 Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

A team like Philadelphia or Boston could destroy that team in one game. They're weak.

I said northwest division..
Posted Image
Drouin#27 Halifax Mooseheads Star

Credit to Canucks Top Scorer

#7 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

I don't see them being much. They have no real big bodies, already screwed up giving Hall, Eberle 6 million dollar contracts, since that will be the benchmark for Nugent, Yakupov. Gagner should get a raise too.

They just keep finishing last or near last and I don't expect that to change soon.

I would of took Seguin over Hall and landeskog over Nugent. just imagine Landeskog-Seguin-Eberle

#8 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Uh, Edmonton will still be in our division. It just won't be called the Northwest anymore and will include us, Calgary Edmonton, the California teams and Phoenix.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#9 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

I think the expectations are too high. Assuming #1 picks are all going to lead you to Lord Stanley's cup is silly. They have a decent core but a lot of missing pieces.

HpkJUPw.jpg

Credit to KingAlex for the sig

#10 Kassassinate

Kassassinate

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

they're eventually gonna be cap strapped and have to part with players they may not want to. Nuge, yakupov, hall, eberle, justin schultz are all going to be making 5-6 mill at least.

#11 37yrsncounting

37yrsncounting

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

They need to bite the bullet and acquire a star veteran with some skills and show the kids how it's done. Like sundin teaching Kesler and messier teaching naslund or naslund teaching the sedins. Oh and give mctavish the coaching job

#12 Cannucker

Cannucker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

I honestly believe the Wild will be a better overall team then the oilers will, sure oilers have top end talent but it stops at that. Wild seem to have a lot of "good" but not great players and with the right coaching they wont be too bad. Plus they have veterans locked up for the long haul

#13 Cucumber

Cucumber

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

I think they are like Chicago got some good draft picks all edm needs is to add a top 2dman some tough guys for 3/4 lines and a power forward top 6 guy also get a new mangerment

#14 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Until they trade one of their young stars for some quality depth and/or better D, that team will go nowhere

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#15 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

They have some talented young players, but they still have a lot of holes to fill on that team. They need their defense and net solidified, need to add some size and grit, and have to do all this assuming they'll have to pay more of their young guns bigger money. They set the bar with Hall and Eberle, and I'd say they probably set it too high.

It's also unrealistic to expect such a young team to contend for the cup, their young guys still have developing to do. Chicago won with a reasonably young core, and so did Pittsburgh, but those teams didn't have the holes this Oilers team has.

Edited by Azial, 16 March 2013 - 04:59 AM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

I think they are like Chicago got some good draft picks all edm needs is to add a top 2dman some tough guys for 3/4 lines and a power forward top 6 guy also get a new mangerment

No way they are like Chicago. Chicagos rebuild didn't take that long. toews and kane made an immediate impact followed by strong additions to the blue line with keith and Seabrook. Lastly attracting free agents is a major concern for the oilers unlike chi when they signed big names such as hossa.
Posted Image

#17 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

They'll honestly be like the Canucks one day. Winning left and right in the regular season, but losing in the playoffs due to their lack of size.
Posted Image

#18 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,459 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Not sure why Tamby hasn't made a move or three yet.
Posted Image

#19 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

OIler fans talk about 2 things.

OIlers..

And Canucks losing. I dispise their fanbase for it, and wish their team nothing but failures for years to come. I will love nothing but to see this team fail.

evidence? Go to hfboards.com and go to their section. They always talk about how much they hate the Canucks.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#20 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

OIlers..

And Canucks losing. I dispise their fanbase for it, and wish their team nothing but failures for years to come. I will love nothing but to see this team fail.

evidence? Go to hfboards.com and go to their section. They always talk about how much they hate the Canucks.

sounds like CDC but the hate here is spread out to not just one team it is hate towards Chicago, Edmonton, Calgary, Boston, the sharks, the leafs, etc etc.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#21 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

I said northwest division..

I'm well aware. I'm making a comparison. They're too soft to contend. Trade one of their big 3 for an asset (someone comparable to lucic). Need real veteran leadership.
Posted Image

#22 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

The Edmonton Oilers actually have the makings of the Blackhawks before their sudden rise. Their main issue I think is the coaching staff. The Oilers I feel could snatch up Lindy Ruff or possibly look at hiring Marc Crawford. They just need a better leader on the bench to get their guys out playing.

Also, simply trading one of their excess forwards for better blueliners, that could help solve their blueline woes. I would look at dealing Gagner to Phoenix for Ekman-Larsson, then dealing Hemsky to Los Angeles for Scuderi. Adding blueliners like that could give them:

Schulz - Schulz
Scuderi - EL
Smid - Whitney

That's a decent lineup right in there to complement their superb forward groups. Two Stanley Cup finalists (and one champion) are in that mix to give experience and leadership.

Nugent-Hopkins in the right time and under the right circumstances could emerge as a "poor-man's" Gretzky - which actually could mean he'd be among the best players on the ice. He has vision, skating, intelligence, and leadership, all positive intangibles for future success. Put him between Yakapov and Smyth, and assemble a second line of Hall-Horcoff-Eberle, there's a top six that almost resembles the 1980s Oilers. Just give them time to mature and emerge.

Ironically, this year their best player has been Devon Dubnyk. And they're making a strong push to get to the playoffs.

#23 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

I would look at dealing Gagner to Phoenix for Ekman-Larsson

Tell me how that goes

#24 Theflash99

Theflash99

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

I honestly don't think they'll dominate with these guys.

I think they will ,alot of the players are very young so wait and see.It only the third year in the rebuild.If the oiler rebuild it when the pronger crud happen this would have been a over very quick.

Edited by Theflash99, 19 March 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#25 Theflash99

Theflash99

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

I honestly believe the Wild will be a better overall team then the oilers will, sure oilers have top end talent but it stops at that. Wild seem to have a lot of "good" but not great players and with the right coaching they wont be too bad. Plus they have veterans locked up for the long haul

Really the wild nah the oil will be better.

#26 Theflash99

Theflash99

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

OIlers..

All fans are like that ,it is called a revialry .Do you think oilers fans like to see Calgary win.no

#27 Theflash99

Theflash99

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

they're eventually gonna be cap strapped and have to part with players they may not want to. Nuge, yakupov, hall, eberle, justin schultz are all going to be making 5-6 mill at least.

One of those players are going to be traded and sorry to say Yakupov could be the one(but the oilers do have alot of cap space once horcoff is gone.)

#28 Theflash99

Theflash99

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

I don't see them being much. They have no real big bodies, already screwed up giving Hall, Eberle 6 million dollar contracts, since that will be the benchmark for Nugent, Yakupov. Gagner should get a raise too.

They just keep finishing last or near last and I don't expect that to change soon.

I would of took Seguin over Hall and landeskog over Nugent. just imagine Landeskog-Seguin-Eberle

Seguin really? Hall is good player ,Segiun has the luck of being on a Stanley cup team with reallly good veterns.So he developed better.

#29 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

Even if they do, that's why there's Restricted Free Agency - Oilers can receive compensation for any player they can't afford to keep. Either that or their players might actually take a paycut to play together. Either way, they win.

#30 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

The Oilers are currently buying themselves a DeLorean so they can go back to the 1980s. They already are contending for playoffs this year, and one or two trades, followed by perhaps replacing Kruger with Crawford or Ruff should make them Stanley Cup contenders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.