The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Future expectations on the Edmonton Oilers

DSVII

Putting the divisional hatred aside, I'm curious as to why everyone is so hard on the Oilers right now. Keep in mind i don't follow the oilers so i don't know the intricacies of their organization, but from my understanding, they are at least attempting a proper rebuild unlike the flames, and these would take time.

Yes, they got three first overall picks in a row, but I'm not expecting Nugent Hopkins or even Yakupov to be having a breakout season for at least another 2-3 years considering how young they are. They were also ranked as having the best prospect pool of all the teams last year, with Goaltending and Defense being an issue (but that was before they signed schultz, so goaltending then...) But once the kids mature, they could be a force to be reckoned with (again, i don't know their ELC situation, so this may come into play?)

What do you think the Oiler's future is looking like? Would they eventually come to dominate the Northwest as the Canucks have? Or do you believe they'll continue to float in mediocrity due to other factors that are flying under the radar? (i.e management, cap/asset managing issues...etc)

Genuinely curious.

I don't see them being much. They have no real big bodies, already screwed up giving Hall, Eberle 6 million dollar contracts, since that will be the benchmark for Nugent, Yakupov. Gagner should get a raise too.

They just keep finishing last or near last and I don't expect that to change soon.

I would of took Seguin over Hall and landeskog over Nugent. just imagine Landeskog-Seguin-Eberle

I honestly believe the Wild will be a better overall team then the oilers will, sure oilers have top end talent but it stops at that. Wild seem to have a lot of "good" but not great players and with the right coaching they wont be too bad. Plus they have veterans locked up for the long haul

They have some talented young players, but they still have a lot of holes to fill on that team. They need their defense and net solidified, need to add some size and grit, and have to do all this assuming they'll have to pay more of their young guns bigger money. They set the bar with Hall and Eberle, and I'd say they probably set it too high.

It's also unrealistic to expect such a young team to contend for the cup, their young guys still have developing to do. Chicago won with a reasonably young core, and so did Pittsburgh, but those teams didn't have the holes this Oilers team has.

OIler fans talk about 2 things.

OIlers..

And Canucks losing. I dispise their fanbase for it, and wish their team nothing but failures for years to come. I will love nothing but to see this team fail.

evidence? Go to hfboards.com and go to their section. They always talk about how much they hate the Canucks.

Archived