The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

S4 or HTC one?

Tom Sestito

This comparison of various smartphones starts with this observation:

A zillion new smartphones are going to be announced soon at Mobile World Congress, each promising camera advancements that may or may not live up to the hype. Before we get there, though, we wanted to take stock of how good the cameras are in the smartphones you can buy now. Here's how the flagships measure up.

For this battle we ran five top-end smartphones through a gauntlet of tests to see what's working and what's not. We focused our efforts on the Apple iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S III, Google Nexus 4, and the newly announced Blackberry Z10. Following our last big smartphone camera battle in the fall, we were convinced of two things. First, that the Nokia 808 PureView is better than anything else, but you're never going to buy a Symbian phone. Second,
HTC's flagships come with rubbish cameras. So we didn't bother with those this time around.

http://gizmodo.com/5982478/the-best-smartphone-camera

See the article for side by side comparisons.

The final tally:

<p>

Overall

• Winner - Nokia Lumia 920: Using only the automatic setting, it gets an accurate exposure and decent image in all shooting conditions. You can't beat it.

• Second Place - iPhone 5 It's not the best at any one thing, but the iPhone 5 performs reasonably well in most settings, but the flash makes photos a total mess.

• Third Place - BlackBerry Z10: The Z10's details are beautifully sharp, which is a refreshing reminder that smartphones don't always have to shoot the fuzzy, soft photos we're used to. Still, the camera underperforms in terms of overall image quality—especially in low-light—compared to the field.

• Fourth Place - Galaxy SIII: Pretty impressive that the Galaxy S III's camera holds its own, despite being nearly a year old. '

• Fifth Place - Nexus 4:. For being Google's flagship Android device, the Nexus 4 is incredibly disappointing. Its camera is terrible even under optimal conditions. You have to cut corners somewhere to hit a low price point, and Google obviously skimped on the camera.

HTC One has a locked bootloader. If you don't know what that is, then it's a bit more of a toss up

However, it's also burdened by not having a removable battery or SD card slot (to my knowledge).

S4 if you need any of the above.

Beyond that, it can be a bit of a toss up.

iPhone as my brother said^

Amazes me how light the iPhone 5 is... compared to the already light iPhone 4S!

As far as the S4, can you really decide just yet? The phones not even out, yes yes they released what its going to look like and all, but thats not enough to decide! Go and try out all the phones!

Iphone is so over rated... HTC One over the Galaxy S4 due to it being cheaper and in terms of performance the S4 beats the HTC One by a tad as well as the upgraded software on the S4. As you mentioned the sound and camera on the HTC One beats the S4.

To the OP: are you specifically interested in a phone with the best camera, or the best phone all around?

This comparison of various smartphones starts with this observation:

A zillion new smartphones are going to be announced soon at Mobile World Congress, each promising camera advancements that may or may not live up to the hype. Before we get there, though, we wanted to take stock of how good the cameras are in the smartphones you can buy now. Here's how the flagships measure up.

For this battle we ran five top-end smartphones through a gauntlet of tests to see what's working and what's not. We focused our efforts on the Apple iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S III, Google Nexus 4, and the newly announced Blackberry Z10. Following our last big smartphone camera battle in the fall, we were convinced of two things. First, that the Nokia 808 PureView is better than anything else, but you're never going to buy a Symbian phone. Second,
HTC's flagships come with rubbish cameras. So we didn't bother with those this time around.

http://gizmodo.com/5...artphone-camera

See the article for side by side comparisons.

The final tally:

<p>

Overall

• Winner - Nokia Lumia 920: Using only the automatic setting, it gets an accurate exposure and decent image in all shooting conditions. You can't beat it.

• Second Place - iPhone 5 It's not the best at any one thing, but the iPhone 5 performs reasonably well in most settings, but the flash makes photos a total mess.

• Third Place - BlackBerry Z10: The Z10's details are beautifully sharp, which is a refreshing reminder that smartphones don't always have to shoot the fuzzy, soft photos we're used to. Still, the camera underperforms in terms of overall image quality—especially in low-light—compared to the field.

• Fourth Place - Galaxy SIII: Pretty impressive that the Galaxy S III's camera holds its own, despite being nearly a year old. '

• Fifth Place - Nexus 4:. For being Google's flagship Android device, the Nexus 4 is incredibly disappointing. Its camera is terrible even under optimal conditions. You have to cut corners somewhere to hit a low price point, and Google obviously skimped on the camera.

I had the htc one for a trial, really liked it, then tried the s3. You are right about the sound and camera and even the feel of the htc is better. But I chose the Samsung s3 because of the removable battery and micro sd slot. These new phones suck up battery like mad, it's a drag to have to keep charging the phone instead of just changing a battery. It was also much easier for me to move my music and movies around with the micro sd card. S4 isn't even out yet so I used the s3 for the comparison. Also there are Many models of the htc one, maybe the one you are looking at has different specs. Btw the sound and camera on the S3 is not that bad and with the s4 coming out, you can probably get a real good deal on the s3

I heard a lot of good things about the htc one, however the same cannot be said for the s4. Al though jacked with features, the reviews overall have been average. As some would say, a lot of gimmicky features.

btw since the announcement of the s4, apple stock has risen every day while Samsung's has dropped ever since the "show"

But please sample the phone first. I actually like the quality build of HTC phones.

iPhone as my brother said^

Amazes me how light the iPhone 5 is... compared to the already light iPhone 4S!

As far as the S4, can you really decide just yet? The phones not even out, yes yes they released what its going to look like and all, but thats not enough to decide! Go and try out all the phones!

One beats S4 in build quality and having nice front speakers (why is this not standard on every phone?) but S4 probably beats One in everything else. I'd go for the S4 since having an SD card slot and removable battery is pretty useful. Biggest factor for me is the massive online support for Samsung devices, you'll easily find some very active forums for the S4 if you're interested in rooting and playing around with your phone.

One beats S4 in build quality and having nice front speakers (why is this not standard on every phone?) but S4 probably beats One in everything else. I'd go for the S4 since having an SD card slot and removable battery is pretty useful. Biggest factor for me is the massive online support for Samsung devices, you'll easily find some very active forums for the S4 if you're interested in rooting and playing around with your phone.

Archived